Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

3 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

alrighty, so...

Derp. So I dunno what I did, but my flight AI re-tunes here actually made them worse at combat than the original. Back to testing.

Anyone have any tips to stop planes from spinning out? Not that such flight AI tuning makes a positive difference... my Vipers seem to win more often with tuning that has a chance of spinning them out, rather than fly more stable.

Set AOA to about 22-25 and steering factor to about 8, steer damper to about 6. And g-limit to around 14-17.  It's a fine line especially with unstable aircraft.

2 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

Set AOA to about 22-25 and steering factor to about 8, steer damper to about 6. And g-limit to around 14-17.  It's a fine line especially with unstable aircraft.

Yeah... I found that they weren't aggressive enough though lowering AoA and the steering factor.

I'll try it later again, but my previous days of testing tuning them down cost me all my fights against the Du-3, let alone the Rabid Squirrel (which I hate the most actually lol) and the TFD.

My original tuning won me those fights fairly handily.

Edited by Box of Stardust

45 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Yeah... I found that they weren't aggressive enough though lowering AoA and the steering factor.

I'll try it later again, but my previous days of testing tuning them down cost me all my fights against the Du-3, let alone the Rabid Squirrel (which I hate the most actually lol) and the TFD.

I hate the rabid squirrel too.

Rabid Squirrel I think is the fighter most like my Viper. Which is interesting since I barely remembered what the RS was while making my Viper; I barely watched its battles.  And it was my last fighter to download and test against. Most of my initial testing and experience was against the TFD and Flying Squirrel (where I learned to hate those maneuverable buggers early).

Also, so far, it seems to me that I can either tune my flight AI more optimally against the RS and be less optimal against the TFD, or I can fight the TFDs optimally but be even against the RS.

@exbyde I'm going with my trash-tune MkIIc. It somehow manages to be really effective. Though its effectiveness is diminished in the current format with the long-range format, as I believe it's been mentioned before, since they start a lot lower than their intended altitude.

Also, has anyone figured out the heat rating system yet? Because I somehow managed to do the impossible while building my Viper and built the thermal-stealthiest fighter I've seen in the air...

I've done a little testing and all it did was put me back to square 0 about any ideas on how it works.

Maybe slap a command chair and a RTG on it and send it to Jolly Roger Aerospace's jet fighter tournament on YouTube? He's short a couple of planes for the next chapter.

BD Armory wiki seems to say that IR missile lock is based on parts temperature, range, and line of sight, so maybe your spreading engines out is helping with IR locks.

Edited by goduranus

7 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

If you switch back and forth between aircraft while fighting they'll act more aggressively. 

1 hour ago, Steven Kerman said:

AtEoorh.png?1

I don't know if this affects anything major, hopefully not.

Doubt it. This is the first update since company changed hands iirc so just routine

6 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

Umm, new to this competition, searching for crafts to test again... but noticed that many(most?)of the crafts at the leaderboard are missing links. Are they intentional, or just a simple mistake?(I couldn't find some of them in kerbalx. maybe my mistake...)

Thanks.

Aircraft submitted for the old thread and rabbid squirrel (due to editing issue) are not on the roster with links. Sorry

I've discovered the magic behind the Viper's relatively low thermal signature, and it is the dumbest, stupidest, simplest thing ever. I'm also not telling you guys, in case you don't know. :wink::D

@exbyde have my new apex predator, the PEGASys-D1. (Enter alongside the Viper... would still like to see that thing have a run when it gets its turn.)

Also, I've heard that spectating one of the aircraft in a dogfight might have effects on the outcome, so recently I've decided to test them while flying a neutral aircraft. It's less exciting since it's away from the action, but at least I do it in style.

(not the PEGASys, just ~80 extra more useless parts in the sky)

MDjWodU.png

also i can beat the TFD fairly reliably this way so ya

11 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

also i can beat the TFD fairly reliably this way so ya

Really? Are you doing 1 VS 1 or 3 vs 3. I'm not afraid of your design. Put it of against the @goduranusRabbit plane and @dundun92s DU-3D. Show me three 3 vs 3 videos of it then.

Right now, I'm afraid of the Cooke and du-3X.

Whats it part count anyway?

14 hours ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Yay!

Edited by Guest

20 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

Really? Are you doing 1 VS 1 or 3 vs 3. I'm not afraid of your design. Put it of against the @goduranusRabbit plane and @dundun92s DU-3D. Show me three 3 vs 3 videos of it then.

Right now, I'm afraid of the Cooke and du-3X.

3v3, standard rules of aircraft starting from both airfields, meet across the water.

I've done so much testing, but haven't kept a victory count. I'm fairly sure it's at least 50/50 chance, but my last few rounds of testing I can remember have been fairly solid victories. At the least, I rarely lose a match without taking 1 or 2 down. Seems to come down to who fairs better out of the initial merge... and if there's no Sidewinder friendly fire incidents on my team lol.

Things get a bit weird when I spectate aircraft directly and results get more confusimg; I was told earlier in the thread that it has some sort of effect. So I watch from an observer aircraft (that's the one in the pic, not the drones I actually send to fight; I just like watching in style) that stays above the combat out of their way; combat is typically 3-4km away. I'd go in closer, but I'd probably have to do it in a boat or something that doesn't significant generate heat.

oh yeah, I think that's where the confusion came in. The pic isn't of my fighter, that's just the observer.

That also reminds me, I should grab the fighters from the queue and test against them; I've only tested against the leaderboard at this point. 

55 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

3v3, standard rules of aircraft starting from both airfields, meet across the water.

I've done so much testing, but haven't kept a victory count. I'm fairly sure it's at least 50/50 chance, but my last few rounds of testing I can remember have been fairly solid victories. At the least, I rarely lose a match without taking 1 or 2 down. Seems to come down to who fairs better out of the initial merge... and if there's no Sidewinder friendly fire incidents on my team lol.

Things get a bit weird when I spectate aircraft directly and results get more confusimg; I was told earlier in the thread that it has some sort of effect. So I watch from an observer aircraft (that's the one in the pic, not the drones I actually send to fight; I just like watching in style) that stays above the combat out of their way; combat is typically 3-4km away. I'd go in closer, but I'd probably have to do it in a boat or something that doesn't significant generate heat.

oh yeah, I think that's where the confusion came in. The pic isn't of my fighter, that's just the observer.

That also reminds me, I should grab the fighters from the queue and test against them; I've only tested against the leaderboard at this point. 

1. @exbyde does not use a chase plane. Results will be different when he does it. He switches between plane during rounds.

2. Dogfights should start at 15km( not 8) your plane better have enough range to go 35km and back. @exbyde actually does it at 35km now.

3. Please show me videos of this.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.