Astrid SSTO

Geonovast

My first SSTO, minimally customizable.  With the cabin option, you should be able to have at least 600m/s for the swivel to get around in orbit.  Fully stock.

I've been launching it full throttle by taking off at about 80-90 m/s with SAS on stability.  Set at 10 degrees, and let go of the controls.  At about 20km, light the swivel(2).  Make sure to toggle the Whiplashes off once they flame out(1).  About 30km, switch SAS to prograde, keep burning until Ap is about 80km.  Kill throttle.  Circularize at Ap.  Re-enter with (3) toggled, straight prograde until under 1000 m/s.  Make sure you kill the swivel before re-entry(2).  I'm certainly no expert, I'm sure there's a better way to fly it.  This is just what I've been doing.

Craft: Astrid SSTO

Stats (with Cabin):

• 49 Parts
  • 25.651 Tons
  • HWL: 3.2m, 11.1m, 14.5m
Action Groups

Toggle dual Whiplash Engines
2 Toggle Swivel Engine
3 Toggle A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. and dual Twitch Engines
4 Toggle Service Bay doors and Dock Port
5 Toggle Solar Panels
Lights Toggle Gear Lights and nose cone Light
Brakes Toggle Gear Brakes
Gear Toggle Gear

The two wings on the sides of the cabin are actually attached to the fuel tank behind it, so it's really easy to swap that piece out:

cscreenshot155.pngb77screenshot156.png

819screenshot157.pngd30screenshot158.png

screenshot165.png

screenshot167.png

screenshot170.png

5b0screenshot173.png

5 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'm not crazy about the square gap though, maybe that's just me. I'd fill it in with a wing board or two; the air intakes won't care.

The gap was actually sorta on purpose.  I like it. I know the game won't care about stuff in front of air intakes, but it bothers me.

36 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The gap was actually sorta on purpose.  I like it. I know the game won't care about stuff in front of air intakes, but it bothers me.

I hear ya, I don't like blocking them off with nosecones either; I'll usually offset it back into the air intake so only a tiny bit of cone is showing, or I'll pull it forward to make a gap.

The wing isn't that thick though, it's just dividing the air intake in two half's; that's how I look at it anyways lol when I'm trying to justify my cheatyness to myself.

Maybe you could leave the square gap on the inside but connect them on the outside? Just spit-balling ideas here by the way; it's your plane after all. By all means, don't change it on my account.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

14 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I was gonna mess with it on the rest of my lunch break, but 1.3 is telling me it's incompatible.  (It was made in 1.3.1)

If it's all stock parts, just change the version line in the .craft file with your favourite text editor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.