JDCollie

Skirting Death - Share Your Closest Calls

31 posts in this topic

was going for low mun orbit at 5k AP or so and a mountain snuck up and tore off 3 out of 4 engines engines, flew back home with thrust barely on because the craft just wanted to spin. i managed to land back after 10+ passes around kerblin to slow down enough.

1 person likes this

This is from quite some time ago, but Jeb had a trip home from the Mun go not QUITE as planned...

EBzcrZO.png

Another instance of the craft in a "pristine" state.

gDGvinM.png

The craft after Jeb tried too hard to skim the ground on take-off and found a ridge the hard way ... and Jeb still made it back home somehow!

LEqJn4p.png

On 8/12/2017 at 11:23 AM, eloquentJane said:

@Hotaru was that a nuclear lightbulb engine on that lander? It's a good job KSP doesn't model radiation, or your kerbals definitely wouldn't've been so lucky.

Yep, they make great lander engines if you aren't bothered about irradiating the landing site. Almost as good as those new nuclear aerospikes from NFT.

4 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Almost as good as those new nuclear aerospikes from NFT.

You use those for landing? They're designed for launch vehicles. Are you trying to land whole cities at once?

2 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

You use those for landing? They're designed for launch vehicles. Are you trying to land whole cities at once?

No, I haven't used them at all yet. But I do like large landing craft...

PS. On the topic of both large landing craft and the actual topic:

m7TjGDR.jpg?1

The close call here was that not only did no kerbals die (it was a pretty low-speed crash), but that station the ship is about to crash into was completely undamaged (although it was knocked out of position a bit.)

Edited by Hotaru
1 person likes this

It was a Duna trip I believe. Spent too much dV on the way down in the lander. I knew it wasn't possible to return to the mothership with everything as it was. I planned for the unexpected though, and had a fully stocked KIS/KAS locker to work with. Inspired by a certain book, I went to work stripping down the lander to its essentials. Landing legs? Off. Science crap? Off. The launch window comes and I blast off. I spend my last drop of fuel and check the trajectory. Suborbital. Game over, right? Not yet. RCS comes online. Poof. RCS gone. Jeb leaps out the hatch and starts RCS burning. It's close as hell but I get a stable orbit. To be safe, Jeb sits tight and the mothership comes to him. The dV I spent doing that would cost me big later. For now, Jeb goes into cryo sleep. Years later, when the return window finally arrives, the ship begins its departure burn as scheduled. We sail out of the Duna SOI. In interplanetary space, the ship ignites the engines one last time for the return burn. Poof. Not even close! Not again... It's ok, I've planned for this too. The command and life support modules detach from the massive mothership and RCS comes online. Again, it's not enough. Game over, right? Never! I've been in this position before, and there is a way to get back with a little luck. Jeb thaws. You can actually get out of the command module and PUSH with your RCS pack! So Jeb gets out and starts pushing. I'm getting closer, closer, SOOO close...when....poof. EVA RCS gone. I watch in horror as Jeb floats away into pitch black interplanetary space, to die alone with zero chance of recovery. As I'm desperately searching for something I could possibly do, I notice the drill still in Jeb's inventory. I get a crazy idea, an impossible idea...but just maybe. I reload the game to when I detached the command and life support modules, and burn most of the RCS again with Jeb still frozen. I'm headed for Kerbins SOI, but I'm not even close to a direct intercept. I let the ship sail all the way until I'm in Kerbins SOI. As far out as life support allowed, Jeb thaws and EVAs, drill in hand. I detach the heat shield from the command module. Using KAS connector ports, I attach myself to the back of it, and start burning. Pe drops below 70, with fuel to spare. And thus Jeb became the first Kerbal to survive an EVA reentry. One of my greatest regrets in life is that I didn't record this...it was just a casual Duna mission and wasn't supposed to be worthy of recording.

Edited by Zapo147
unthaw isnt a word
5 people like this