This universe has a story!

It would be nice if each planet would have its own geological and scientific characteristics. What it misses in the game is the deepness in science, I mean: for example collecting a soil sample from the mun scientists could discover that it was originated by kerbin suggesting some new experiments or areas where take new soil samples to confirm or reject this hyperostosis. The same with minmus: taking a soil sample scientists could see that it is made of ice (instead of find this info in the description of the planet at the very beginning of the game). The same could be for the other planets as well, adding new experiments such as atmospheric samples, in situ spectrometry, in situ optical observation of a sample, deep soil sample and so on.

It would be also great then have the possibility to find microbial life on a planet. All the previous examples work perfectly with this. More, in order to make this discovery more fascinating and surprising, it could be that not in all the games it is possible find it, but at the beginning of a new game there is a random possibility to introduce it somewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I've 2 thoughts with this idea. 

1. KSP will never go indepth in this kind of stuff, the base/stock game is simple, and I think they wnat to keep it that way. 
  2. KSP already does it in it's own way. Once fullfilling some certain contracts, you get the contracts to move to Apha, Beta, enz, on the planet and do experiments. Even when you've already done those experiments, you still get sciense from them through the contract itself. It's not like that you get extra information over the planet itself or something like that, but IMHO I don't think that's not wat KSP really needs. :) 

5 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Hmm, I've 2 thoughts with this idea. 

1. KSP will never go indepth in this kind of stuff, the base/stock game is simple, and I think they wnat to keep it that way. 
  2. KSP already does it in it's own way. Once fullfilling some certain contracts, you get the contracts to move to Apha, Beta, enz, on the planet and do experiments. Even when you've already done those experiments, you still get sciense from them through the contract itself. It's not like that you get extra information over the planet itself or something like that, but IMHO I don't think that's not wat KSP really needs. :) 

Although I see your point and do agree, I see both sides of this suggestion. Adding more content would make these very medial tasks a bit more tolerable and give more interest to those who plays the career mode. I would advise simply leaving it to a Mission Debriefing option after a contracts completed so you can hear what the scientists, engineers and contractors have to say on your findings.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:36 AM, Ginlucks said:

It would be nice if each planet would have its own geological and scientific characteristics. What it misses in the game is the deepness in science, I mean: for example collecting a soil sample from the mun scientists could discover that it was originated by kerbin suggesting some new experiments or areas where take new soil samples to confirm or reject this hyperostosis. The same with minmus: taking a soil sample scientists could see that it is made of ice (instead of find this info in the description of the planet at the very beginning of the game). The same could be for the other planets as well, adding new experiments such as atmospheric samples, in situ spectrometry, in situ optical observation of a sample, deep soil sample and so on.

It would be also great then have the possibility to find microbial life on a planet. All the previous examples work perfectly with this. More, in order to make this discovery more fascinating and surprising, it could be that not in all the games it is possible find it, but at the beginning of a new game there is a random possibility to introduce it somewhere. 

As to his POV, this is realistic and again, adds more meaning. The game lacks surface activities severely. With only a few parts that perform science on the surface, coupled with soil samples, and EVA Reports, there's nothing to do and if it's solely for the sake of science spam, then it makes a tedious task even more tedious. Whereas in real life, During the Apollo missions (he mentioned the Mun, so why not continue with it), crews went to different sites and locations for a reason. Apollo 11 went to Mare Tranquilitis because it was a flat plains area in a crater (iirc). Apollo 12 went to the Ocean of Storms. 13 was going to to Fro Mauro Crater, ended up becoming Apollo 14's landing site. Apollo 15-17 I don't recall off the top of my head, but they went to the last three locations for lunar geology missions (bit of a oxymoron there). They didn't go to those locations because "we haven't been there yet", it was because there was possible science and information about the moon that could be gathered there.

14 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Adding more content would make these very medial tasks a bit more tolerable and give more interest to those who plays the career mode

Yep, but that's what almost all suggestions are about. Don't get me wrong haha, I love going indept in realism details. I think this suggestion would make a perfect mod I would install for sure. But I think this isn't something for stock. In my eyes, stock KSP is the basic engine you run the game you want on. :) 

3 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Yep, but that's what almost all suggestions are about. Don't get me wrong haha, I love going indept in realism details. I think this suggestion would make a perfect mod I would install for sure. But I think this isn't something for stock. In my eyes, stock KSP is the basic engine you run the game you want on. :) 

Don’t forget console. They don’t get mods.

Uni

and

Verse

The proof is in the putting, isn't it?

I personally think it will be a thing to port mods to consoles. At worst at the mercy of a extra service/management that will have a small fee. I don't mind paying a buck or 2 for the greater mods out there.

Having mods on consoles drastically raised the incentive to own a console.

So it's only good for ms or sony to go there if they still have further ambitions.

I'm not saying this is easy to do. But we can, we just don't do.

I agree that it could be a mod (I really don't know if it could be easy to implement or not, but i dont think so) but since they have to introduce something new in New releases why don't dream a little bit about it? :-)

On 20/10/2017 at 3:02 AM, MoarBoostersRUS said:

This would be a great idea as a mod. I would definitely install 

The mods have also one big problem, sometimes they are not supported anymore and they are abandoned. More, they need very passionated persons that work on them for free. 

On 20/10/2017 at 12:46 AM, DrLicor said:

One last thought: It will not affect the game making it more complicated such as it was for the antenna system (can't remember the name... ) But just more interesting.

Please forgive the shameless necrobump but ages ago I had a somewhat similar idea for making science collection a real integrated part of the gameplay:

Im sure at this point this much more than the stock game could ever really do, but I'd love to collaborate with some folks on building a mod around it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.