Terrainium - World building experiments

Nightside

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@Nightside Beautiful....
So, just wondering what the performance hit may be with this installed, and running all those buildings?
Have you done any testing lately?

Performance is not as bad as I expected, clock is running yellow, but I have LOTS of scatters on, and these have colliders (& this is in RSS!). But I'm on a kinda weird system (CAD Laptop SSD HD - 32 GB Ram, GeForce 940MX graphics, this means I can run lots of parts mods and still load quickly, but still can't run many visual mods), ymmv. 

I think there is a some room for improvement, with simpler building models and textures. I'm using the buildings from the Ecumenopolis mod, and some beautiful palm trees from KSRSS as terrain scatters. They are well done and interesting, but I think they are too detailed for generic cities on Kerbin/Earth.

I'm working out a script to add these cities to the same location as the city lights in EVE, I'd love to team with someone skilled in the arts of making simple, efficient models. (otherwise I might have to break down and finally learn to do some model making - simple buildings seem easy, but I don't know about textures.

Edited by Nightside

Fun in the city at night.

I'm trying to figure out how to optimize the textures, got mipmaps working and improve performance.

Still need to workout some issues with targeting certain areas only for cities, instead of infinite sprawl. Are there any experts on Kopernicus LandControl out there?

screenshot23screenshot33

screenshot41

screenshot53

screenshot61

wow that is looking awesome. i'd love to have those buildings so i can scatter onto my kerbin using kerbin konstructs. i tried to pull the ecu file apart cause i don't want the  planets but i do want those amazing buildings but i can not quite figure it out , at least until you have the script to scatter to match AVP .

as for me i just tore the city light file out of the mod. 

although i would happily put them back if i can incoperate your mod with it.

this should work in 1.9,1, since kerbal konstructs is updated, right?  or are there other dependencies?  I don't see any compatibility information on the top post (or did I miss it?)

5 hours ago, ss8913 said:

this should work in 1.9,1, since kerbal konstructs is updated, right?  or are there other dependencies?  I don't see any compatibility information on the top post (or did I miss it?)

The Mahia stuff at the top of the thread is kerbal konstructs, and should work in any recent version. I will eventually migrate Mahia into my ActualSites projects, which are Kerbal Konstructs related.

I'd like to focus this thread on Kopernicus stuff, like the scatter cities I posted a up this page.

On 5/23/2020 at 11:11 PM, erebamagi said:

wow that is looking awesome. i'd love to have those buildings so i can scatter onto my kerbin using kerbin konstructs. i tried to pull the ecu file apart cause i don't want the  planets but i do want those amazing buildings but i can not quite figure it out , at least until you have the script to scatter to match AVP .

as for me i just tore the city light file out of the mod. 

although i would happily put them back if i can incoperate your mod with it.

Thanks, that is helpful. I was able to find 4 EVE configs that each seem to use their own city lights. I was hoping there was some sort of community standard of city locations, I'll probably just go with the one that has a license that allows derivative works. 

I agree with you that it has always been disappointing to fly to a city region and just find that it is a weird colored patch of ground. Unfortunately that stuff is nowhere near release yet, because Kopernicus/squad PQS controls are notoriously poorly documented.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.