[1.3.x] [No Longer Supported Here] Alien Space Programs 1.0 - Take KSC And Push It Somewhere Else!

Whirligig Girl

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 9:36 AM, Mrcarrot said:

Typo? in HomeWorldSetting.cfg, spelling needs to be exact, or nothing will happen. What kind of issues are you having?

Pretty sure we're both having the same problem - the game loads but the planet is still Kerbin. This has happened to me with Minmus and Tylo, but I haven't tried the other ones yet. I know RestoredDuna works but a bit of the ground is over the runway (the end you spawn on). You can see the problem there

Edited by Fireheart318

@Gordon Fecyk @GregroxMun I'm having some issues where starting up Minmus or Tylo Space Program (haven't tested the other ones, save for RestoredDuna, which works). I have all the proper mods installed and I typed the names right, use the proper capitalization, etc. I've also re-installed all the required mods. Instead of working properly, I get Kerbin and the following message -

"Warning

Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process. Loading your savegame is NOT recommended, because the mssing planets could corrupt it and delete your progress.

Please contact the planet pack author or the Kopernicus team about the issue and send them a valid bugreport, including your KSP.log, you ModuleManage.ConfigCache file and the folder Logs/Kopernicus/ from your KSP root directory.

OK (button)"

How do I send the folder? Just copy-paste the contents into a Pastebin document or something?

14 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

@Fireheart318 Pastebin could work I guess, or any number of public file sharing sites.

I managed to get Tylo and Minmus working without special effort. I wonder if some other planet mod is messing with the configs. Stock Visual Terrain needs special attention, notably.

--

I don't have any other planet mods, just ASP, Kopernicus, and Modular Flight Integrator.

I'm loading up Minmus right now to get the logs, but it'll take a while; all the non-planet-related mods use a crap ton of RAM

Edited by Fireheart318

Thanks for posting the log. Already I see a possible conflict with Atmosphere Fixer and the Alien Space Programs configs. If you want realistic atmospheres, I believe ASP already comes with configs copied from the Realistic Atmospheres mod and you just have to choose that setting in the same place as you choose the home world.

I'm also seeing conflicts with BD Armory, which appears to be looking for Kerbin when Kerbin doesn't exist, since it's been renamed to Bin. Internally the home world chosen gets named "Kerbin" but then gets renamed with cbNameLater and displayName in the Kopernicus configs.

What I had to do to make Environmental Visual Enhancements work was look for any reference to Kerbin and change it to Bin. Same for Scatterer. Whether a mod looks for the internal name or the cbNameLater name seems to depend on the mod; similarly, mods that are looking for Kerbin may or may not work with Galileo's Planet Pack because the home world is Gael.

Perhaps a good litmus test for ASP compatibility would be whether the other mods work with Galileo's Planet Pack.

13 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Thanks for posting the log. Already I see a possible conflict with Atmosphere Fixer and the Alien Space Programs configs. If you want realistic atmospheres, I believe ASP already comes with configs copied from the Realistic Atmospheres mod and you just have to choose that setting in the same place as you choose the home world.

I'm also seeing conflicts with BD Armory, which appears to be looking for Kerbin when Kerbin doesn't exist, since it's been renamed to Bin. Internally the home world chosen gets named "Kerbin" but then gets renamed with cbNameLater and displayName in the Kopernicus configs.

What I had to do to make Environmental Visual Enhancements work was look for any reference to Kerbin and change it to Bin. Same for Scatterer. Whether a mod looks for the internal name or the cbNameLater name seems to depend on the mod; similarly, mods that are looking for Kerbin may or may not work with Galileo's Planet Pack because the home world is Gael.

Perhaps a good litmus test for ASP compatibility would be whether the other mods work with Galileo's Planet Pack.

So just get rid of BDA?

Also, I can't tell if you're saying I am or not, but I'm not running Atmosphere Fixer (unless it's built in) or any graphics mods

Edit - Weeelllll that didn't work

Edited by Fireheart318

I'd start then with a fresh installation and putting mods back one by one. Or clone the installation you have, remove all items from the GameData folder except for the Squad folder, then test to make sure the game still works. Then put mods back one by one, launching the game with each added mod to make sure the game still starts. Starting with Module Manager, then Kopernicus and its version of Modular Flight Integrator, then Alien Space Programs.

If that sounds like rip, replace, reinstall like you see on a lot of b0rken PCs, that's because I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry about that.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I'd start then with a fresh installation and putting mods back one by one. Or clone the installation you have, remove all items from the GameData folder except for the Squad folder, then test to make sure the game still works. Then put mods back one by one, launching the game with each added mod to make sure the game still starts. Starting with Module Manager, then Kopernicus and its version of Modular Flight Integrator, then Alien Space Programs.

If that sounds like rip, replace, reinstall like you see on a lot of b0rken PCs, that's because I don't know what else to suggest. Sorry about that.

Welllllll that didn't work. I got rid of everything. Even my flag pack! Maybe it's just another case of things not working because the universe hates me or something? Does this work on Mac? If not I'll try it on my PC tomorrow

I wonder if there's a texture incompatibility if it's MacOS. DDS textures having trouble there.

