Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot Continued)

1 hour ago, Kebab Kerman said:

I present to you:

A DC-4!

Yes I know it has 6 more mods than are allowed but still I think it could work which is why I submitted it.

Nah, so many mods over I have to enforce the rules. Nice work building it, but it's disqualified.

4 hours ago, RedPandaz said:

The Giganto 4 is underway. Unfortionaly, like the Giganto III, the Giganto 4 is  Kraken-Bait

This is why I cannot beat @neistridlar at aeroplane size, the craft get too big and unmanagable. I probably could actually, but I'd need to keep part count so low I would need to do it just like his, and I'd basically have to copy his design.

I have though managed to create quite manageable super-jumbos.

3 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

This is why I cannot beat @neistridlar at aeroplane size, the craft get too big and unmanagable. I probably could actually, but I'd need to keep part count so low I would need to do it just like his, and I'd basically have to copy his design.

I have though managed to create quite manageable super-jumbos.

The Giganto 4 uses TweakScale and therefor doesn't lag at it's impressive 11kt

Does this qualify?

https://kerbalx.com/KebabKerman/GAT-825

I don't know if TweakableEverything is something that disqualifies it, but I sure hope not...

*NOTICE* It is very large and has 411 parts, so maintainence is probably high. It can carry 4,976 passengers, though. I personally have not been able to land it, mostly because I can't really land anything.

I don't know the stats, but it has the SXT wings, so IDK if it will be allowed. I only use those wings because I can't make good custom ones and the stock airliner wings just dont have very good snapping on the outer angled edge.

8 minutes ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Does this qualify?

https://kerbalx.com/KebabKerman/GAT-825

I don't know if TweakableEverything is something that disqualifies it, but I sure hope not...

*NOTICE* It is very large and has 411 parts, so maintainence is probably high. It can carry 4,976 passengers, though. I personally have not been able to land it, mostly because I can't really land anything.

I don't know the stats, but it has the SXT wings, so IDK if it will be allowed. I only use those wings because I can't make good custom ones and the stock airliner wings just dont have very good snapping on the outer angled edge.

Uhm, according to the rules the size 2 cabins count for 24 passengers, so it actually counts as 7464 passengers for this challenge. Tweak scale is allowed. STX is not though.

6 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

Uhm, according to the rules the size 2 cabins count for 24 passengers, so it actually counts as 7464 passengers for this challenge. Tweak scale is allowed. SXT is not though.

Ooooh.

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

That many passengers!?

Anyway, I'll make a version without SXT so I can submit it. Who knows what the review will say? Like I said, I haven't been able to land it. Mostly because my game goes so slow I just want to die. Maybe one of you will have better luck!

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Test Pilot Review: @Cantdesignrockets's – Luxo 744ER

5Ax3u0l.png

• Price:  407,716,000
  • Fuel:  9,860 Kallons
  • Cruising Speed: 155m/s
  • Cruising Altitude: 3,600m
  • Fuel Burn Rate: 1.06 Kallons/sec
  • Range: 1,550km

Review:

Luxo 744ER. With a name like that it is no surprise to see that this is a luxury jumbo. And with the spacious cabins and underwing engines it really does deliver good comfort. Now, this aircraft was delivered with just a sliver of fuel on board, which gave it a very short range. We did send a telegram to the manufacturer asking about how they recommended to fuel the aircraft, however we received no response. Lacking proper instructions, we simply filled all the tanks to the brim. It turned out to not be a very good Idea. The aircraft became very nose heavy, and would not take off before reaching 100m/s, taking the better part of the runway at KSC to reach that speed. Keeping the plane in the air required the pitch controls to be pinned full up at all times, reaching only 129m/s and an altitude of 2770m, which is below the recommended cruising altitude. Draining the fuel from the nose tanks gave much better results. Now taking of at only 58m/s and quite a reasonable distance for such a big plane. Now getting up to the recommended cruising parameters was no problem, though it still required a lot of up elevator. Somehow our test pilots reported a longer range with this fuel configuration. Well, it may be longer, but it very much is not long, coming in at 1,550km it is less than half of our requirements. At 155m/s It’s also one of the slowest jumbo submissions to date.

Landing the aircraft probed to be quite a challenge. Since most of the elevator travel is already used up just to keep the aircraft in the air, very little is left to arrest the sink rate, and it turns out when you throttle down the engines the problem only becomes worse. Combine that with very low mounted engines and flexible wings, the only way to land this aircraft is by coming in very shallow and fast, and even then, it is quite the challenge to not damage the aircraft on touchdown. Our test pilots found 110 to be the minimum landing speed. The aircraft does come equipped with slats and flaps, which one would think would help lower the landing speed, however our test pilots reported that it was simply impossible to keep the nose up at slower speeds than ~145m/s with those deployed. Despite the high landing speeds, the aircraft is capable of stopping in a somewhat reasonable distance due to the thrust reversers.

