The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

3 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Got my new computer yesterday.  The updating has started.  "Soon" my Jool-5 run will be back on track.

@JacobJHC I am to understand I should post all of my videos/link to them at once?  Or may I submit the 1st two videos I have finished?

Congrats on the new computer. You should submit the videos all at once when they are all done.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:43 PM, JacobJHC said:

Are they on YouTube?

Er... not yet?  Not sure, it's been more than a month since I've played KSP.  School and gigs really cut into playing time...

EDIT:

The first episode is, but I want to move it to a different channel... if that's even possible... youtube uploading is so new to me

Edited by smotheredrun

Just now, smotheredrun said:

Er... not yet?  Not sure, it's been more than a month since I've played KSP.  School and gigs really cut into playing time...

Completely understand, the same thing happened to me.

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2018 at 2:10 AM, sturmhauke said:

I'm working on a level 3 entry, with a Laythe spaceplane and 4 landers for the other moons, all shipped inside a mothership. Here's a preview:

ft20cnl.png

Looks very neat, are you planning on a single launch for the mother ship or many launches?

3 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Looks very neat, are you planning on a single launch for the mother ship or many launches?

I'm doing a single launch, or at least hoping to. Here's another screenshot in progress. The mothership is mostly done, and I'm working on the SSTO spaceplane lifter. It's ripped off from inspired by McBalsam's entry from the last thread. Mine is heavier though.

Is that crew module ok? It's slightly clipped into that big Mk 3 LF tank. I like the way it looks, but I can redesign if you want.

YpS52r8.png

This is going to be the largest SSTO I've ever built, but I'm gonna have to slim down. The mothership is around 400 tons, most of which is LF for the Nervs to get 8000 dV. I can make do with less, if I get creative with Jool gravity assists. I can probably make some of the landers smaller and save a bit of mass and cargo space there. I can also increase the proportion of LF that's stored in drop tanks, although that risks pushing the part count higher. I'm already near the limit on what my computer can handle.

With the launch vehicle (the SSTO part), the current mass overall is 750 tons. I didn't quite get to orbit on my test flight last night. The current arrangement uses Whiplashes and Vectors - I thought the Whiplashes would give better thrust at launch than Rapiers, which they do, but I need to reach higher speeds before switching to rockets. Between shrinking the mothership and switching all the engines to Rapiers I'll probably get there.

7 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

With the launch vehicle (the SSTO part), the current mass overall is 750 tons. I didn't quite get to orbit on my test flight last night. The current arrangement uses Whiplashes and Vectors - I thought the Whiplashes would give better thrust at launch than Rapiers, which they do, but I need to reach higher speeds before switching to rockets. Between shrinking the mothership and switching all the engines to Rapiers I'll probably get there.

If your NERVs are available, you can fire them once you're above 10-15k or so and that will help a great deal.

7 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

The mothership is around 400 tons, most of which is LF for the Nervs to get 8000 dV.

What's your t/w ratio at Kerbin departure?

Edited by DerekL1963

35 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

If your NERVs are available, you can fire them once you're above 10-15k or so and that will help a great deal.

I can, but there's only 4 of them on the current build.

What's your t/w ratio at Kerbin departure?

After separating the mothership, it's 0.10. That's another thing I might want to improve.

On 8/16/2018 at 6:05 AM, sturmhauke said:

I'm doing a single launch, or at least hoping to. Here's another screenshot in progress. The mothership is mostly done, and I'm working on the SSTO spaceplane lifter. It's ripped off from inspired by McBalsam's entry from the last thread. Mine is heavier though.

Is that crew module ok? It's slightly clipped into that big Mk 3 LF tank. I like the way it looks, but I can redesign if you want.

YpS52r8.png

If I may, I think you'll get a sleeker design by putting intakes on pointy nose cones (radial attached) instead of using Mk2 bicoupler, they are somewhat draggy (and heavy). Also a sharp fairing in front of your engines pod might give better performance than structural 1.25 > 2.5m adapter.

This is the adapter I'm using - TVR-200L Stack Bi-Adapter, not the Mk 2 or the conical structural part. I take your point though, and I might try that cone thing on the intakes instead. I've used it before, but thought it looked a little funny.

I redesigned the Bop and Pol landers to use ions instead of chemical engines, and shrank them down a lot. Not sure if switching the Vall lander to ions will make it any smaller, and Tylo is out of the question. Anyway, I should be able to shorten the cargo bay, I just need to restack everything.

2 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

This is the adapter I'm using - TVR-200L Stack Bi-Adapter, not the Mk 2 or the conical structural part. I take your point though, and I might try that cone thing on the intakes instead. I've used it before, but thought it looked a little funny.

Oh yeah didn't see it was the structural part, don't know if it's sharper than the mk2 bicoupler .. the radial cone is actually of great use, yoou can place them in line or anywhere where they look good enough :p

And as I said, I made some SSTOs with very pointy fairings (nose cone or engine pods) and it made a big difference on l/d ratio, especially in regard of top speed achieved.

19 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

After separating the mothership, it's 0.10. That's another thing I might want to improve.

You don't really need to...  The trick to departing Kerbin with a low t/w ratio is to start at an orbital altitude where your burn time < 1/8 your orbital period.  At Jool...  well, much depends on your mission architecture.

SHIP, sorry but i need better version, i finished all other planets so this wont be a trouble, i dont like rendezvous because it took time, i'll consider it as one ship carrying more than 1 lander each capable of returning to kerbin or one Mammothic Lander (i mean big, not using Mammoth) capable of landing on all moons and return with its power alone

On 8/16/2018 at 12:05 AM, sturmhauke said:

That's fine. Also that SSTO looks insanely awesome.

Edited by JacobJHC

2 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

That's fine. Also that SSTO looks insanely awesome.

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Yes, it does!

:D Aww, thanks! I'm still adding some doodads, tweaking the wings, that sort of thing. My second test flight went better - I actually scraped into orbit this time!

Just about ready now. Here's a look at the lander and cargo bay redesign. Starting from the left we have the Vall lander, Laythe SSTO, Bop and Pol landers, then the Tylo lander. The Bop and Pol landers are now ion based, and the other craft are unchanged. With the lander redesign, I was also able to shorten the cargo bay by 20%.

Spoiler

k2rUzhk.png

Here is the complete mothership + SSTO launch vehicle. I shortened the mothership a bit overall and added more LF drop tanks. This saved some weight and was enough to allow the launch vehicle to make orbit.

Spoiler

qPZy0vb.png

On my latest test flight I tested separating and redocking the two craft. This view is from the underside. 

Spoiler

46HgVfu.png

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Just about ready now. Here's a look at the lander and cargo bay redesign. Starting from the left we have the Vall lander, Laythe SSTO, Bop and Pol landers, then the Tylo lander. The Bop and Pol landers are now ion based, and the other craft are unchanged. With the lander redesign, I was also able to shorten the cargo bay by 20%.

Hide contents

k2rUzhk.png

Here is the complete mothership + SSTO launch vehicle. I shortened the mothership a bit overall and added more LF drop tanks. This saved some weight and was enough to allow the launch vehicle to make orbit.

Hide contents

qPZy0vb.png

On my latest test flight I tested separating and redocking the two craft. This view is from the underside. 

Hide contents

46HgVfu.png

Wow. just... Wow.

3 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Hide contents

46HgVfu.png

Great idea !! Never tried something like that :D

There's some tiny ways to lower the weight of your payload, if you want me to elaborate  :)