I only know one person with a Mac and she has an older edition of the OS, but a working KSP installation there. Your log told me you were on 1.3.1 so I'll start from there and work backward.

I was able to reproduce your problem when attempting to use Minmus as the home world. Duna works. I'll test the other worlds to see what's going wrong on the MacOS version.

My first guess, again, is a texture incompatibility. I'll try to make sure all of the textures are MacOS compatible. I'll also log an issue in the repository.

Tested all home worlds, and Minmus and Tylo fail to work, producing the Kopernicus pop-up Fireheart318 described. I'll try to hack in a thin wispy atmosphere onto these to see what happens. So far, only happening on MacOS edition of KSP. Not likely a texture issue.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
testing results

2 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I was able to reproduce your problem when attempting to use Minmus as the home world. Duna works. I'll test the other worlds to see what's going wrong on the MacOS version.

My first guess, again, is a texture incompatibility. I'll try to make sure all of the textures are MacOS compatible. I'll also log an issue in the repository.

Aaallllrighty! Thanks

Ultimately, the problems with Minmus, Tylo and Laythe (as well) were caused by an update to Kopernicus that fixed some issues with home worlds. The home worlds needed to be parented around whatever body was Body 0 first, and then could be re-parented using PostSpawnOrbit{}. I was able to reproduce the problem on Windows as well as on MacOS when using KSP 1.3.1 and Kopernicus 1.3.1-2.

I'll post a pre-release to my fork of this project, but it is not fully tested yet. It works, but there may still be gameplay balance problems. I'll only do a pull request after I complete more testing.

There's some content in this edition that belongs to @Snark and his Jool Biome project. I did that because using the Kerbin biome map on Jool was just too out-there.

[09 NOV] There's now a 1.1.2 pre-release that includes localization and all of the other fixes I wanted to do. @Fireheart318 take a look and see if this works for you, and pinging @GregroxMun to review the pull request I submitted. Ultimately this is still his project.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Pre-release and pinging folks

On 11/4/2017 at 6:34 PM, Gordon Fecyk said:

[09 NOV] There's now a 1.1.2 pre-release that includes localization and all of the other fixes I wanted to do. @Fireheart318 take a look and see if this works for you, and pinging @GregroxMun to review the pull request I submitted. Ultimately this is still his project.

Okay. I'll test it once I'm done with my Ike station. I need a lot of solar panels for dat thing! Oooorrrr.... I have nuclear generators from another mod. Hang on up there! I'm bringing ya guys a nuke!

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, Fireheart318 said:

The "Launch our first vessel" contract doesn't complete on Tylo or Minmus.

Sorry for the delay in responding... I'll check on this. Again with the airless words; it might be because the craft is already above the 'atmosphere' at launch.

This might be a case of choosing a lesser of two evils. Do we want this contract and others that depend on atmospheric flight to work, or do we want correct engine specific impulse on atmospheric worlds? Maybe the answer is simpler than this.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:08 AM, Gordon Fecyk said:

Sorry for the delay in responding... I'll check on this. Again with the airless words; it might be because the craft is already above the 'atmosphere' at launch.

This might be a case of choosing a lesser of two evils. Do we want this contract and others that depend on atmospheric flight to work, or do we want correct engine specific impulse on atmospheric worlds? Maybe the answer is simpler than this.

Perhaps have the option to toggle a thin atmosphere in the world select thing? Just do it once to complete the contract and maybe some other stuff?

Or maybe just give Minmus a 1 meter atmosphere that's damn-near nonexistent? Or maybe just completely remove the contract altogether?

Edit - Maybe a mode could be added that moves the KSC to a lower point than the rest of the planet (on Minmus make a small crater in the "lake" for the KSC (without editing the map?) and put some gas in there.

Also, does anyone know of a planet pack with a planet or moon with a thick atmosphere only in canyons and no atmosphere anywhere else?

Edited by Fireheart318

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, Fireheart318 said:

The "Launch our first vessel" contract doesn't complete on Tylo or Minmus. I think it's something to do with airless worlds.

This is a goof on my part; the very last atmosphereCurve line needs to have zero density and I had 0.1. Changing the 9400 line to zero allows the Launch First Vessel contract to work.

I'll post an update to the repository shortly.

13 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

This is a goof on my part; the very last atmosphereCurve line needs to have zero density and I had 0.1. Changing the 9400 line to zero allows the Launch First Vessel contract to work.

I'll post an update to the repository shortly.

Okay. Thanks.

Real quick, could you tell me how to add an atmosphere to the Mun? I just need the basics like the names of the things I'm changing

Google doesn't want to help apparently :(

New pre-release on my fork repository that fixes the Launch First Vessel contract on Tylo and Minmus space programs. Also may fix broken localization because dictionaries apparently need to be in UTF-8 format.

@Fireheart318 did you want to make Munar Space Program or did you just want to put an atmosphere on the stock Mun?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.