Looking for information about a titanium tank from Salyut 7

polandmet

Hello

Excuse me if I write in wrong topic.
Im looking for more info about this titanium tank. Its most propably from Salyut 7 space station.  But Im not sure and also dont know what was it for. Fuel tank ? Do You have any idea ?

Its 13kg and 38cm diameter

salut7a.jpg

salut7b.jpg

Thanks

3 hours ago, insert_name said:

Where is this? Do you have a source for these photos? Is there anything that looks like writing on it?

Either an pressurized fuel tank or an helium tank, Reentty burned away the connector making an hole an cat can get in but not out.  

Hi

It is mine alredy. Im in meteorite business and in 2007 in Tucson I have seen two of them being sold during mineral show. Now I purchased this one from Australia. For me its valuable as a funy item conecting man made item with meteorites. No markings on it. But as far as I know they was from the fallen Salyut 7 station. But this is all I know

Most probably it's for inert gas (nitrogen or helium) used for its pressure-fed engines.

(If it's indeed from space, as planes also have similar "accumulators of pressure" filled with compressed (72 atm or so) air.)

Edited by kerbiloid

If you google image search for Salyut fuel tanks, there are several similar pics referred to as Salyut helium tanks. There are parts of the world were these things come down fairly often.

I think though that it is a common enough item that being so specific ("salyut 7" or even anything "salyut") is probably not possible, you cant even really narrow it down to Russian equipment unless you have more information on it.

It seems fairly safe to say that its some tankage from space though, damage seems consistent with other recovered examples, and also not-consistent with other common earth-bound damage.

Would be a good idea to cross reference its supposed date and location of recovery with information about what orbital tracks passed overhead at the time.

If you really wanted to get proof that it is an object from space, you could have it (or part of it) examined microscopically for impact craters, or have its metal spectrascopically analysed for alloy composition (which it might be possible to match up to documentation)

Here is an article about a similar item being examined by the London Natural History Museum (I dont know why its not at the Science Museum, which is next door...)

http://fernlea.tripod.com/tank.html

Edited by p1t1o
left in a copy/paste remnant

Thanks 

Becouse its titanium and its heavly melted Im sure it fall from space. There is also one perfect micrometeorite impact crater.

If You have time take a look at my post here http://www.meteoryty.pl/tytanowe-meteoryty-z-tytana-prawda-czy-mit/
There Im holding another fuel tank in 2007 and showing protos of my tank before I bough it

I will most propably do any analyses of this material and maybe also check for cosmic radiation

P1610156.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.