[1.12.x] Whirligig World Planetary System: An Absurd Homeworld In An Alien Solar System. 0.13.0: Dermun! Ice worlds! Better Scatterer!

Whirligig Girl

5 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

It's actually not really trivial to rename a planet, so late in the development process. I have to make sure every single config file that references the planet is changed, and there's a lot. Not just the planet config, but any planets orbiting it, the description files, the science definitions, mod support files, all the texture filenames. Unless there's a really good reason (like if a name is offensive or sounds just really bad to me, or I come up with a much better name) then it's hard to justify the tedium and risk of accident involved.

I'm not advocating one way or the other here. But I just wanted to point out that if you do decide to rename a planet, a good IDE will be able to help rename all those different things for you so you don't have to try to do it line-by-line.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:53 PM, sturmhauke said:

I'm not advocating one way or the other here. But I just wanted to point out that if you do decide to rename a planet, a good IDE will be able to help rename all those different things for you so you don't have to try to do it line-by-line.

So yes, but it's also a matter of making sure all the relevant files are remembered to be opened and that auto-renaming something like "Mally," for instance, doesn't also rename "Normally."

On 3/7/2020 at 1:14 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Does the latest version still work on 1.7.3, assuming I have the correct version of Kopernicus?

Nope. Lots of 1.8.1-specific changes.

Tomorrow at 3 PM Eastern Daylight Time (7:00 PM UTC) @Shamash and I will be doing a release livestream as usual (though a few days late) on his Twitch Channel.

0.12.1 Valyr Value

Note: This is a patch for 0.12. Go read 0.12's changelog!

Main changes:

Valyr has been neglected for too long. I mean who would want to visit it, right? Flat islands on a massive planet? No thank you. BUT NO MORE. Valyr's terrain has been significantly revamped, and now has more interesting and varied biomes for you to visit, each based upon one of the regions of Chris Wayan's planet Lyr. Now Valyr is a cool and interesting place to visit! And I dare you to return from it!

Asteroids now have their ore reserves cut one hundredfold. They've still got an enormous amount of ore because they're so huge, but now their ore mass is no longer such a huge part of their total mass.

Also you know how in 0.11 I changed all the science multipliers? Turns out they never got applied in-game. Also a bunch of other weird and unpredictable behavior was happening with the homeworld swap configs, but NO MORE! Also no more module manager warnings.

With that out of the way, here's the full changelog:

• Add much more interesting and rewarding terrain noise and some hand-drawn features to Valyr.
  • Add brand new biome map and 17 biomes to Valyr.
  • New terrain material shader for Valyr
  • Cut ore mass one hundredfold on asteroids.
  • Metallic asteroids can now reach 10x rather than 5x the stock sizes.
  • Adjusted CRP Asteroid resources.
    Fix low altitude terrain materials being very very dark on Kerbmun.
  • Remove Kaywell_A Science defs as they were overwriting other science definitions, presumably due to the absence of Kaywell A by default.
  • Fix Dakkon's name in a few science definitions that were causing overwriting problems.
  • Rewrite many MysteryGoo definitions.
  • Actually apply ScienceValues modifiers in-game.
  • Fix biome map ambiguity for Kerbmun, Derbin, Mesbin, Gannovar, Yeerbor, Jifgif, Aerious, Yalthe, Mally, Lowel, Rutherford, and Jancy.
  • Change displayName of Shol's nearside clouds to say near and not far.
  • Change ModuleManager configs to fix some warnings and make science definitions work properly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This mod was annoying at first. But once I figured it out (and installed an FTL mod to get places easier, KSPIE doesn't work probably because of an ID conflict with the NERVA engine), I love the challenge it poses. Valyr is my favourite of all the planets, it's such a blast trying to land just right so I get on a continent.

F6BHqbb.jpg

What a gorgeous sunrise.

fbsjXxK.jpg

Barely enough ablator! I assume this also happens in Real Solar System. Jeb here is going on exile because he ███████ ██████ █████████.

I'm usually pretty expressionless but this actually made me happy.

