FreeThinker

[1.8.1, 1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.25.6 Support Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

precoolers should be put near the air intake

Have tried that just now, still get "Missing precooler ratio=1" though. Also the precooler itself already has an intake included, and even when this is the only intake on the craft, I get the same line. 

Edit:

If it helps I am also running B9 aerospace, although not using engines from that pack currently. This is all in KSP 1.7.3

Edit2: Solved, it was just the way the precoolers where being attached.

Edited by A35K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having trouble with ISRU refrigeration -- want to convert from gases mined from regolith to liquid forms for fusion pellet manufacture. It seems straightforward --but the refrigerator never does anything.
testbed:
https://ibb.co/f2ZzgKC

Specifically, status is always offline whether the Activate button is pressed or not, whether the mysterious LqdDeut<->Deut numerical field is 0 or 100 or anything in between. Power is definitely available, I added a MJ capacitor at 0, and watch it fill up to 1000MJ at the launch pad very quickly.

Additionally, is matter (deuterium in this case but generally) supposed to automatically transit between parts? I have a tank with Deuterium in it, and a tank to receive the LiquidDeuterium, but nothing is moving between the three.  It doesn't improve the situation if I start the refrigerator module off with some Deuterium.

I must be doing something silly wrong here.

 

Edit: screenshot shows helium3 testbed but same results for deuterium or he3.

Edit2: For posterity and similarly confused people, I figured this out. Here is what to know:

1. conversion of Deuterium to LqdDeuterium does not occur unless 100.0 units are available -- this was what made me think the whole thing was broken, I only had smaller amounts of Deuterium (was mining a single 1500.0 of regolith, which resulted in far less than 100.0, when I massively scaled up the amount of regolith in my testbed, stuff started working)

2. the A<-->LqdA numerical value just needs to be 1, any value in [1,99] seems to work but 0 and 100 do not.

 

 

 

 

Edited by sessile
moar detail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sessile said:

I'm having trouble with ISRU refrigeration -- want to convert from gases mined from regolith to liquid forms for fusion pellet manufacture. It seems straightforward --but the refrigerator never does anything.
testbed:
https://ibb.co/f2ZzgKC

Specifically, status is always offline whether the Activate button is pressed or not, whether the mysterious LqdDeut<->Deut numerical field is 0 or 100 or anything in between. Power is definitely available, I added a MJ capacitor at 0, and watch it fill up to 1000MJ at the launch pad very quickly.

Additionally, is matter (deuterium in this case but generally) supposed to automatically transit between parts? I have a tank with Deuterium in it, and a tank to receive the LiquidDeuterium, but nothing is moving between the three.  It doesn't improve the situation if I start the refrigerator module off with some Deuterium.

I must be doing something silly wrong here.

 

Edit: screenshot shows helium3 testbed but same results for deuterium or he3.

Edit2: For posterity and similarly confused people, I figured this out. Here is what to know:

1. conversion of Deuterium to LqdDeuterium does not occur unless 100.0 units are available -- this was what made me think the whole thing was broken, I only had smaller amounts of Deuterium (was mining a single 1500.0 of regolith, which resulted in far less than 100.0, when I massively scaled up the amount of regolith in my testbed, stuff started working)

2. the A<-->LqdA numerical value just needs to be 1, any value in [1,99] seems to work but 0 and 100 do not.

 

VAT4rQD.png

What you need to do is set the LqdHe3 <=> Helium3 (on the ISRU Reefrigerator) to the left of at -100 to force all Helium3 to be converted into Liquid Helium3

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does this mod include parts suitable for a Dyson Swarm type power gathering device, meaning is it able to beam the power it collects to wherever you want it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came across a minor issue..........................  This is the RCS arcjet and it IS attached to the ship, but it's free floating away.................... while attached...... I thought it was a fluke but reproduced it nearly every time.  I put it on the ship, one on top, one on bottom, the bottom is fine, the top.......... well............
V1qfjwp.jpg

 

Log file located at https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i0nhfqfwsn8j4b/KSP.log?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random. How to SSTO with the Magnetized Targeted Fusion Reactor. An often overlooked reactor that loves the role of SSTO power plant.

