Kaptain's Log Dev Thread - RC-2(9/12/2017) Now Available!!!!!

13 hours ago, Jacke said:

The tabs on Kaptain's Log 2 go Event Pause Settings, Event Capture Settings, Event Screenshot Settings.  The last 3 tabs on the Intro window have the same 3 columns, except they go Event Capture Settings, Event Pause Settings, Event Screenshot Settings, with the first 2 swapped around.  On the intro window Overview, the text describing the Second Page also swaps around Event Capture and Event Pause.

I'm not sure what you are looking at.

I just looked:

the Event Capture Settings button brings up the image of the Event Capture settings

The Event Pause settings button brings up the image of the Event Pause settings

The Event Screenshot Settings brings up the image of the Event Screenshot

The three images look similar, please double-check.

Regarding an earlier suggestion, I've added a help button (in the form of a questionmark) to the main window, which will bring up the intro/help window again.

I haven't looked into KSPedia yet, it is for the future.  This window was originally a simple window to tell people to GO TO THE SETTINGS.  It's now expanded into a much fuller set of help screens

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I'm approaching the finish line :-)

Need to finish up the Quick Export, and polish up the help screen text.

Not ready yet, but here is a teaser:

•         Added collapse of display when one of the followiing fields are sorted:
    •         VesselID, VesselName, MainBody
  •         Added Questionmark icon in upper left of window, it opens the intro/help window when clicked
  •         Added Quick Export
  •         Added delete button ( to delete all selected rows)
Edited by linuxgurugamer

Finally!

Release Candidate!!!!!

0.0.1.15-RC1:

• Fixed internal index counter
  • Added space between thumbnails
  • Added check on load to be sure the index isn't greater than logIdx, this can happen from a crash, or a revert/exit.  If check fails, sets logIdx to 1 greater than loaded index value
  • Moved permanent screenshotcnt to ScenarioModule
  • Merged both Scenario Modules
  • Disabled the "Log Entry Saved" message
  • Added check to NOT record log entry if debris got modified/destroyed

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KaptainsLog/releases/tag/0.0.1.15

Just saw KottabosGames review of this mod and it looks great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrsMoGt8Xvc

And had 2 questions...

First, Do you have to start a new game to use it, or can it be added to and existing save game. (obviously not recording events that have already past, only ones after installation) [Looked at the OP but did not notice anything about this, and KGs video appeared to say, had to start a new game]

Second, how much impact does all this event/data logging and screenshot/thumbnail capturing have on game speed. (Unnoticeable?, minimal?, noticible during heavy logging activity?, etc)

I've checked out the mod. Great job and incredible progress in these few weeks! Some bug reports based on the latest version:

• Typos
    • Kaptain's log intro window
      • Overall, I recommend you to make a double-spacing removal pass, unless it's intentional. 
      • Global pane: "to use global settings forall the settings". 
        • Overall, this and other paragraphs have a bit too many "settings" words in them. In many cases, you can simply skip the word or replace with pronoun.
      • General Settings pane
        • "thunbnails should be saved";
        • Double spacing on the following paragraph "The option __ Use Bliniear".
        • "If your thumbnails aren't clear". Recommended new phrase here.
      • Initial Display Columns pane
        • "which columsn are shown".
      • Evt Pause Settings pane
        • Last phrase requires colon: "Not that this button does not stay enabled: once all... "
        • Missing period at the very end. 
      • Evt Screenshot Settings pane
        • missing space after comma, lost "which" word: "specifies which events which,when captured"
  • Feedback
    • Game performance
      • Unfortunately, performance issues didn't go away on my heavily mod game. This is specifically noticeable in KSC and Editor scenes, where performance drops to 7-10 fps. 
        • Strangely enough, during the flight itself, where all the monitoring should happen, there's no noticeable impact. 
        • It's still pretty annoying when designing vessels. 

1 hour ago, BlackHat said:

Just saw KottabosGames review of this mod and it looks great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrsMoGt8Xvc

And had 2 questions...

First, Do you have to start a new game to use it, or can it be added to and existing save game. (obviously not recording events that have already past, only ones after installation) [Looked at the OP but did not notice anything about this, and KGs video appeared to say, had to start a new game]

Second, how much impact does all this event/data logging and screenshot/thumbnail capturing have on game speed. (Unnoticeable?, minimal?, noticible during heavy logging activity?, etc)

You can add this to any game, does not have to be a new game.

