Windows 10 or 7? Which is better?

10 or 7  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is better?

5 hours ago, dundun93 said:

The military doesn't use 10. Not stable enough for them. They use 7 or XP.

That's not why they don't use it.

A lot of the CNC machines I work on use DOS or win XP for the same exact reason.

If it works, don't fix it.

Imagine how many computers the military has.  Now they have to own a license for each one of those for the OS.   If they upgraded the OS's every few years when something shiny drops, the costs would be insane.  

16 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

If they upgraded the OS's every few years when something shiny drops, the costs would be insane.  

And if they fix windows 10 bugs every day, that will cost them a lot.

16 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

And if they fix windows 10 bugs every day, that will cost them a lot.

Not even W10.  Any OS.  One they find a stable setup between the OS and the custom software they are running, there is little reason to change it.

That was the cause of the Y2K problem.  Initially, the computer systems were only designed to run for so long before intending to be replaced.  But the users had no incentive to upgrade, since it was working, there is no reason to fix it.   The programmers, either through lack of foresight or engineered opulescence, coded the year as only a 2 digit number (ie 89 for 1989).  These legacy programs were still around at the turn of the century, and when they realized all the errors that were going to occur, there was a huge rush to get it fixed.   My college roommate and fraternity brother graduated in '98, and he made a mint fixing old COBOL systems, as the company he worked for charged a premium to customers who had waited too long and were now under a crunch to get things fixed. 

If you take a look at older industrial machines, a lot of them are still running on 70s and 80s computer software.   If there is no reason to update it, for example some of my CNC lathes don't need to know the date, then why spend the cost of redesigning it?  This applies to the manufacturer of the machine, and the user. 

Edited by Gargamel

21 hours ago, Gargamel said:

That's not why they don't use it.

A lot of the CNC machines I work on use DOS or win XP for the same exact reason.

Imagine how many computers the military has.  Now they have to own a license for each one of those for the OS.   If they upgraded the OS's every few years when something shiny drops, the costs would be insane.  

im supprised they dont have their own internally developed unix distro. having all their machines running an old windows sounds very secure, no way an enemy is going to hack a bunch of hellishly outdated software. its one thing to run something like that on an industrial machine that doesnt connect to the internet, but but on military hardware, thats absurd.

Edited by Nuke

47 minutes ago, Nuke said:

having all their machines running an old windows sounds very secure, no way an enemy is going to hack a bunch of hellishly outdated software.

Well, it's really not a big deal, cause most of them were made before wifi was common, and require 3.5" disks to load new programs.   The newer machines are running some propietary OS, and I think they have wifi, but we use flash drives for these, as they are the same file format as the older machines. 

49 minutes ago, Nuke said:

but but on military hardware, thats absurd.

When your tank was designed in the 70's, built in the 80's, and received periodic updates in the 90's and 00's,  and only connects to other machines through a highly secure, encrypted military network, it would be pretty absurd to update to the latest shiny OS.  They'd have to rewrite all the custom software that took 20 years to work out all the bugs. 

Spoiler
12 hours ago, Gargamel said:

When your tank was designed in the 70's, built in the 80's, and received periodic updates in the 90's and 00's,  and only connects to other machines through a highly secure, encrypted military network, it would be pretty absurd to update to the latest shiny OS

I have a USB compatible rocket launcher.
Works like a charm with XP and 7. Haven't tested it with 10.

Spoiler

usb-missile-launcher.jpg

The militaries are just afraid of occasional loss of data documents hidden folder with private photos. They don't know where it is, and use *.lnk file to access. 

On 5/26/2018 at 7:42 AM, Gargamel said:

True for anything not digital and designed for long-term.

14 hours ago, Nuke said:

No way an enemy is going to hack a bunch of hellishly outdated software.

Because there's no way they can infiltrate either. Gotta get someone init, and package it in a reptillian piece of tech that's less reliable the newer it is.

Bringing "mathematical" security is actually a good thing - but bringing a network where everyone can try to break it 24/7 isn't the best of ideas. And guess where modernity comes in.

Poll really needs yet another "Neither" option.

Edited by YNM

10 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Windows Movie Maker had disappeared before Win7, so then the best is XP.

It was actually still supported back then. It was discontinued only last year or so

On 5/28/2018 at 12:14 AM, YNM said:

Poll really needs yet another "Neither" option.

Indeed it does.
My vote would probably go to 7, if I could stand using either.

37 minutes ago, steve_v said:

My vote would probably go to 7

7 is the "lesser evil", but you do sometimes want the devil to take charge anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.