 

edit: if anyone is interested in more details i can cover this reactor in more depth :)

3 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

I came across a minor issue..........................  This is the RCS arcjet and it IS attached to the ship, but it's free floating away.................... while attached...... I thought it was a fluke but reproduced it nearly every time.  I put it on the ship, one on top, one on bottom, the bottom is fine, the top.......... well............
V1qfjwp.jpg

 

Log file located at https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i0nhfqfwsn8j4b/KSP.log?dl=0

I've seen this happen on parts attached to TweakScaled parts in the past. I couldn't reproduce the effect reliably though and later patches and reinstalls cleared it up. maybe see if the part it's attached to has some funky tweakscale settings?

 

Edited by jhook777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jhook777 said:

Random. How to SSTO with the Magnetized Targeted Fusion Reactor. An often overlooked reactor that loves the role of SSTO power plant.

 

edit: if anyone is interested in more details i can cover this reactor in more depth :)

I've seen this happen on parts attached to TweakScaled parts in the past. I couldn't reproduce the effect reliably though and later patches and reinstalls cleared it up. maybe see if the part it's attached to has some funky tweakscale settings?

 

That may be the problem.  I DID use tweakscale on that particular part to enlarge it (wanted extra thrust for the rcs as this craft is heavy and hard to maneuver.  My FIRST attempt at warp drive isn't going so well lmfao.  First, it didn't have enough power, now I can't connect using the docking port sr. to the main warp "station".  Too many parts, and is lagging as is, but I'm trying to build something way beyond what I read about :P  Looking for an over the top build, and if I can get this part of things to connect, it will be 3/4 done.  Just need a lander and mining rig set up to go full interstellar and finish off some of the career :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 2:50 AM, Liontamer45 said:

does this mod include parts suitable for a Dyson Swarm type power gathering device, meaning is it able to beam the power it collects to wherever you want it?

Yes as long as you can establish a direct line of sight with the dyson sphere transmitter or retransmitters

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, maxs139 said:

FreeThinker I LOVE your mod. BUT I have one issue... When using the cargo containers and inflatable fuel/gas tanks they fill themselves up after being emptied in the editor. For example I'll empty them all, save, then reload the craft and they will be full again. The same happens if the flight is reverted to the SPH/VAB they go from empty to full. Is there anyway to fix this? Thank you!

Edit: should have been more specific. It occurs with the IFS inflatable storage tank for both liquids and gasses, the IFS cargo containers, as well as the IFS radioactive fuel container. I do hate to complain as I deeply admire the hard work you've put into this mod, which is time consuming and difficult, I've done a small amount of modding myself. But it's just a wee bit annoying to constantly have to empty about 2 dozen containers/tanks when editing my mobile miner/refinery. If it's a limitation you can't fix. No worries, I'll still love you. I'm not sure I could play KSP without KSPIE. You make the game worth playing!! Thank you for your hard work!!

Problem is now fixed in IFS 3.13

 

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreeThinker I believe I have found a problem with the IXS cockpit (not just the lights issue) - I launched a ship using this cockpit.. didn't play KSP for a few days, came back... loaded up the ship from tracking station... it goes to the IVA view.  It won't let me OUT of the IVA view by any of the normal means of doing so.  Other ships do not have this problem, only the one with the IXS cockpit.  I'm going to try to save my crew out of it with another ship, but.. unfortunately this craft, perhaps anything using the cockpit, is functionally useless if you want it to persist between sessions; it didn't have this problem in the session in which it was launched.

 

UPDATE: forget this entire thing.  it's something else, the other craft I checked didn't HAVE IVA at all so.. they defaulted to doing the right thing.  some other mod is causing me to get locked into IVA whenever IVA exists, but I don't think it's this mod.

Edited by ss8913

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pebble Bed Question: When I use the Pebble Bed reactor in an SSTO, it starts at full power, and then loses power as I fly until it is at less than 50% of the original power. I have enough radiators according to the thermal manager. Career mode. What am I doing wrong?

Images of the thermal manager and the SSTOhttps://imgur.com/a/nf1u6Dp

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, herman said:

Pebble Bed Question: When I use the Pebble Bed reactor in an SSTO, it starts at full power, and then loses power as I fly until it is at less than 50% of the original power. I have enough radiators according to the thermal manager. Career mode. What am I doing wrong?

Images of the thermal manager and the SSTOhttps://imgur.com/a/nf1u6Dp

 

 

Two questions I have for you.

- If you just stay in atmosphere, at/around 10km, do you still lose output?

- If you cheat into orbit and then do a long burn, do you still lose output?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wkwied said:

Two questions I have for you.

- If you just stay in atmosphere, at/around 10km, do you still lose output?

