[KSP >= 1.3.0] TweakScale - Under Lisias' Management - 2.4.7.6 - 2024-0322

Lisias

3 hours ago, Crimor said:

For some reason whenever I copy a tank, it gets its original max storage back and I get "[Tweakscale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>" in the console, anyone got this before? Can't seem to figure out what's causing it(Tested with the basic 1.25m fuel can, but it happens with everything)

Looks like you need KSP-Recall to overcome a bug on KSP 1.9, but TweakScale would pesky you to install it and you already would had done it - unless you are using a pretty old TweakScale version. So I don't think things will be that easy for me, let's keep digging. :)

There's something smelling cheesy on this, and it's the "no valid member" thing. The first time something like that happened was due TMasterson5's patches - if by any reason you have it installed, you need to get rid of it. At least the patches mentioning TweakScale - TMasterson5's paches for TweakScale didnt' aged very well...

Another possibility is that you have an older version of B9PartSwitch, that has a bug on it causing some zombie parts to linger around way after their craft is dead (and, so, a lot of thingies are not there anymore). Update B9PartSwitch for the latest version, this will a fix some glitches for a lot of thingies, not only for TweakScale. 

If you don't, I will need your KSP.log for further inspection. See this post for further instructions (go to the "Support" section and open the Spoiler)

I have the most recent B9PartSwitch so doubt that's it, only tweakscale patch I have is the restockplus one.

https://oshi.at/LyoATf/KSPBugReport_2021-05-12_123359.zip

Opened the game, loaded save(which didn't get added to the zip for some reason?), entered SPH, 1.25m fuel tank as root part, added another 1.25m fuel tank to that, reduced it one step, copied it and added it to the one it was copied from.

And for good measure, the mods that was updated since last time I had time to play where it worked(the ones from today are ones I've tested so far to see if they were at fault):

vq6e4Uo.png

Edited by Crimor

4 hours ago, Crimor said:

Opened the game, loaded save(which didn't get added to the zip for some reason?), entered SPH, 1.25m fuel tank as root part, added another 1.25m fuel tank to that, reduced it one step, copied it and added it to the one it was copied from.

No warnings were found on this KSP.log.

Let's try something: redo the test, but launch the thing and recover it a couple times.

Your issue is smelling something familiar, if I'm right this should trigger something that could be logged.

On 5/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, Crimor said:

Nothing again. :([Found something! I was looking for the wrong problem!]

I found some NREs on SystemHeat, Janitor's Closet and MJ2 but nothing related to TweakScale this time.... :/

[EXC 17:06:11.960] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SystemHeat.SystemHeatEditor.FixedUpdate () (at <d1c22963482e4eb3bf8a39c8c5c5882f>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[ERR 17:06:55.272] Janitor's Closet: OnGUIApplicationLauncherReady, 1, exception: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 17:06:44.178] KerbalEngineer ->   at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlayPartInfo.OnGUI () [0x00021] in <f7b97258edac489d9f763fc3ebcf33c6>:0
[LOG 17:06:44.178] KerbalEngineer -> Exception  // System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlayPartInfo.OnGUI () [0x00021] in <f7b97258edac489d9f763fc3ebcf33c6>:0

From these, only SystemHeat may (and it's a wide wild guessing) be related because it's happening on the FixedUpdate thingy, and when something borks on the Update or in the FixedUpdate, a lot of unfinished business can spoil the game.

You will need an exploratory cirurgy on your rig: make a full backup, and them remove things one by one while trying to reproduce the problem until it vanishes - so you scrap the test bed, make another copy from the original and then remove only the last few add'ons from the last attempt to confirm these are the troublemakers. Pain in the SAS, but it's the only way.

But, first, you need to stablish a deterministic method of reproduce the problem... :/

-- -- POST EDIT -- -- 

I found something, I ended up being distracted by the Exceptions and forgot to look for the TweakScale's WARNING!

[LOG 17:02:28.840] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:02:57.789] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:02:57.823] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:03:51.445] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:03:51.479] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:04:36.025] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:04:36.061] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:06:10.216] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:06:10.251] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:06:37.602] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:06:37.639] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>

And a concrete case:

[LOG 17:02:27.118] [BetterCrewAssignment] Attached FU09 FL-T400 Fuel Tank.
[LOG 17:02:27.118] [BetterCrewAssignment] Crew assignment complete. Assigned 0 kerbals, left 0 slots empty.
[LOG 17:02:28.840] [TweakScale] WARNING: No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>
[LOG 17:02:30.794] fuelTank added to ship - part count: 3
[LOG 17:02:30.795] [BetterCrewAssignment] Ship modified, 3 parts.

