The KSP Caveman Challenge 1.3.x - 1.10.x [re-booted]

Preparing For My First Entry in this Challenge.

So...I'll probably start with Easy(Talc.)

(Why didn't I see this before??? I just like to do this, but I never took records of it...)

By the way, are any mods allowed??(Trajectories, BetterBurnTime, BetterWarpExtended, KER, SmartStage,SafeChute, CapCom, Contract windows +, StageRecovery, X science(!!!)   I forgot some others.)

Want to use all that are allowed.

Edited by DunnoAnyThing
mistake..

4 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

(Why didn't I see this before??? I just like to do this, but I never took records of it...)

By the way, are any mods allowed??(Trajectories, BetterBurnTime, BetterWarpExtended, KER, SmartStage,SafeChute, CapCom, Contract windows +, StageRecovery, X science(!!!)   I forgot some others.)

I'm not sure about [X]science, and unfortunately all of the others are gameplay modifications, and hence are zilch.

Only aesthetic mods are allowed, no change in gameplay is permitted.

14 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

Welcome aboard! Talc difficulty level is definitely the way to go if you are out to learn Caveman techniques. As stated in the official challenge rules, NO gameplay modifying rules are permitted. That includes all above mentioned mods.

Here's another update from my Diamond attempt. I finally unlocked Electrics and put Bill in a money making orbit around the Mun.

https://imgur.com/a/ff434

I'm not really sure what to do next though. To do effective unmanned missions I need a lot more tech like small reaction wheel or the small fairing. I don't have much easy access science left. So... we'll see.

I'm trying to do it on Diamond too! I unlocked electrics, and I plan on trying to get the green monoliths. The slim chance of unlocking precision engineering (a.k.a. better probes, better small decouplers, better struts, and much, MUCH better antennae) is just too good to pass.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

4 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Oh my god I actually did it! I foud Minmus' green monolith!!!

8lDRSjL.jpg

Am I the first caveman to pull this trick?

'cause that was intense!

You are in fact, the first Caveman ever to find a green meanie monolith! :cool: Congratulations!

10 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

You are in fact, the first Caveman ever to find a green meanie monolith! :cool: Congratulations!

Really? Awesome!

I think I'll try doing it again with Mun.

Just asking, trilobite is for going to another planet, right? I think I may do that, either this run or the next.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

35 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Just asking, trilobite is for going to another planet, right? I think I may do that, either this run or the next.

Yes, the Order of the Trilobite is awarded for interplanetary missions and for completing a Corundum + difficulty level.

9 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

Will there be a new thread?

for 1.4.0?

I heard 1.4.1 is coming up very soon.

This thread will carry over for 1.4.x 

All challenge attempts started in 1.3.x will still be accepted.

13 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

https://imgur.com/a/l9RBD

Opening a new standard Caveman career for 1.4.0. This is the result after 37 minutes in-game.

Best,
-Slashy

@GoSlash27, It's great to have you back! "Jettison Scrap & Salvage" - That is such a good name for a fictitious company. One of these days I'll have to rack my brains and create my own. :)

Edited by The Dunatian

7 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

"Jettison Scrap & Salvage" - That is such a good name for a fictitious company. One of these days I'll have to rack my brains and create my own. :)

The Dunatian,

Thanks, it's actually a reference to an obscure '70s tv series called "Salvage 1"; possibly the most Kerbal tv show of all time.

Best,
-Slashy

At the 1 hour mark. I have just about all the pieces I need to start harvesting space science, so the real fireworks will commence shortly.

Ro2LSqr.jpg

I've done most of the work so far with this little guy:

RWkFnr9.jpg

Best,
-Slashy

Well, my first interplanetary mission was more or less a fail, because I underestimated the dV I needed, and despite trying to get a resonnant orbit I couldn't get back to Kerbin.

I did still get to Duna. Well, I don't think that's a trilobite, but I was almost there!

Anyway, let's finish my diamond run.

Edit: actually, scratch that, there's still a chance.

Edit 2: And I officially shattered every single of my close calls by entering Kerbin's atmosphere with 0.02 fuel left. Oh god. This is my most epic mission ever.

This is NOT a hyperbole. Well, the fact it is one proves the figurative one isn't.

cZ7YeMq.png

Oh and did I mention this mission was 45 years long?

I'd have never done this mission if I knew it would be SO TIGHT.

But I'm glad I did.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

End of the second hour.

Spoiler

ckvF4eL.jpg

My first orbital flight was supposed to be a test of the science reentry capsule. I screwed up and forgot the decoupler, so the test never happened. I did, however, recover the high altitude flight science and successfully recover the probe. I'll try again on the orbital science missions (this time without the "oops").
After that, I'll shoot 2 Munar probes and get back to harvesting Kerbin science.

Best,
-Slashy

DIAMOND COMPLETED!!!!!

Well, that wasn't much more difficult than corundum, and my experience with the former really helped me to win. I still have room for improvement, notably on that last mission that was so much of a near-miss my heart forgot to beat (seriously, what was I thinking? This is only my 2nd manned mission to Duna EVER!), and I had quite a few fails, too, but none were lethal, fortunately.

So, I inaugurate the "diamond" category of 1.3, and finish the first run in 1.4, neat.

2GHCqB0.png

UtHGyYY.png

Bonus: Fireworks to celebrate! Destroying my last probe as a final act after it transmitted is slowly creeping as a tradition.

OqCOjiT.jpg

End of the 3rd hour.

Spoiler

taHZXpZ.jpg

Here's my Kerbin orbit rocket:

Spoiler

fqDTBeS.jpg

The reentry vehicle works as advertised; doesn't need SAS to stay stable. 
Next step is to launch a couple Munar probes, then start flights around Kerbin's biomes to collect science while waiting for their return.

Best,
-Slashy

End of the 4th hour.

Spoiler

nWpvAJV.jpg

I screwed up and wasted time (and a little money). I forgot to put antennae on my Mun probes. Luckily, I caught the error before they got too far, and was able to collect some science and recover them intact.

*EDIT* End of 5th hour.

Spoiler

H4kPQP7.jpg

I've corrected the mistake and have 2 good probes on their way to the Mun, but lost an hour of valuable daylight in the process.

From here on out, I'll do daily updates instead of hourly.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.