- If you cheat into orbit and then do a long burn, do you still lose output?

Thanks for the reply! 

 

1. If i stay in the atmosphere around that altitude, I still lose output steadily 

2. I can't test the Turboject in orbit because right now my only available propellant is atmosphere. But the reactor power continues to drop the longer I sit in orbit. (measured by the reactor control window).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, herman said:

Thanks for the reply! 

 

1. If i stay in the atmosphere around that altitude, I still lose output steadily 

2. I can't test the Turboject in orbit because right now my only available propellant is atmosphere. But the reactor power continues to drop the longer I sit in orbit. (measured by the reactor control window).

Hi! If you upload your craft file to kerlbalX I can take a look at it and see what it needs. I've a couple SSTO pebble bed spaceplanes you can take a look at for ideas as well. 

Try this one: https://kerbalx.com/jhook777/Fizella

It's got it's own video to show how to fly it. It's bare bones simple so you can scale it up to suit your needs but take inspiration from the basic design. As for reactor output decreasing, that will happen as the reactor and the air heat up. Also a lot of radiators might cause extra heat build up from drag. Experiment with different air intakes, precoolers, placement of parts (inline vs radial) as well as fewer but well placed radiators. Also, see if your plane loses power at all altitudes or only high altitudes or at sea level, etc. to determine it's preferred flight profile. Good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, beam core with magnetic nozzle. I actually follow the build on this one instead of demonstrating an already finished craft. Sorry for all the meowing in the background, it had been a whole 4 hours since my cat last ate and the poor thing was on the very brink of starvation.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jhook777 said:

Also, beam core with magnetic nozzle. I actually follow the build on this one instead of demonstrating an already finished craft. Sorry for all the meowing in the background, it had been a whole 4 hours since my cat last ate and the poor thing was on the very brink of starvation.  

 

Although I understand people like to pancake radiators, from a realism point of view this wouldn't realy work due to the self radiating (where radiators would absorb heat from nearby radiator)

To prevent self radiation, a much more realistic solution for getting rid of Wasteheat, would be to radiate it outward , like on this interstellar antimatter beam core ship

x4YjAyQ.png

Notice that in this configuration, the static thrust radiator serve a double purpose, as a wipple shield against micro meteriods ,( protecting the antiproton getting hit by a micro metroid  causing the shup to blow up) and to get rid of Wasteheat with minimal mass cost (they scale linear with surface area) and minim interstellar drag.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all.

I'm getting fairly high-tech now.  But I'm still looking for an expendable high-tech & low cost way to launch heavy payloads to Kerbin sub-orbit.

I'll rather not use some very expensive nuclear engine or an anti-gravity warp-engine worth much more than the payload.

I always end up using huge/dumb solid booster engines.   The closest thing I can find is the Deliverance.

Any ideas?    Thanks!

Edited by enewmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, enewmen said:

Hi all.

I'm getting fairly high-tech now.  But I'm still looking for an expendable high-tech & low cost way to launch heavy payloads to Kerbin sub-orbit.

I'll rather not use some very expensive nuclear engine or an anti-gravity warp-engine worth much more than the payload.

I always end up using huge/dumb solid booster engines.   The closest thing I can find is the Deliverance.

Any ideas?    Thanks!

You can always make a reusable launch vehicle with a warp drive (assuming that you have it).

 

It is really simplistic to make a SSTO with a warp drive and let it be reusable. Can put even a tiny payload into orbit virtually anywhere for almost no dV costs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so bad at making realistic craft :D I totally see what you are saying about pancaking the radiators. You should sneak some code in that looks for that and punishes the player :P

My (poor) attempt at running through beam power conversion. If one looks at this as the wrong way to do things one might figure out how to do it right :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wkwied said:

You can always make a reusable launch vehicle with a warp drive (assuming that you have it).

 

It is really simplistic to make a SSTO with a warp drive and let it be reusable. Can put even a tiny payload into orbit virtually anywhere for almost no dV costs

Yes, the warp drive makes a great SSTO.  But the problem is how to get it back to the Kerbal Space Center - THEN attach another bulky/awkward payload to the same SSTO warp vehicle.   Reusing a SSTO is difficult, that's why I'm looking for a cheap/disposable rocket as well.

I guess the only way to make the SSTO re-usable is to have the SSTO (after it came back to the KSC) attach with the payload using clamps and wheels.  

If I can make the SSTO nicely reusable, then I can also make low-tech SSTO planes usable as well.  It sees like a correct/re-usable SSTO is a lot of work to be useful.

