Brainlord's random feature requests Part II

VAB master fuel slider
A master tweaker in the VAB and (more importantly) the SPH so you can quickly defuel the entire craft evenly at once, (or using the priority?)  so you can calc the dV and see the CoM move.

VAB CoD indicator
Center of Drag

Electrical Consumption Overlay
Just like the heat overlay, but it shows which parts are consuming power and how much. So you can see that you left the ISRU unit on, or that those wheels have power even though they are in the cargo bay.

Fuel Status Overlay
Just like the heat overlay, Highlight all the tanks from green to red based on how full they are. (you really can't see anything w/ the current gazillion sliders).

(You could page through all the overlays just by hitting F11 over and over)

Alternate Action Groups
I need more action groups.Using shift, control or alt with the number seems intuitive, but I realize we use those keys for throttle, maybe we could use numlock or scroll lock or something.

oh, and more noises:
Now that RCS hisses, we need wheel motors whirring,  docking clamps clamping, and  bumps, scrapes, and scratching when we don't dock , and how about an "ooomph" when a Kerbal falls down.

EDIT: Oh, and the cube (that marks the CoM) in the center of the asteroids needs to be replaced with the CoM marker from the VAB. (This game actually has a thing that the player understand means "Center of Mass" but for some reason you're not using it.)

Thanks guys 

great game! :D

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

1 hour ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

oh, and more noises:
Now that RCS hisses, we need wheel motors whirring,  docking clamps clamping, and  bumps, scrapes, and scratching when we don't dock , and how about an "ooomph" when a Kerbal falls down.

Yes, proper sound effects add so much immersion. Wasn't there a sound Kerbals made, tho? I remember some mod changing it to a rubber-duck "Squee!", that was hilarious.

42 minutes ago, monstah said:

Yes, proper sound effects add so much immersion.

Indeed.

Even though they add nothing to the gameplay, I can't play without mods like Chatterer, Docking Sounds, Wheel Sounds, and until it was added, the RCS sounds.

2 hours ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

VAB master fuel slider
A master tweaker in the VAB and (more importantly) the SPH so you can quickly defuel the entire craft evenly at once, (or using the priority?)  so you can calc the dV and see the CoM move.

Yes please.

I've seen the other suggestions/requests before, but this particular one speaks to me.

3 hours ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Fuel Status Overlay
Just like the heat overlay, Highlight all the tanks from green to red based on how full they are. (you really can't see anything w/ the current gazillion sliders).

If you mouse over the individual resource in the resource display in the top right, it displays the amount of that resource in all the modules containing that resource.  It can be a little cluttered at times, but it will do exactly as you ask.  And if you click the littel checkbox next to the resource, the windows will stay open, and you can arrange them as you wish. 

Edited by Gargamel

6 hours ago, monstah said:

Yes, proper sound effects add so much immersion. Wasn't there a sound Kerbals made, tho? I remember some mod changing it to a rubber-duck "Squee!", that was hilarious.

You don't know when two ship have bumped against each other or are rubbing against each other. Audio feedback would be valuable. (and scare the hell out of me!)

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

If you mouse over the individual resource in the resource display in the top right... It can be a little cluttered at times,

Cluttered? LOL unreadable. 

Now that I think about it the "overlay" thing (i.e the ability to color code individual parts according to a game-play variable, like heat) is REALLY extensible.

Not just power, heat, or fuel status, but everything; stress, torque, thrust, DRAG! (the drag lines really don't show you which part is creating the drag) imagine overlays showing which landing strut  or wheel is taking all the impact. where the ship is stressing before it breaks apart on launch.

I think this overlay thing needs to be really really expanded.

34 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Cluttered? LOL unreadable. 

That's why if you click on the resource tab, they stay up, you can then drag each window to certain location.  

pnlpFep.png

EDIT2: But I see now that I originally misread your post.  I don't know how I feel about this, but I think it's more into mod territory, than a stock feature.  There are some tanks out there that carry a multitude of fuels, some service modules carry LfOx and Mono, there would have to be options to toggle between them.  

Another option that I use a lot is the TAC fuel balancer.   Allows for easy fuel transfers, but also shows each tanks (and other resources) fuel level.

Edited by Gargamel

On 3/1/2018 at 7:57 AM, monstah said:

I laughed just reading this! Do you know the mod, I want it!

8 minutes ago, Cortwade said:

I laughed just reading this! Do you know the mod, I want it!

