Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion thread

Chel

10 hours ago, DAL59 said:

I just watched this...

OMG... WOOHOO!!!! I don't care about reviews, or what anyone else thinks, honestly... hehehe... I believe this may be what I wanted to see... the backstory!!! How did they all come together??? How did Han get the Falcon???

Wait... Chewie is WHAT????  :0.0:

I am all sorts of excited now!

Edited by Just Jim

I really want to like this movie.... but I'm suspicious after the "Last Jedi" train wreck.
 I won't be watching it on opening weekend, no matter how good the trailer looks. I'll wait until the audience ratings come in on RT and then decide.

Best,
-Slashy

41 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

I really want to like this movie.... but I'm suspicious after the "Last Jedi" train wreck.
 I won't be watching it on opening weekend, no matter how good the trailer looks. I'll wait until the audience ratings come in on RT and then decide.

Best,
-Slashy

Agreed... it looks like it could be fun, but I'll wait until I hear from the most reliable movie-reviewer I know, my daughter!  :wink:

Meh, the one thing I learned from The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens was not to get sucked into the Star Wars fandom, nor to trust their audience ratings, since my opinion of both films seems to be more-or-less at odds with the prevailing 'wisdom'.

Solo isn't on my 'must see at all costs' list by any means but I have enough Star Wars geeks in my circle of friends that I'll probably see it on opening weekend anyway. I'll take it as it comes and form my own opinions.

7 hours ago, KSK said:

Meh, the one thing I learned from The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens was not to get sucked into the Star Wars fandom, nor to trust their audience ratings, since my opinion of both films seems to be more-or-less at odds with the prevailing 'wisdom'.

Solo isn't on my 'must see at all costs' list by any means but I have enough Star Wars geeks in my circle of friends that I'll probably see it on opening weekend anyway. I'll take it as it comes and form my own opinions.

Agreed... I'm encouraged because it looks like the kind of "backstory" movie I was hoping for... maybe.

But I'm waiting to see what my kid says... we tend to agree on most everything movie related. And she'll tell me exactly what she thought, not what some reviewer said... hehehe.  :wink:

On 4/10/2018 at 7:48 AM, Just Jim said:

she'll tell me exactly what she thought, not what some reviewer said... hehehe.

Just Jim,
 To be clear, I'm talking about what the audience thinks, not the critics. The two are often at odds, and I almost always find myself in agreement with the audience.

Best,
-Slashy

7 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Just Jim,
 To be clear, I'm talking about what the audience thinks, not the critics. The two are often at odds, and I almost always find myself in agreement with the audience.

Best,
-Slashy

Congrats on 4k rep!

On 4/10/2018 at 8:48 AM, Just Jim said:

Agreed... I'm encouraged because it looks like the kind of "backstory" movie I was hoping for... maybe.

But I'm waiting to see what my kid says... we tend to agree on most everything movie related. And she'll tell me exactly what she thought, not what some reviewer said... hehehe.  :wink:

They've already announced the next movie with back story:

http://collider.com/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-movie/

Yes, kiddies, an entire movie about Obi-Wan Kenobi. But it gets better than this...

So far, from various sites I regularly get my Star Wars nerd kicks on, here's what's being discussed:

Obi-Wan, besides Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, and the Emperor, are my favorite characters.

1 minute ago, GoSlash27 said:

But.. we know how Han got the Falcon. He won it from Lando in a sabacc game.

Sorry, spoiler alert... :D

-Slashy

Yes... but... (invoking some of my favorite MASH card playing episodes) I want to see that actual game... which I think they're teasing in the trailer!!!  :cool:

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I want to see that actual game... which I think they're teasing in the trailer!!!

Yeah, I kinda got the impression that Han didn't have a good hand there....

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

(invoking some of my favorite MASH card playing episodes)

*whistles nonchalantly*

3 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

All evil characters. Evil characters are fun.

To be quite honest, by the nature of the Star Wars saga, here's what we know. But remember, when they made the director's edition for the VHS and subsequent releaases of Star Wars, there's a bit of dialogue which was changed. And it involved Vader and Tarkin...

What we know from the Star Wars universe about the "evil men" as named by @GoSlash27:

• Grand Moff Tarkin was the chief of all the governors in the Galactic Empire. He was the Emperor's original second in command.
  • In the original theatrical release of Star Wars, even Darth Vader called him, "my lord", signifying that Tarkin had more rank and standing than he.
  • Darth Vader's main mission was always the apprentice to the Emperor.
    • When he claimed that the "circle was complete" when fighting Obi Wan in Episode IV, Darth Vader meant that now he would be a Jedi in addition to being a Sith Lord.
    • Vader's character flaw - striving for greatness from the very beginning (episode IV) became a focal point for the entire Star Wars saga...
  • The Emperor was extremely intelligent - which is why I hate Episode VI. It does not fit in with who they made the emperor out to be in the original saga. Then when you add Episodes i - III, you see he would never have let himself be placed in a position where he would have been killed.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed the movie. The characters were believable, and Han felt like a younger, more naive version of the Han we know, which is exactly what you'd expect from a younger Han. I liked the aesthetic of the lawless underside of the galaxy, especially knowing the events of the prequels. I liked seeing the still somewhat nascent Empire enforcing it's tyrannical rule and the chaos it left the people in. 

I like how the Falcon making the Kessel run in twelve parsecs actually makes sense as a sentence now. 

It feels like ordinary people trying to live their lives under the feet of giants like the Empire, which is a really cool feeling in my opinion. That said, I'm interested to know how the Rebellion started and got traction. Clearly there were many small factions fighting against the Empire from the start, but when did it turn into an organisation with leaders and X-Wings?

I enjoyed it too, but when my son asked what my favorite part was, I couldn't come up with one. The train job, I suppose. But I was glad to see a few parts of the canon included and not overwritten:

Spoiler

Chewie rescued from Imperial slavery - Check! (ok, not quite slavery at the time; close enough)

Han won the Falcon from Lando in a sabacc game: Check! (sneaky scripting on that, but yup)

Kessel Run: Yeah, okay, but... Check!

Granted, it varied from what was written in the Expanded Universe novels (especially the Maw), but that's to be expected

53 minutes ago, cubinator said:

That said, I'm interested to know how the Rebellion started and got traction. Clearly there were many small factions fighting against the Empire from the start, but when did it turn into an organisation with leaders and X-Wings?

My understanding was that the leaders of the various resistance groups (Bel Iblis, Mon Mothma, Ackbar, to name a few) got together and hammered out an alliance. Where they got the ships from (starfighters and capital ships) is a good question, because why didn't the Empire smash those factories flat before the Rebellion could put up a fight?

I was under the impression that the rebellion stole the ships. How they maintained them? Who knows. But by the time the rebellion gained traction I could see them gaining enough support to maintain their fleets.

5 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I was under the impression that the rebellion stole the ships. How they maintained them? Who knows. But by the time the rebellion gained traction I could see them gaining enough support to maintain their fleets.

Makes sense, good point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.