Any ideas?

Edited by enewmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jhook777 said:

I'm so bad at making realistic craft :D I totally see what you are saying about pancaking the radiators. You should sneak some code in that looks for that and punishes the player :P

My (poor) attempt at running through beam power conversion. If one looks at this as the wrong way to do things one might figure out how to do it right :D

 

 

Here are my example that can land on the Mun, Duna, and EVE - all the same ship.  And of course takes off like an airplane to Kerbin orbit and lands.  No cheats, just using USI life-support, Near Future, and of course KSPI.  It has supplies and life-support for 100 days. Also stuffed a mobile science lab to reset experiments.  I can also do the Breaking Ground surface missions.  The main engines are folding Warp, nuclear turbo-jet, and the Vista Fusion (scaled down to 2.5m and weight centered on the bottom belly). Radiators are not stacked, they just fold out when high-above a planet.

I upgraded the fans to nuclear turbo-jet because it worked better on Duna. The clamp on top us used mainly for controlling on the top-centered surface for non-atmosphere takeoff & landings. I also upgraded with power-receivers later so all power needed can come from beam-power while not in an atmosphere. I also tried to use OPT space-planes, but the stock planes seemed to look & work a little better.

When in an atmosphere, it flies like an airplane. In no atmosphere, it lands like a lunar lander.

My humble 2-cent example.

moon.png

duna.png

eve.png

Edited by enewmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, enewmen said:

Yes, the warp drive makes a great SSTO.  But the problem is how to get it back to the Kerbal Space Center - THEN attach another bulky/awkward payload to the same SSTO warp vehicle.   Reusing a SSTO is difficult, that's why I'm looking for a cheap/disposable rocket as well.

I guess the only way to make the SSTO re-usable is to have the SSTO (after it came back to the KSC) attach with the payload using clamps and wheels.  

If I can make the SSTO nicely reusable, then I can also make low-tech SSTO planes usable as well.  It sees like a correct/re-usable SSTO is a lot of work to be useful.

Any ideas?

Unless you chose to limit yourself to never reclaiming vehicles, then there is no good way to go about that. Land your warp rocket at KSP and reclaim it. You still recover it, and if you are playing career, if you land right at the space center you recoup most of your costs..

Realistically, you can't make a multi use rocket (SSTO or not) without reclaiming it and doing maintenance on it. Even the space shuttle has to be brought back into the hanger to be refurbished and have the payload reloaded...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wkwied said:

Unless you chose to limit yourself to never reclaiming vehicles, then there is no good way to go about that. Land your warp rocket at KSP and reclaim it. You still recover it, and if you are playing career, if you land right at the space center you recoup most of your costs..

Realistically, you can't make a multi use rocket (SSTO or not) without reclaiming it and doing maintenance on it. Even the space shuttle has to be brought back into the hanger to be refurbished and have the payload reloaded...

Ha Ha.  I was so worried about never reclaiming vehicles and re-using precious liquid fuel for the next mission.  I harvested anti-hydrogen and after 1 year (Kerbin time) made a comfortable 1.8 Billion.   I think I can afford to reclaim some vehicles now.  Previously I made a nice 90 Million recovering anti-matter.

anti.png

Edited by enewmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 2:15 AM, enewmen said:

Here are my example that can land on the Mun, Duna, and EVE - all the same ship.  And of course takes off like an airplane to Kerbin orbit and lands.  No cheats, just using USI life-support, Near Future, and of course KSPI.  It has supplies and life-support for 100 days. Also stuffed a mobile science lab to reset experiments.  I can also do the Breaking Ground surface missions.  The main engines are folding Warp, nuclear turbo-jet, and the Vista Fusion (scaled down to 2.5m and weight centered on the bottom belly). Radiators are not stacked, they just fold out when high-above a planet.

I upgraded the fans to nuclear turbo-jet because it worked better on Duna. The clamp on top us used mainly for controlling on the top-centered surface for non-atmosphere takeoff & landings. I also upgraded with power-receivers later so all power needed can come from beam-power while not in an atmosphere. I also tried to use OPT space-planes, but the stock planes seemed to look & work a little better.

When in an atmosphere, it flies like an airplane. In no atmosphere, it lands like a lunar lander.

My humble 2-cent example.

moon.png

duna.png

eve.png

Now that is a nice looking space plane. Does the airforce know you took their design? lol. very cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.