Found it! It was this mod:

It adds sparks and collision noises, and makes Kerbals go "Ooomph!" when they fall down. You can go into the mod's directory and change the sound, so, naturally, somewhere on the thread someone uploaded a rubber duck...

@Brainlord Mesomorph I know you were asking for stock implementations, but I believe this mod covers an item on your list :) 

37 minutes ago, monstah said:

It adds sparks and collision noises, and makes Kerbals go "Ooomph!" when they fall down. You can go into the mod's directory and change the sound, so, naturally, somewhere on the thread someone uploaded a rubber duck...

Hahahaha... Oh, man, does this make it tempting to install this mod! :D

On 3/1/2018 at 9:57 PM, Gargamel said:

That's why if you click on the resource tab, they stay up, you can then drag each window to certain location.  

That's fine for your example, but when you start having craft with 50+ parts, many of which are tanks, then its a huge mess.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:38 PM, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

VAB master fuel slider

+1

VAB CoD indicator
Center of Drag

+1, or an overall "aerodynamic forces" indicator. Often a craft will appear stable based on CoM and CoL, but be unstable due to a draggy front

Electrical Consumption Overlay
Just like the heat overlay, but it shows which parts are consuming power and how much. So you can see that you left the ISRU unit on, or that those wheels have power even though they are in the cargo bay.

Meh

Fuel Status Overlay

I'd want some hotkey to select/unselect all empty/full tanks of the selected resource type. It can be a real pain when trying to refuel a multi-tank craft. Its also a pain when using a multi tank craft to refuel another.

An overlay to help find the tanks that still have fuel/haven't been filled would still be useful, so +1

Alternate Action Groups
I need more action groups.Using shift, control or alt with the number seems intuitive, but I realize we use those keys for throttle, maybe we could use numlock or scroll lock or something.

I generally find 10 to be enough, but why not... I still want the ability to edit action groups in flight (like have an engineer go up to a part, and then you could click through what action group its assigned to... null, and then 1 to 10).

oh, and more noises:

Meh, its true they did start this, there are gear extending and retracting noises that weren't there, so a little rumble from moving wheels and a whirr of electric motors would go well (along with the docking sound)

I know there is no sound in a vacuum, but I always pretend that the sounds the game makes are what one would hear inside the craft.

42 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

That's fine for your example, but when you start having craft with 50+ parts, many of which are tanks, then its a huge mess.

Fair nuff. 

42 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I'd want some hotkey to select/unselect all empty/full tanks of the selected resource type. It can be a real pain when trying to refuel a multi-tank craft. Its also a pain when using a multi tank craft to refuel another.

An overlay to help find the tanks that still have fuel/haven't been filled would still be useful, so +1

I hate having the "there's a mod for this" answer in these discussions, as we are talking about perfecting the stock game, but in the meantime, check out TAC fuel balancer.  It lists all your tanks by type (it even puts LFOx tanks under one tab, so you can transfer both LF and Ox in the right proportions at the same time), and allows you to move it around.  It also has indicates which tanks are separated by docking ports, so you can group select your tanker and transfer out to the rest of the craft.  Handles all resources, including life support.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/139223-ksp-v131-tac-fuel-balancer-v214/ 

On 01/03/2018 at 10:58 AM, Gargamel said:

If you mouse over the individual resource in the resource display in the top right, it displays the amount of that resource in all the modules containing that resource.  It can be a little cluttered at times, but it will do exactly as you ask.  And if you click the littel checkbox next to the resource, the windows will stay open, and you can arrange them as you wish. 

I'v got some fairly large craft that have part totals over 2000 (many of which are fuel tanks) ... not so sure your strategy would work in this case

However all is not lost ... I'm mostly finished writing a mod I am calling DCK Fuel Fill which gives you a toolbar button in the editor (SPH/VAB) which opens a menu that has 4 buttons that do the following:

1- Save Current Fuel Levels on all parts - each parts' fuel level (lf, ox and mono) are saved

2- Empty Fuel - Drains your tanks of lf, ox and mono

3- Fill to Saved Fuel Levels on all parts - sets your fuel levels to the saved values

4- Fill all parts to Max Capacity - Fills all tanks to the brim (lf, ox and mono)

Suggestions are welcome ... other resources to add perhaps?

On 01/03/2018 at 10:21 AM, swjr-swis said:

Yes please.

I've seen the other suggestions/requests before, but this particular one speaks to me.

Almost finished with DCK FF ... Let me know if you'd like to try the beta :)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.