Kessler's syndrome

Wragie

8 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

You can change it in Settings->General: Max Persistent Debris (it's a slider)

While you can have plenty of debris around, you really don't get Kessler syndrome effects since the debris can't hit non-focused satellites nor each other.  Also objects in LEO tend to drop out reasonably quickly (I'm guessing Vanguard went much higher.  It isn't coming down anytime soon), while objects in LKO won't decay unless PE is less than 70km.

35 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

Honestly, debris to me is kinda cool, because when it flys by you you can go "hey! that was from XYZ mission!"

just a thought

i someday leave the nosecone of a cst-100 and the upper stage of what bring my space station to orbit in a similar orbit, they crashed and produced a ring of debris, that were orbiting kerbin, i deleted them, by the finish mission button, because they anytime can crash with the o-zone, or any ongoing mission

I like to keep LKO clean, but the one piece of debris I leave, come and passes seriously about 20 meters from my   very expensive new mothership. It was a 2nd stage of some ridiculously large lifter I made for the lulz. But even if it hit my mothership, I doubt it would create Kessler syndrome, the ship would be destroyed, but parts don't turn into tiny debris like in real life. That would be a cool mod though, if small debris parts could be spawned from the destroyed part... Just my ideas.

16 minutes ago, Scout1218 said:

I like to keep LKO clean, but the one piece of debris I leave, come and passes seriously about 20 meters from my   very expensive new mothership. It was a 2nd stage of some ridiculously large lifter I made for the lulz. But even if it hit my mothership, I doubt it would create Kessler syndrome, the ship would be destroyed, but parts don't turn into tiny debris like in real life. That would be a cool mod though, if small debris parts could be spawned from the destroyed part... Just my ideas.

well, i will leave debris only for realism, but i will be carefull, because the nosecone of my last mission is still near the odissey

My preferred method of getting rid of debris in LKO uses a prevention strategy.

Use SSTOs to get to LKO no debris is better than no debris.

If you need a multi stage vehicle, stage while suborbital.

Or stage while the debris intersects the SOI of Mun or Minmus. Eventually it will collide with either body or gravity assist its way out of the Kerbin SOI. Actually, I have quite some second stages in solar orbit, even though the space craft never went beyond Minmus. With that being said, I have some debris flying around but only ancient stuff is in LKO.

Speaking of OCD, I'm 99% sure it's Kessler Syndrome.  Not Kessler's. Even on Don Kessler's web page, he calls it Kessler Syndrome.   For some reason that has been bugging me.  *shrug*. 

Edited by Gargamel

I make sure to mark any derelict as debris once the crew has been rescued.

If I decommission a satellite I rename it to indicate so and mark it as debris as well, but most of my satellites and probes are designed to become relays when they are decommissioned.

Edited by Ruedii
Speelen Earrers

Kessler Syndrome... That's why my save is either a: reusable rockets or b: have cores on stages and tugs to deorbit them. End result: Minmus has Kessler Syndrome now (should stop launching to Minmus)

• 1 month later...

The majority of my launches go to a 75 by 75 orbit where they lose the spent stages. After that they leave to other destinations. But I have a crew on a ship equipped with a claw whose job is to go to the debris belt and remove the pieces. One time the ship got hit by another debris but it was at 10 m/s.

The only issue with debris I've had is shortly after I've discarded it.

Once in Kerbol orbit, I decoupled some excess parts (from the front of the craft) right before a transfer burn, and ended up plowing right back into it when I hit the engines.

Another time I had a service module shoot past the command module on a re-entry... probably within 2-3 meters.

Other than that I've had a few ~20km flybys, which is kind of cool.

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Once in Kerbol orbit, I decoupled some excess parts (from the front of the craft) right before a transfer burn, and ended up plowing right back into it when I hit the engines.

Another time I had a service module shoot past the command module on a re-entry... probably within 2-3 meters.

The trick is to jettison in the right direction...  retrograde in the first instance, normal or anti-normal in the second.

I've tried to purposely recreate said syndrome(I.e launching a missile full of junk), but the closest any debris ever got was within 3 meters of a space station I set up as the target. No matter how perfect of an orbit I had the station at, I couldn't get a strike by any junk. :/

1 hour ago, Jeb federation said:

I've tried to purposely recreate said syndrome(I.e launching a missile full of junk), but the closest any debris ever got was within 3 meters of a space station I set up as the target. No matter how perfect of an orbit I had the station at, I couldn't get a strike by any junk. :/

You just need more junk...

...or more stations...

...or both. :D

3 minutes ago, Cadet_BNSF said:

And how powerful is your computer?:)

Adequate... for something I built 4 years ago.  Built it more for 3D modeling and rendering, but it works well enough for KSP/GPP + 90-odd other mods.  Framerate is still measured in frames per second, and not seconds per frame, on crafts with 100+ parts.  I don't build stations (not yet, anyway), so above that, I have no idea.  Docking a pair of 80+ part ships doesn't affect the game much, and I've never been much of a framerate junkie.

If I actually get to keep my tax refund next year (instead of paying bills I got behind on), I plan to build a new comp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.