Skylon

Request for a Stock Bearings and Propeller Guide

Question

Is there a good guide on building stock bearings and propeller engines? I am very inexperienced in building them, and I haven't successfully built an aircraft entirely powered by them yet.

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Skylon said:

Is there a good guide on building stock bearings and propeller engines? I am very inexperienced in building them, and I haven't successfully built an aircraft entirely powered by them yet.

The only person I know for sure that has a video on creating a propeller engine is @RoverDude on his Twitch account.

1 person likes this

Moved this thread over to Gameplay Questions.

1 person likes this

I have limited experience with stock bearings. However, I can recommend the mod collide-o-scope. It shows the colliders of the actual parts, which really helps with bearing construction

Edited by qzgy

I'm certainly no expert on stock propellers, but I do use quite a few stock bearing designs. (Mostly on rover's with trailers.)

Lots of images follow so I'm going to put the rest under a spoiler tag, just click it to see.

Spoiler

The first design is larger and more robust, but awkward to use:

CmTAIdc.jpg

It's basically a structural fuselage with some girders dropped through it. The seperator let's it drop in and leaves it free to rotate.

03o3SvC.jpg

The smaller design is heavily inspired by @Majorjim! (I suggest reading his thread on the subject for ideas as well.)

6Yi4xZ3.jpg

This design consists of thermometers placed around an RCS nozzle. It's small and handy, but does come with a somewhat high part count depending on how you design it.

KCVJgLI.jpg

And just for fun, here's a prototype 3 dimensional hinge I was working on based on the same principles.

I4hr5zD.jpg

1 person likes this