How many [SPOILERS] per body?

I'm doing a career over again with making history, and to reduce the science grind I'm looking for

Spoiler

the "green meanie" monoliths that grant tech when found

on Mun. I've found one, but I forget if it was 1 or two per body (or if it was random?).

In my particular game, Minmus has been moved out to be roughly coorbital with Dres, and Mun took Minmus' old position (and got higher science multipliers, between old minmus and Ike's science multipliers). So I'm trying to max out the tech tree with just Mun, and I waited to find the first one until the only techs left were worth 550 or 1000 science.

These things don't spawn on Kerbin right? just the fixed "old" ones, right?

From the wiki:

Spoiler

Green Monolith, or Green Meanie Monolith, is a special type of Monolith added in 1.2. Unlike standard Monoliths, these do not have a fixed position, and will spawn randomly each game. To find them, you will need a KerbNet access. They will be marked as a "?", like any other Anomaly.

The Green Monolith also, contradictory to normal Monoliths, serves a purpose in Career and Science mode. When you discover one (getting a certain distance to it either with a vessel or an EVA Kerbal), you will recieve a message in the "Worlds First Milestones" tab. The message says: "We have discovered a VERY strange monolith on (Body name). It is beaming data to the space center" and under it, there will be a purple line of text, saying the research node you have just unlocked by finding it (e.g. Experimental Motors). As you can see, it is kind of pointless to do with a full Tech tree, but it is fun nevertheless.

I actually haven't heard of these, I'll have to start using Kerbnet more.....

But from that article, it seems they are random, which implies to me they may not spawn on every body.......

Edited by Gargamel

I know the locations are random, but from what I remember, I always found one on mun and one on Minmus.

I seem to recall that maybe I found 2 though....

Maybe I'll cheat and set the detection capability to 100% on the probe cores, and then see for sure if there is a 2nd one on Mun

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I've found one, but I forget if it was 1 or two per body (or if it was random?).

Spoiler

So far I've only ever found one of the green ones per body... and they never appear in the same place from game to game. The older, black monoliths are all still where they should be. 

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

These things don't spawn on Kerbin right? just the fixed "old" ones, right?

Spoiler

Yes, they do. I've already found a green one on Kerbin. I fact, I've found them on most every planet and moon, except Jool of course.

34 minutes ago, Just Jim said:
  Hide contents

Yes, they do. I've already found a green one on Kerbin. I fact, I've found them on most every planet and moon, except Jool of course.

Ah, great, in that case I need to take a look at kerbin, that could save 1000 science for use in KR&D which I plan to install after finishing the tech unlocks.

I suspect that they'll be a bit hard to locate on Kerbin because of all the other anomolies. I think even KSC shows up as one? I'd guess the Woomera site shows up as one, then there are, what... 6 tracking stations, I know those show up. Looks like I'll be building a high speed jet to go looking.

Just now, KerikBalm said:

Ah, great, in that case I need to take a look at kerbin, that could save 1000 science for use in KR&D which I plan to install after finishing the tech unlocks.

I suspect that they'll be a bit hard to locate on Kerbin because of all the other anomolies. I think even KSC shows up as one? I'd guess the Woomera site shows up as one, then there are, what... 6 tracking stations, I know those show up. Looks like I'll be building a high speed jet to go looking.

KSC and the Island Airfield both have [REDACTED] stuff around their environs that count as "anomalies." Heck, since Squad bumped up the size, you can even eyeball one of the classic anomalies from the KSC screen. :wink: 

Add in the tracking stations and at least three others I've personally visited in 1.4.x, and finding one of these randoms on Kerbin will be challenging.

18 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Yes... it took a while before I tracked down which anomaly on Kerbin wasn't where they belong, and showing up somewhere totally unexpected. But that was also half the fun. :)

Edited by Just Jim

Spoiler

There is one Green-Meanie Monolith per (non-gaseous) body - so one on Kerbin, one on the Mun, one on Duna, one on Bop, etc.  These are the ones that unlock science nodes and are randomly placed per game.

There are other anomalies, particularly on Kerbin (e.g. the radar stations) and the Mun.

If you want a better way to find them than using KerbNet, you can use ScanSat which makes searching for them pretty automatic.

I’m also interested in using these in my career. I do know that they change positions on every SOI change. I’ve heard that there are about 2 per body. 

That is contradictory to the person above however, so maybe once they change positions, you can hunt them down again. Who knows, crazy how mysterious these things are for how old they are.

Edited by Not Sure

3 minutes ago, Not Sure said:

I’m also interested in using these in my career. I do know that they change positions on every SOI change. I’ve heard that there are about 2 per body. 

That is contradictory to the person above however, so maybe once they change positions, you can hunt them down again. Who knows, crazy how mysterious these things are for how old they are.

I'm not so sure about that. I planted a flag at one on Minmus. It hasn't moved since I found it.

Just now, LameLefty said:

I'm not so sure about that. I planted a flag at one on Minmus. It hasn't moved since I found it.

Huh, I got that information from a Scott Manley video, so it’s only stuff I’ve heard. Will work on finding one later today.

Well, I found one on Kerbin... and it gave me... nanolathing.... um, yay....

From the wiki:

There are two additional placeholder nodes in the stock game which are included in the table below, but have no parts currently assigned to them. The nodes appear towards the end of the Tech Tree, and are only displayed in-game when a mod (or mods) are installed which use them. These nodes are: Nanolathing, costing 550 Science, and Experimental Motors, costing 1000 science. While these cannot be unlocked via research, it is technically possible to unlock them via green monoliths.

looks like I'll need another 550 to 1000 science by the old methods then....

So I’ve done some more reading and it turns out that anomaly detection refreshes every day. If your probe has a 30% chance of detecting anomalies then it will have a 30% each day. I wonder if it COMPLETLEY refreshes in that on one day you detected an anomaly but the next day the “?” is gone. 

3 hours ago, Not Sure said:

So I’ve done some more reading and it turns out that anomaly detection refreshes every day. If your probe has a 30% chance of detecting anomalies then it will have a 30% each day. I wonder if it COMPLETLEY refreshes in that on one day you detected an anomaly but the next day the “?” is gone. 

I've spent a couple days circling planets/moons before (timewarp is great for this). You can detect the same anomaly twice, even if (as in my case) you've sent a mission and planted a flag there in between. 

I actually discovered one completely by accident not long ago, just by naked eyeball.  :)  First time I ever saw one in the game (I generally never bother with KerbNet, and had only vaguely heard of this feature and had managed to forget its existence).

Spoiler

Was flying over Gilly, having visited all its biomes, and was preparing to depart for Eve when I just happened to notice "hey, what's that little dark dot over there?" as I glided along preparing to do my ejection burn.

Went over to investigate, and bam, that was nice.  Perfectly timed in my career, too-- right in a spot where I was unlocking the 550-science nodes and was seriously hungry for science points.  Unlocked a 550-point node I'd had my eye on.  Very nice little bonus.  :)

7 hours ago, LameLefty said:

No, what I meant by they move is if you started another game, and went to this exact same spot, you won't find a green monolith... it will spawn somewhere else completely. This way each game is a little different, and no-one can really give away their location, even if they wanted to.

But I've never seen one move inside the same game, so to speak, although that would be really cool if they did every few years or something like that.

Edited by Just Jim

Alrighty Im home and went exploring a bit and have come up with a hasty list of the things I found

Spoiler

2 black monoliths (one with an amazing view of kerbin and the sky)
3 mun arches
1 green meanie
1 UFO
1 Heroes memorial
6n6zm7i.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.