What do kerbals do with their dead?

Avery616

On 10/24/2017 at 6:02 PM, Avery616 said:

I know kerbals go "Poof" when they die but surely they give up some sort of particles. So if these particles are recovered.....What do the kerbals do with it? Spread it like ashes?

In my universe, Kerbals are asexual fungi but have many different castes within the species.  When they die, they pop and release a cloud of spores, like a puffball mushroom.  One of the Kerbal castes is the Gardener, about the oldest differentiable type, whose duty it is to gather up the spores of the dead and plant them in good soil.  The spores can exchange genetic material with each other and various other compatible things in the soil, so no sprout is an exact clone of the dead Kerbal.  The sprouts become self-aware for a while before separating from their rhizome and going off to fulfull whatever duties fall to their caste. 

The Kerbals we see in the game are all 2 separate worker castes (with many other, and rather more important, castes staying safely below grade).  Those among us prone to humanocentric biases view the visible Kerbals as 2 "genders" but gender is really a totally alien concept to Kerbals.  They're just major and minor (based on size) worker castes, rather like in ant and termite colonies.  As such, Kerbals have no families and definitely don't want children as this means they've died/popped.  Only the Gardener caste cares when and where a Kerbal pops.  The others just go about their business.

Edited by Geschosskopf

• 2 weeks later...

within the atmosphere of kerbin swirls the death-dust of a billion dead

Victims of a long ago war..its scars of the landscape grown over and healed by the planet itself

Visible on mountains and hillsides where grass never grows.. The grey dust on mountains portray the truth behind the tranquility

It is but an emptyness..left only to kerbin itself and the timeless dance of the planets

The lucky ones who survived...or unlucky depending on your view must wear helmets and spacesuits lest they breathe in the remains of thier brethren.. 

Until the time that they..expire..joining thier kind in the dust

On 25/10/2017 at 1:14 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I was going to post a picture of the KE-WAITNONOSTOP-01 Unreconstitutionator from the Kethane mod, but can literally find not one single picture of it.

I've never been able to find the Kethane mod itself at all, for that matter; only other mods that work with it.

19 hours ago, ARS said:

Mystery goo report: the goo feels right at home here

So... it's their remains?

I like to think of the goo as a Kerbal analogue of the Squigs from Warhammer, a kind of symbiotic creature kept for food and stuff.

Edited by Guest

On 11/17/2017 at 10:43 AM, eloquentJane said:

Viking-style funeral. Except instead of a boat it's a rocket. And instead of igniting it with a flaming arrow they just throw the whole thing into the sun.

But only for well connected kerbals, the rest have to make do with being "mechanically recovered" and then processed into heat shield ablation material.

Something to think about that on your next fiery re-entry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.