What's This Do?

Hello friends.

Can someone tell me what the "Mobile Processing  Lab MPL-LG-2" does? :huh:

If I include this module in a space station I don't have to return gathered science to Kerbin to get the science points? I can just return to this Mobile Lab and I get the science points? Is this what it does?? :huh::huh:

In its current incarnation, it can take science data, process it to 5x value with at least one scientist on board, and transmit it. It does not exclude transmitting or returning an identical experiment; data processed by an MPL is outside the normal track. Processing is sped up with higher level scientists, and I think costs electricity.

It's overpowered IMO, and I don't use it anymore.

3 hours ago, Kerbal7 said:

If I include this module in a space station I don't have to return gathered science to Kerbin to get the science points? I can just return to this Mobile Lab and I get the science points? Is this what it does?? :huh::huh:

@Rocket In My Pocket has the link to follow, but that is the technical explanation.

For a more straightforward answer:  yes and no.  Yes, you get science points, but no, it does not count exactly the same as returning science to Kerbin.  What I mean by that is that if you take an experiment to the lab and process it there, then you get some amount of science eventually, but it does not count at KSC as a returned experiment.  The science returned by the lab is more of a 'general science' point value that is not specific to any experiment, much like the science you get from some contracts, strategies, and world's firsts.

The MPL has other uses, too:  it can store duplicate science experiments and reset one-time experiments such as Mystery Goo.  Scientists can reset Goo as well but the lab can do it without needing an EVA, which could be important on some missions and is convenient on most missions.  If you have your game set so that kerbals need to return to Kerbin to level up (though I don't know why anyone would choose that setting now that there's a choice) you can use the MPL to award any pending experience and level up the kerbal while you are in space.

39 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I'm pretty sure it needs two scientists to operate at all. Unless that changed. 

I ain't saying your wrong, I don't have the game open atm. The wiki is also known to be a bit unreliable, but it does say you can get away with just one. I wouldn't know for sure, I've honestly never sent less than two! (I mean why would you?)

Once the lab contains some stored data and one or two scientists, the "Start Research" option is enabled, where a small percentage of the data is then converted into stored science, measured in "sci/day".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.