I'm working on it as time allows.

-- -- POST POST EDIT -- -- 

@Crimor, I will need the ModuleManager patch log. I found a pattern, now I need to inspect who is patching the parts involved on that pattern. You will find the ModuleManager Patch Log on the <KSP_Folder>/Logs folder, together the other logs you already provided.

Edited by Lisias
POST POST EDIT

15 hours ago, Lisias said:

@Crimor, I will need the ModuleManager patch log. I found a pattern, now I need to inspect who is patching the parts involved on that pattern. You will find the ModuleManager Patch Log on the <KSP_Folder>/Logs folder, together the other logs you already provided.

https://oshi.at/DcbfBJ

Been removing some mods to try and figure out what's causing it but no luck so far, the ones removed so far:

System Heat
Far Future Technologies
Janitor's Closet
Global Construction
BetterCrewAssignment
OPT (Was the one giving the TankTag errors on load)
Restock
Waterfall
Kerbal Engineer
FMRS+RecoveryController
B9 Part Switch
Near Future (Was the one doing the mass/cost or whatever errors on load)
Kerbal Atomics
Mk2 Mk3 stockalike
Space Dust
Heat Control
Stockalike Station
Kerbal Foundries 2
KSP Wheel
WorldStabilizer

Edited by Crimor

2 hours ago, Crimor said:

https://oshi.at/DcbfBJ

Been removing some mods to try and figure out what's causing it but no luck so far, the ones removed so far:

This log didn't helped me, as it doesn't patches any of the parts I detected something weird on your last log. Sorry.

Could you please reproduce the problem again with the current modset, and then publish everything again (including the MM logs)?

11 minutes ago, Lisias said:

This log didn't helped me, as it doesn't patches any of the parts I detected something weird on your last log. Sorry.

Could you please reproduce the problem again with the current modset, and then publish everything again (including the MM logs)?

https://oshi.at/LypVty

Also added the ckan modlist in case that sheds some light on it.

Repro: Start new save, go to SPH, pick any part as first part(FL400 in this case), resize it for tweakscale warnings.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:38 AM, Crimor said:

https://oshi.at/LypVty

Also added the ckan modlist in case that sheds some light on it.

Repro: Start new save, go to SPH, pick any part as first part(FL400 in this case), resize it for tweakscale warnings.

Yep, it helped. thanks. I'm currently downloading the whole shebang (my poor rig is crying quietly in anticipation of the test session - man, what a collection of add'ons!)... :D I will edit this post with my findings.

On a side note, a .CKAN export would be better - the modlist needed to be converted by KerbalX (what's not a problem at all), but when CKAN checked the (current) dependencies, some options had popped up and this means that I may had choose options different from what you had choose.

-- -- POST EDIT -- -- 

Something called CraftImport is issuing some Exceptions on my rig, and I didn't found my way on Construction Time. I'm removing these things from the testbed, but it will take some hours until I find time to check this again. Stay tuned.

-- -- POST POST EDIT -- -- 

@Crimor, I could not manage to reproduce the problem. I used the FT-T400 (after spending some time looking for FT-400 :P it's late...), scaled it up, scaled it down, attached it something, attached something to it, and nothing.

When installing, CKAN added FAR and WildBlue Classic Stock Resources and I had to install them because they were tagged as dependency for something else, and I later removed FAR (after doing some tests with it too, just in case...).

A complete report for this test session is here: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/92#issuecomment-843140403

Edited by Lisias
fixing the link for the report.

Weird, I'll try a full reinstall and see if that fixes it.

Downloaded the ckan file from the github issue since I didn't know it couldn't just import from txt. Doesn't seem to be the modlist I used? Has things I know I never installed like chatterer, EVE, PAPI lights etc

Edited by Crimor

53 minutes ago, Crimor said:

Weird, I'll try a full reinstall and see if that fixes it.

If you reproduce it again, pack all logs you can find, module manager thingies (configcache, tech tree, etc), the SFS file and the craft file. Exit KSP first, to make ksp.log is not truncated. 

Also a CKAN export (not only the modllist), so I don't have to convert it on KerbalX (one less variable on the equation).

I find this pretty unusual. Every living part belongs to a living craft, and if TweakScale can't find the living craft (what we can know due the <UNK> thingy), it's because something is keeping the part alive after the owner was removed from the game - what's usually someone forgetting to withdraw a Module from a game event on destroying.

