Guess That Mission

Mark Kerbin

Alright. Main idea here is someone posts a picture of a spacecraft + whatever else they think would be interesting and or useful.

Then other kerbals/people attempt to figure out what the point of that mission was. We shall see how this goes.

This is my mystery mission;

b928e03f62ee5580a7fe58fda2c2f998.png

Seeing as it's been about a day...

Best Comment Award Goes To......

@MaverickSawyer!!! Or was It @SpacedCowboy!??

You both went in the same direction soo +1 Like for each of you! 

Award For Actually Managing To Figure It Out....

@Teilnehmer!!!

16 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

I think, you are grabbing a relay sat form orbit and are going to land it on Kerbin.

The most cryptic thing is the parachutes on the propulsion stage which apparently should be decoupled before the reentry.

You get a like and bragging rights =P

I was attempting to replace my old satellite relays. As for the engine stage, it theoretically was going to re enter and parachute after being decoupled upon completing the reentry burn. However StageRecovery decided it burned up... =( Well the satellite made it down, so no big loss. =P

Yep, testing out probe and drogue. Never was able to transfer usable amounts of fuel, but I had proved the concept, and was happy at that.

And yes, that drew heavily on Airplanes Plus, Tweakscale, Kerbal Attachment System, and Atmospheric Autopilot.

Nope

Here's a picture from a little later:

FG1b2jW.png

Obviously, that craft with the mk3 parts is not designed to do a soft landing on Kerbin (it has no chutes... although maybe... just maybe it could pull off a powered landing)

Edited by KerikBalm

On 4/17/2018 at 8:11 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

Alright. Main idea here is someone posts a picture of a spacecraft + whatever else they think would be interesting and or useful.

Then other kerbals/people attempt to figure out what the point of that mission was. We shall see how this goes.

This is my mystery mission;

b928e03f62ee5580a7fe58fda2c2f998.png

You're de-orbiting a piece of space junk.  The reason you are using a heat shield and parachutes for apparent full recovery is the fact that just burning up a satellite like that with so many RTGs would pose a radiation hazard to Kerbin.  It's a role-playing thing.  And/or maybe you just want the funds back for all the stuff...

39 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Deployment of a mobile base to the Munar surface.

Correct, the ISRU was already place on the surface, and that's loading the science lab and habitat in Munar orbit. The 2 piece rover and an additional hab + life support module are still docked to the orbital tug

On 4/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

(The engine) theoretically was going to re enter and parachute after being decoupled upon completing the reentry burn. However StageRecovery decided it burned up... =( Well the satellite made it down, so no big loss. =P

Funny you should say that, because I had sort of the opposite happen recently.  I was on my way back from the Mun with a rocket that was supposed to be recoverable but I wasn't sure I could safely slow down in only one orbit.  But the mission had already gone long and my kerbals just wanted to land so--since I had heat shields and an emergency decoupler--I decided to come screaming in at 30km periapsis and see what happened.  I did okay for a while but then the rocket started flipping.  The engine quickly overheated and then several explosions later I was down to the crew/science section, which landed beautifully.  But I had a surprise waiting for me in the tracking station...

The engine made it back to orbit.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.