[KSP v1.4.x and BDAc v1.2.x] Enemy Mine v0.1.2.1 - Naval and Land Mines, Depth Charges and Hegehogs [7.19.18]

Enemy Mine

Please Note that Enemy Mine requires BD Armory Continued v1.2.1 or better ... please install the appropriate version for your BDAc version - See Download link list posted below

Adds Land Mines, Naval Mines, Depth Charges and Hedgehogs to KSP

PLEASE NOTE: Land Mines are virtually invisible when deployed (95%opacity) as well as ALL MINES WILL GO OFF REGARDLESS OF TEAM - THEY ARE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY KILLERS

Naval and Land Mines can be disarmed ...

• Land Mine Disarming requires the use of the Mine Detector KIS attachable item ... Do not move faster than 1.5 m/s or the mine will go off
  • Land Mines are virtually invisble ... only way to find and disarm them after deployment is by using a Mine Detector
  • Naval Mines have depth control ... Set the depth you wish them to sit at and they will automatically deploy themselves to that depth after being dropped
  • Naval Mines can be disarmed in the same fashion as the Land Mines as well as being able to be set off via the use of DWI mine Removal Equipment
  • DWI Mine Removal Equipment is used by attaching the "Ring of Death" to an aircraft and flying low across the water

Enemy Mine v0.1.0.0 - For KSP v1.4.x and BDAc v1.2.1:

Enemy Mine v0.1.0.1 - For KSP v1.4.x and BDAc v1.2.1.2

Enemy Mine v0.1.0.2 - For KSP v1.4.x and BDAc v1.2.1.3:

Enemy Mine v0.1.0.3 - For KSP v1.4.x and BDAc v1.2.1.4

Enemy Mine v0.1.2.1 - For KSP v1.4.x and BDAc v1.2.2.1:

Issues Link:

All credit for the mod idea goes to @TheKurgan .... All models courtesy of @SpannerMonkey(smce) and are licensed All Rights Reserved

Code Build Status License: GPL v3 License

Edited by DoctorDavinci

34 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

How far do the Hedgehogs get thrown?

As Doc says depends,  though i'd guess around 30 mtrs or so .   However what they are not really suitable for is standoff use , bow mounted fired from a static vessel,  my experience (lots of exploding ships) leads me to recommend that they are stern mounted and deployed from a moving vessel. While not historically correct in all aspects of use, they are very effective at clearing deep floating sea mines and submarines

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Hmm, how to use the hand placed mine? It seems to explode when i put it on the ground.

Hi, now that's something i've never even tried,  however in theory , as i know it works the other way around,  is to load 1 mine into a kerbs KIS inventory ,  as they can only carry one,  launch craft,  EVA,  make sure that the mine is set using the gui, for time delay, and proximity ,  take the mine from the inventory , and drop it on the ground, and make a hasty escape . I will say that it's not something I'd want to do for a couple of reasons,  it would take a very long time to place the mines,  Kerbs do not move quickly, so there's every chance that you could still be within proximity range of an active mine leading to kerb destruction

The real , as designed and developed way to deploy them, fit any suitable vehicle with the small mine racks  then attach the mines to the rack,  launch. go to where ever you want them deployed, and using the gui  deploy the mines directly from a moving vehicle . 

There are other ways to do it, @TheKurgan created  a missile using smart parts that deploys them via parachute,  I've also used the hedgehog rack to deploy land mines from a truck.

Removing mines via kerb , from early in development

Alright thanks!

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, now that's something i've never even tried,  however in theory , as i know it works the other way around,  is to load 1 mine into a kerbs KIS inventory ,  as they can only carry one,  launch craft,  EVA,  make sure that the mine is set using the gui, for time delay, and proximity ,  take the mine from the inventory , and drop it on the ground, and make a hasty escape . I will say that it's not something I'd want to do for a couple of reasons,  it would take a very long time to place the mines,  Kerbs do not move quickly, so there's every chance that you could still be within proximity range of an active mine leading to kerb destruction

The real , as designed and developed way to deploy them, fit any suitable vehicle with the small mine racks  then attach the mines to the rack,  launch. go to where ever you want them deployed, and using the gui  deploy the mines directly from a moving vehicle . 

There are other ways to do it, @TheKurgan created  a missile using smart parts that deploys them via parachute,  I've also used the hedgehog rack to deploy land mines from a truck.

What is the max speed for dropping landmines from a rack?

5 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Alright thanks!

What is the max speed for dropping landmines from a rack?

not sure if there is an actual max speed ... the mines will explode on you if they impact the surface hard enough but the speed at which you deploy them isn't necessarily the main factor

Speed, angle of impact on the ground and angular velocity of the mine are all factors involved

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Do mines detect each other?

No ... did you set the arming delay? ... Did you set the proximity distance? .... were you within that distance and traveling faster than 1.5m/s?

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

Seems to me that mines do explode even if they are dropped stationarily.

Do mines detect each other?

Hi see video below  for how i do it most of the time .

Tips

1. The faster you go the further apart your mines will be, the less effective the minefield will be.
2. Mines that are close together will ripple detonate, 1 mine will set off another mine, and it will be the full explosion force
3. Set a reasonable arming delay  and drive  forward , while noting point 1 and point 2
4. Only deploy mines using the button on the GUI shown
5. Experiment with the best layout and position for mounting on your vehicle , while plug and play will yield mostly positive results, it's always best to understand the method before committing to a scenario
6. Mines will kill anything, they do not care which team placed them

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.