Outer Planets Extension- I wish I could do anything with this :(

IDEA! An addon for OPM that adds these things:

Mimas analogue - Mummus - looks like a giant eyeball with a LAVA-FILLED pupil

Iapetus analogue - Ridga - has a very tall ridge and a tiny submoon

Hyperion analogue - Hypo - a square and the kerbals' inspiration for the sponge

Planet 9 analogue - Kohd - is a blue gas giant. moons: Who knows?

planet 10 analogue - Tyke - has Very Large Rings and some asteroids

Eris analogue - Ica - made of ice and has a very red moon

Sedna analogue - Pledna - inspired by @The White Guardian's pledna mod that has been abandoned

Haumea analogue - Egge - looks like - and maybe is - an egg. has 2 inteeresting moons. one with spike

Makemake analogue -Rooi - is red

Vesta Analogue - Vern - spins fast. VERY fast.

Larrisa analogue - Gryspear - looks like a grey ball with a SHARP ridge on the ekvator.

and giving Dres a Ovok sized moon and making it the size of Minmus.

Edited by The Minmus Derp
Deskriptionnes! Now with MOAR

You can use Kopernicus to make these. Just watch tutorials on YouTube (try The White Guardian, he has the best tutorials IMO) on how to make planets with Kopernicus. If you still don’t know, I could help.

1. Why didn't you just post this in the existing OPM thread?

2. No really major changes have been made to OPM in a long time (with the exception of Galileo taking over development) , and I doubt there will be any for a long time. Re-read OP properly, and now I feel stupid because there's no way to delete posts. Yeah, uhm, what Dankgum said, I guess. White Guardian's tutorials are pretty good.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

15 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

IDEA! An addon for OPM that adds these things:

Planet 9 analogue

Sedna analogue

Haumea analogue

I've actually made these for myself (my Haumea even has the right shape), but have never released them anywhere because I never thought anyone would care for them.  Plus, they have realistic orbits, which are so distant that they are near-impossible to reach.  I suppose I could bundle them up into a planet pack if there's interest.

Edited by JetJaguar

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I said i need helpers. that's why it says 'looking for devs!' in the title.

I don't know how to actually code, so i'll just write sciencedefs until i learn.

A planet pack may be hard to make but this is your chance to learn something new and get your name out in the community. Watch some tutorails on YouTube. In less than say 15 minutes, you could have a fully functional planet.

Tell you what, I'll bundle up the planets I've made that I feel are complete enough for public consumption into a pack and post them up.  Maybe I'll have time this weekend to do that.  Even if nobody plays them, they might be useful as a tutorial since whenever I ran into a problem, I left comments in the config files to remind myself of the solution.

I spy an ambitious and interesting project! However, I do notice a glaring issue.

On 4/25/2018 at 1:02 AM, The Minmus Derp said:

I do not really know how to code.

In that case - and this is going to sound a bit harsh - I advise putting this idea on the shelf for now until you've figured out at least the basics. Trust me, unless you know what you're doing, the result will be a lot of frustration and a planet pack that doesn't have a 'wow-factor' on par with that of other packs. These things really take time.

Once you've figured out how planet packs work under the hood (and by that I mean understanding the significance of most entries in a config file) I'd advise giving this pack another attempt.

I must admit that I'm somewhat tempted to offer my help with this pack, but in the end I must also admit that I'm more comfortable making mods as a one-man-army. I am however willing to answer any question you might have regarding the inner workings of planet mods.

Best of luck, my man.

Edited by The White Guardian

7 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

Tell you what, I'll bundle up the planets I've made that I feel are complete enough for public consumption into a pack and post them up.  Maybe I'll have time this weekend to do that.  Even if nobody plays them, they might be useful as a tutorial since whenever I ran into a problem, I left comments in the config files to remind myself of the solution.

Will this pack add any value to the community?  We already have a number of excellent planet packs from Kopernicus experts like The White Guardian and others.  Can you measure up to that level of quality?  By your own admission nobody would be interested.  Exactly what do you expect to accomplish?

1 hour ago, IceGiant said:

Will this pack add any value to the community?  We already have a number of excellent planet packs from Kopernicus experts like The White Guardian and others.  Can you measure up to that level of quality?  By your own admission nobody would be interested.  Exactly what do you expect to accomplish?

Was this directed at me, or the OP?  If me, then if you don't want to use my planets, you don't have to.  In fact, I don't want you to.  I'll write into the license agreement that you, specifically, are not allowed. :sticktongue:

OP, ignore him.  Everyone starts somewhere.  This is an ambitious goal, but just start by picking one, read some tutorials, and go for it.  When you come across a problem, look at other planet packs and see how others accomplished the same thing.  I'd start with a gas giant, they're fairly easy.

Edited by JetJaguar

4 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

Was this directed at me, or the OP?  If me, then if you don't want to use my planets, you don't have to.  In fact, I don't want you to.  I'll write into the license agreement that you, specifically, are not allowed. :sticktongue:

Yes I am talking to you.  You didn't answer the question.  What do you have to offer that nobody else has?

Edited by IceGiant

On 5/10/2018 at 12:05 AM, IceGiant said:

What do you have to offer that nobody else has?

Well, you'll find out soon enough.  Now I'm going to release a planet pack purely out of spite. ;)

Edited by JetJaguar

OhhhKaay. no arguments allowed or i will report you!

Spoiler

Kidding!:sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue:

Spoiler

i am kidding

Oh and, @The White Guardian, how do you make cubic moons?

Spoiler

See OP. Hypo. it is square.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:02 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Hyperion analogue - Hypo - a square and the kerbals' inspiration for the sponge

Edited by The Minmus Derp
Reasons™!

On 5/13/2018 at 6:37 AM, The Minmus Derp said:

OhhhKaay. no arguments allowed or i will report you!

Hide contents

Kidding!:sticktongue::sticktongue::sticktongue:

Hide contents

i am kidding

Hide contents

See OP. Hypo. it is square.

I don't believe cube planets are possible. That's why no one has made a flat kerbin mod yet.

On 4/25/2018 at 1:02 AM, The Minmus Derp said:

Sedna analogue - Pledna - inspired by @The White Guardian's pledna mod that has been abandoned

Pledna mod???

On 5/12/2018 at 10:37 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Heightmaps, my dude. You need to make a heightmap that grants a planet cube-like ridges.

Just an update so nobody thinks I forgot, I'm still working on getting my planets to a shareable state.  The pack will include the following:

-  Kepler 7b analogue, a hot Jupiter
-  Sedna analogue
-  Haumea analogue, including the largest member of it's collisional group
-  Planet Nine analogue

I'm choosing these four from my collection because they are more or less complete and support EVE, Scatterer, Orbital Science, Planetshine, and Distant Object Enhancement, and have Final Frontier ribbons.

I'm having trouble with one of Planet Nine's moons.  You see, these planets were originally made in 1.2.2.  But when I simply copied them into 1.4.3, this moon is just a grey ball.  As a test, I tried it in 1.3.1 and get the same thing.  Once I figure out what changed between 1.2 and 1.3 (any ideas?) and get this moon sorted, I'll upload the pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.