Edited by zit

• 2 weeks later...

https://github.com/GregroxMun/Whirligig-World/releases/tag/0.12.3

Note: This is a patch for 0.12. Go read 0.12's changelog and 0.12.1's changelog and 0.12.2's changelog

The major feature, as the update name suggests, is the revamp of Mandrake & Rutherford's four little moons, Lozon, Beagrid, Jancy, and Tatian. Where they had previously been boring lumpy balls that I couldn't even spare a science definition for, now they're all really quite interesting and unique worlds. But there are some other changes, notably that the Kaputnik Probe Core now behaves as originally intended: it can no longer be piloted with the pitch/roll/yaw keys nor the fine throttle keys, but must be controlled only through the "limited control" controlset.

Changelog

• Revamped terrain and rebalanced surface gravity for Lozon, Beagrid, Jancy, and Tatian.
  • Removed the secret atmosphere from Etrograd.
  • Added a tenuous atmosphere to Tannor.
  • Tweaked spaceAltitudeThreshold for Tannor and Tyepolbynar.
  • Make Shol's backside glow again when EVE is installed.
  • Slightly changed Mesbin's texture.
  • Add homeworld swap patch to the EVE volcano lights on Mesbin.
  • Remove Lito's EVE clouds.
  • Make Kerbmun's terrain actually look good again.
  • Update Kerbmun Homeworld mode planet descriptions.
  • Add new plugin: ModuleCommandLimitedControl, and apply the new module to Kaputnik probe core.
  • Fix broken Mesbin Homeworld mode planet description config.
  • Make it impossible to rescale the terrain on Mesbin and other nonspherical bodies using Sigma Dimensions, so that terrain rescale can be used without breaking Mesbin.
  • Change barometer experiment's biome mask from 3 to 7.
  • Add new science definitions:
    • Bluedog Design Bureau IR Spectrometer
    • BDB Geiger Counter
    • BDB Camera
    • DMagic Orbital Science SIGINT
    • New definitions for Lozon, Beagrid, Jancy, and Tatian.
    • Change science definitions on Etrograd and Tannor.
    • Make the barometer work better on Mesbin's north polar basin.
  • Biome changes:
    • Fix biome ambiguity on Kerbmun's biome map
    • New biome map for Statmun. Polar region is larger, and the biome map includes large craters.
    • New biome maps for Lozon, Beagrid, Jancy, and Tatian.
  • Three new [REDACTED] can be found around [REDACTED].

44 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:
    •  
  • Three new [REDACTED] can be found around [REDACTED].

Ooooo

Once 1.0 comes out and I can finally stop expecting changes to worlds that would affect bases, I may have to pick up Conquering Whirligig again and try and find these [REDACTED]. Hopefully they will show up on anomaly scanners, otherwise I think I'd be out of ides.

How much more would you say has to be done before 1.0?

Also, marginally related, I was playing with Toy Solar System today all the way back in 1.0.5 and I'm finding it pretty entertaining. On the original thread there is a dead link to a version that is even smaller (N scale solar system I think). Do you still have this lying around somewhere or am I out of luck?

14 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Ooooo

Once 1.0 comes out and I can finally stop expecting changes to worlds that would affect bases, I may have to pick up Conquering Whirligig again and try and find these [REDACTED]. Hopefully they will show up on anomaly scanners, otherwise I think I'd be out of ides.

How much more would you say has to be done before 1.0?

Also, marginally related, I was playing with Toy Solar System today all the way back in 1.0.5 and I'm finding it pretty entertaining. On the original thread there is a dead link to a version that is even smaller (N scale solar system I think). Do you still have this lying around somewhere or am I out of luck?

You can easily replicate the functionality of both Toy Solar System and smaller scales like N-scale (1/100th stock scale iirc) Solar System using the Sigma Dimensions mod. Just make sure you set the day length scale to exactly the square root of the rescale factor, where rescale factor = resize factor.

