Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Ah, yes, just as Stellaris: Megacorp drops.

Interesting bit at the end: their ‘partially’ reusable booster would be using RD-171Ms. Perhaps it would look rather... Ukrainian.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Ah, yes, just as Stellaris: Megacorp drops.

Interesting bit at the end: their ‘partially’ reusable booster would be using RD-171Ms. Perhaps it would look rather... Ukrainian.

Ukrainian tanks, Russian engine, assembled in USA, launched in international waters. “Russian rocket”...

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Russia has opened a final assembly plant in USA? Well, once it should happen.

From what I understand, elements of the design had to be detached due to arms contorl issues.

Which reminds me of other kinds of import tricks.

171a9b5s-960.jpg

It’s not a Japanese car if you cut a piece off and ship it separately before welding it back together.

Structural issues? C’mon, it’s not even from Fukushima.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I truly hope this happens. If they can get a super heavy rocket off the ground with the capability to actually do something, that would be amazing. And if they can get people to the Moon...

I'm worried about funding, though, given the current state of Russia.

Depends on how you look at it. For the guys at Novosti Kosmonavtiki it's a purely military launcher with the lunar upper stage as a sideshow.

Just now, DDE said:

Depends on how you look at it. For the guys at Novosti Kosmonavtiki it's a purely military launcher with the lunar upper stage as a sideshow.

Hmm. Maybe that would work then.

But what would this new super heavy launch vehicle offer besides higher payload capacity over Angara? Spy satellites can only get so heavy, and I can't imagine any other legal payloads.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hmm. Maybe that would work then.

But what would this new super heavy launch vehicle offer besides higher payload capacity over Angara? Spy satellites can only get so heavy, and I can't imagine any other legal payloads. 

Conventional weapons are entirely legal - not to mention the distinct expectation of further arms control breaches.

Or "weapons based on new physical principles".

pole9.jpg

*winks in droplet radiator*

Edited by DDE

4 hours ago, DDE said:

“Dmitry, see this 100 ton particle beam? We want it in space. Here’s moneys.”

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

And regolith bricks sintered with lasers.

From swords to very sharp ploughshares.

In unrelated news, the construction company for the Angara pad in Vostochnyi, likely selected due to being heavily embedded with the government of Tatarstan (spreading the pork is evidently not a problem for Russia’s largest majority-Muslim republic), is on the verge of a forced bankruptcy, creating risk of a contractor change.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3826862

Edited by DDE

@tater, it’s likely they’ve had a few PR shuffles, and they’re using every chance they get.

https://www.rt.com/news/446041-roscosmos-rescue-iron-man/

Sounds not dissimilar to MoD changes after the trainwreck of the MH17 shootdown briefing; they got a little bit slicker but it’s the volume of publicity that changed manifold. Very noticeable with regards to the operation in Syria starting late 2015.