I'll be looking into the performance issues in the editor

1 hour ago, Yakvi said:

I've checked out the mod. Great job and incredible progress in these few weeks! Some bug reports based on the latest version:

• Typos
    • Kaptain's log intro window
      • Overall, I recommend you to make a double-spacing removal pass, unless it's intentional. 
      • Global pane: "to use global settings forall the settings". 
        • Overall, this and other paragraphs have a bit too many "settings" words in them. In many cases, you can simply skip the word or replace with pronoun.
      • General Settings pane
        • "thunbnails should be saved";
        • Double spacing on the following paragraph "The option __ Use Bliniear".
        • "If your thumbnails aren't clear". Recommended new phrase here.
      • Initial Display Columns pane
        • "which columsn are shown".
      • Evt Pause Settings pane
        • Last phrase requires colon: "Not that this button does not stay enabled: once all... "
        • Missing period at the very end. 
      • Evt Screenshot Settings pane
        • missing space after comma, lost "which" word: "specifies which events which,when captured"
  • Feedback
    • Game performance
      • Unfortunately, performance issues didn't go away on my heavily mod game. This is specifically noticeable in KSC and Editor scenes, where performance drops to 7-10 fps. 
        • Strangely enough, during the flight itself, where all the monitoring should happen, there's no noticeable impact. 
        • It's still pretty annoying when designing vessels. 

Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding the performance issue, could you please uninstall it and run the same game and see how your performances in the editor please. Someone else reported the same problems and it turned out to be other mods giving him performance issues. It doesn't do anything in the editor which it isn't doing in the flight scene so it doesn't make sense that it's causing an issue in the editor.

I will be addressing the typos, thank you very much

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you for the feedback.

Regarding the performance issue, could you please uninstall it and run the same game and see how your performances in the editor please. Someone else reported the same problems and it turned out to be other mods giving him performance issues. It doesn't do anything in the editor which it isn't doing in the flight scene so it doesn't make sense that it's causing an issue in the editor.

I will be addressing the typos, thank you very much

Double-checked. After uninstalling the mod, VAB fps jumps back significantly. Will try to get more precise data if you need me to, but tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Yakvi said:

Double-checked. After uninstalling the mod, VAB fps jumps back significantly. Will try to get more precise data if you need me to, but tomorrow.

Two more things:

First, are you using The Janitor's Closet?

Second, please send me a log file after it happens.  It would be best if you started the game, went into the editor, verified that it was happening and then exiting.

Thanks

New release, 0.0.1.16-RC2:

• Fixed some typos on the Intro screen
  • Fixed performance issue in SpaceCenter and Editor

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KaptainsLog/releases/tag/0.0.1.16

For those who might be interested, there was some old leftover code which had never been fully debugged or optimized from when I was trying to grab the escape key.  I didn't do a full cleanup, and it was calling the Unity function: GameObject.FindObjectOfType every single frame.

@Yakvi  I don't need that info, this fixes the problem

@Jacke This bug was also impacting you back when we were working on the earlier performance problem

A shout-out to @xEvilReeperx, who emailed me the solution at almost the exact same moment I found it.  I greatly appreciate the extra eyes.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, Yakvi said:

It's all gone (fps issues)! Thanks, now I can really start enjoying this amazing mod!

I don't have QuickGoto, but I have QuickSearch and Janitor's Closet, yeah. 

Glad to get confirmation it's fixed.

I fixed the typos you had mentioned, but haven't yet been able to remove the extra "settings" words.

Released!

0.1.0:

• Initial full release
  • Added screenshot on vessel rollout
  • Added pause on vessel rollout
  • Fixed "Add Crew" button, so that it will add the correct crew even for an older log entry
  • Made "Add Crew" button not visible if no crew to add
  • Fixed the global setting of screenshot values (some were hardcoded to the gui option)
  • Fixed bug where thumbnail wouldn't be shown for the last entry in the log

Release thread: 

I'm going to keep this thread open for a little while, while I finish up some additional features

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Linux,

I've installed kaptain's log and it doesn't appear to be working.  I get a constant stream of the following in the console "KaptainsLog: Snapshow scheduled, but queued event: Funds changed doesn't allow snapshots".  

To clarify not working, everything is there but it's not making any log entries.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyjywj48oosql3w/output_log.txt?dl=0

Log file.

Edited by DSM20T

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.