Then there is the economy. This is where this aircraft completely falls apart. It is one of the most expensive planes per seat in the class, one of the worst fuel economies in class and a high part count of 212. Now we are willing to pay extra for such a luxurious aircraft as this one, however considering how prone the aircraft is to damage during routine landings, and how slow it is compared to the competition, we just don’t see a market for this plane.

The verdict:
A very luxurious, but very slow and expensive, jumbo. With the stiff competition in today’s market, we simply don’t see a market for this aircraft, and thus we will not be buying any.

I finally have a plane I can submit, and it doesn't even use tweakscale!  Which is surprising, because almost all of my craft use tweakscale...

Anyway, it has two of those high-bypass turbofans and about 1,200 units of fuel. The takeoff speed we measured was around 99 m/s, but that was because of a boost in the air thanks to a tail wing from a wreck I somehow forgot to get rid of. I'll submit it when I get home.

In six hours. SIX. HOURS.

Oh, and it also has a small frontal cargo bay. It's cute! I'll submit it as a small regional jet, because it can only carry 48 passengers. I was tempted to make one that had upscaled Mk.1 cabins and use the excuse "Bad news: It only seats 8. Good news: They're all window seats!" but that would probably not pass.

Phase Aviation, the aircraft division of the Phase Space Administration, would like to introduce it's newest Medium Regional Jet, the Phase Aviation P-4-120.

iBOH3gu.jpg

rESs8qU.jpg

36PNp0X.jpg

Link to the aircraft (KerbalX): https://kerbalx.com/PhaseSpaceAdministration/Phase-Aviation-P-4-120

Price: :funds: 202.1 Million

Optimal Cruising Speed/Altitude: 245 m/s @ 8000m

Fuel capacity 2,560... Kallons

Fuel consumption at cruising altitude & speed: Appx. 0.29 - 0.31 Kallons per second.

Have you been searching for a long distance aircraft that's safe, comfortable, and reasonably fast? Look no further. Phase Aviation presents to you the P-4-120, nicknamed the Skyliner.

With 120 seats, a cruising altitude of 8 kilometers, cruising speed of 245 meters per second, and a range of 2000 kilometers, this aircraft is capable of taking to the skies, and staying there with relative ease.

The Skyliner's wings have a unique two-stage fuel tank system that is capable of self-sealing in cases of emergencies, and each engine can be separately jettisoned in case of a drastic failure. Phase Aviation in conjunction with C7 Aerospace Division is responsible for preventing failures from happening, and as such include a 20 year full warranty covering the purchasing airline from any damages incurred during flight. Also included in the cost of the aircraft is a maintenance team of ten workers, who personally make sure that the plane is perfectly fit for flying. In the rare instance that the aircraft's crew is incapacitated, all of the maintenance crew are capable of flying the aircraft. 

Although some may consider the cabin to be a bit small, others find that it's just right. Automatic stability assistance systems may have trouble with keeping the aircraft under full control at all times, as the aircraft pitches up naturally. To counteract this, adjust the trim during flight by pressing alt and then WASDQE keys. Normally at slow speeds, you may need to have negative trim, but as you get higher and faster, you will have to start changing to positive trim.

Phase Aviation cares about its customers. If you have any questions concerning the Skyliner, feel free to contact the CEO himself on the KSP forums, KerbalX, or discord.

KSP forums: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/164644-kingstevenrules/

KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/PhaseSpaceAdministration

Discord: https://discord.gg/HupAcfB OR @Steven#7307

Thank you for your time. PA hopes that you consider our aircraft for your airline.

Edited by kingstevenrules
Forgot to add fuel capacity and consumption.

*sits in a chair in the waiting room, picks a copy of Kerbin Aerospace Engineering and flips through it*

So... can I review a plane? I'd need to learn your guidelines for reviewing, but I'm sure it'll be pretty much the same.

1 hour ago, kingstevenrules said:

*sits in a chair in the waiting room, picks a copy of Kerbin Aerospace Engineering and flips through it*

So... can I review a plane? I'd need to learn your guidelines for reviewing, but I'm sure it'll be pretty much the same.

I think it might be faster to just do a practice one, we'll just tell you if some bit is unusual. Some things are a bit subjective, so things vary there. Anyway, here's the first ones I posted, all have been reviewed, but I think they are good practice ones, being reasonably normal. (Quality does vary between them, ranges from almost perfect to quite bad; most are sort of middling.)

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/165372-kerbal-express-airlines-regional-jet-challenge-reboot/&do=findComment&comment=3199416

Standards for what is considered good vary from class to class, and over time of course. (Passengers in Jumbo jets, 200 used to be large! Then I stepped up large to 384, 864, somebody made a 1152 and I beat them much later with 1488, then a few months later @neistridlar comes along with a 2592 (I think, it's about that)) Best I can recommend is to just read a few reviews.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.