I'm not really sure when 1.0 will be coming. I think it will be out before the end of this year. I can however promise within reasonable doubt that I won't be changing the terrain on any major bodies except MAYBE (but unlikely) the following:

• Mesbin (but all the infrastructure is baked into whatever changes I'd make anyway)
  • Dakkon
  • Totooa
  • Gannovar
  • Ollym
  • Pragnik

So playing Whirligig World at this point would almost certainly be safe as long as you avoid permanently settling those bodies until WW 1.0. Orbits are pretty much settled, and I don't plan on adding any bodies to the main mod (Maybe a minor bodies expansion pack would be nice but as a separate download) A lot of the changes I foresee from now on are mostly peripheral changes like science definitions and tweaks to mod compatibility patches and visual stuff, and frankly most of that stuff can wait for after 1.0 without really affecting existing save files.

Edited by GregroxMun

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:51 PM, zit said:

Installed this with KSPIE. Loading stops and never resumes past the NERVA engine.

You installed something incorrectly. Check all of your folder directories and make sure you don't have any gamedata folders within folders within gamedata, or mod folders which have version names, etc. Never install Whirligig World through CKAN.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 4:41 AM, Li Jinchao said:

I hope the home planet can be added an atmosphere to make it easier to land.Without atmosphere,it's hard to land,you know.:0.0:

Mesbin will never have a full atmosphere. If it ever becomes possible to add atmospheres to nonspherical planets, it won't be done on Mesbin, it'll have to be some other new planet. Don't get your hopes up. All of Mesbin's gameplay and lore is built around over two years of Mesbin being airless. That's not going to change. Mesbin is not that hard to land on, it's just like landing on Tylo. And if you really want an easier game you can play on Kerbmun. But honestly if you want an easy game, Whirligig World isn't for you.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:04 PM, KIMCHI said:

I love this but I don't want to swap homeworlds. Is there a way to make this a star somewhere far away I can visit it?

Interstellar Consortium is supported by WW, but I don't know the current state of that project, and if it's updated for 1.8.1.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 3:07 PM, GregroxMun said:

Mesbin will never have a full atmosphere. If it ever becomes possible to add atmospheres to nonspherical planets, it won't be done on Mesbin, it'll have to be some other new planet. Don't get your hopes up. All of Mesbin's gameplay and lore is built around over two years of Mesbin being airless. That's not going to change. Mesbin is not that hard to land on, it's just like landing on Tylo. And if you really want an easier game you can play on Kerbmun. But honestly if you want an easy game, Whirligig World isn't for you.

This planet pack reminds me of Larry Niven's Known Space stories, which are full of barely-habitable worlds. In particular, the moon Jinx is somewhat like Mesbin, but stretched at the poles instead of the equator:

Jinx is an oblong moon, pulled out of its round shape by its proximity to Primary, a gas giant orbiting the star Sirius. The equatorial region is shrouded in high-pressure gas, and no one goes there except to hunt Bandersnatch. The Ends stick out of the atmosphere entirely, providing centers for vacuum-based industry centers and spaceports. Between the Ends and the center are two bands of habitable living space.

Jinx has more mass than Earth. Over the years, the people of Jinx have evolved into a squat, stocky race, as wide as they are tall, and very strong compared to humans, though they tend to die younger. Jinxians are horrible punsters.

http://www.larryniven.net/humans.shtml

On 7/7/2020 at 11:32 PM, sturmhauke said:

This planet pack reminds me of Larry Niven's Known Space stories, which are full of barely-habitable worlds. In particular, the moon Jinx is somewhat like Mesbin, but stretched at the poles instead of the equator:

http://www.larryniven.net/humans.shtml

Jinx doesn't actually work, unfortunately. If the moon were stretched by tides, the atmosphere would follow as well, and pressure would be equalized. This should happen to Mesbin too but KSP forbids it, which is why I have put Mesbin's atmosphere in a deep basin, so it wouldn't spread out.

Mesbin is very much more like Hal Clement's Mesklin.

Egad, however, is vaguely inspired by Canyon/Warhead, and in the Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered planet mod, Eve is based on Plateau.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...