Another possibility is a third-party booking on a critical section of game, and then a perfectly fine code that would withdraw the part from a gameevent is never run - and we have a similar misbehavior.

So I'm confident it's a DLL problem,  not a patching one. Worst,  something not deterministic.  :(

42 minutes ago, Crimor said:

How did you convert a text file to ckan anyway? Not seeing any obvious option for it on kerbalx, already did a full clean on the ksp folder so not exactly a good way to get a .ckan now.

Good question... I checked my history for links I visited this weekend, and only found the download link for a mod_pack, something completely different. Curiously, the CKAN file I got also had some random mods I picked from your modlist.txt - so perhaps I had a false confirmation for something I completely misunderstood? (it was late night when I had time to try this).

Well... Give me the CKAN file you are using. This will solve the problem for good.

Just to make sure it wasn't my pc that was entirely messing it up I did a basic install of tweakscale, restock, recall, etc and it worked fine, so it's definitely something in that ckan file.

Currently remaking my modlist from scratch, only adding a few mods at a time and relaunching ksp(Thank love I have it on an SSD nowadays) and the problem of the values resetting(But not the error in the log weirdly enough?) started happening

Once I figure out what mod is causing it I'll make an updated .ckan of the list and it will hopefully shine some more light on it.

-Post Edit-

https://oshi.at/kKdWQW

Here's the .ckan,  Configurable containers was (One of? gonna continue testing without it to see if there's more, maybe even find the thing making the error) the culprit even though it's supposedly compatible. Gonna guess it happened around the update with ksp-recall doing stuff since before then it worked fine.

Repro: Install modpack, launch game, resize container in editor, copy part, parts now back to its original max while keeping its current.. current.

(CC was literally one of the first mods I suspected, I have no clue why it didn't get fixed when I removed it from the original modlist, might be a second mod doing it but I'll find that one eventually if it exists)

-The continued journey in what has made me somehow have fun debugging what's causing this-

So I've confirmed that the error "No valid member found for diameter in Part for <unk>" isn't (directly?) related to the bug with the fuel messing up, I've somehow managed to fix my remade modlist with what does this, but the error snuck back in at one point but it doesn't seem directly harmful?

And to make it even more fun, the fuel bug is happening with Bluedog Design Bureau parts, but not the vanilla ones, so now I have to test for both of them until I figure out what's causing the unk error to see if that fixes everything

-Finally finding stuff-

The culprit for the <unk> error seems to be KSP Interstellar, but the max fuel resetting still happens with bluedog, apparently the tweakscale configs for bluedog is over a year out of date so that might be the cause for the messed up values related to that,

I haven't found any... actual problems that happen with the <unk> error that doesn't also happen without it, so it might be harmless in some weird way?

Updated ckan of the modlist stripped down the list to interstellar: https://oshi.at/vEQQPQ

Edited by Crimor

Final thoughts:

Configurable Containers is what's causing everything to have the problem

Bluedog needs an updated patch to solve the problem happening to their parts. EDIT: most likely B9 Part switch related.

KSP Interstellar causes the <unk> warning in the console but it seems harmless as far as I've observed it.

Confirmed all three happening by having only the mods and their dependencies loaded

Edited by Crimor

I've been getting a warning on the main menu screen that says X parts are not supported by tweakscale.  Is there any way to permanently dismiss this warning?   I know those parts aren't compatible, I don't need the game to keep reminding me, it doesn't even say which ones are the problem.

22 hours ago, Crimor said:

Final thoughts:

Configurable Containers is what's causing everything to have the problem

Bluedog needs an updated patch to solve the problem happening to their parts. EDIT: most likely B9 Part switch related.

KSP Interstellar causes the <unk> warning in the console but it seems harmless as far as I've observed it.

Confirmed all three happening by having only the mods and their dependencies loaded

Thank you for zeroing into the problems for me! :) 

I will took over from here as soon as some RL issues are solved (everybody are terribly overloaded at job nowadays...)

16 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I've been getting a warning on the main menu screen that says X parts are not supported by tweakscale.  Is there any way to permanently dismiss this warning?   I know those parts aren't compatible, I don't need the game to keep reminding me, it doesn't even say which ones are the problem.

Yes. Once the ModuleManager.ConfigCache is one hour old or older, the Yellow Warnings does not appears anymore (until you install or remove something,  what will rebuild the ConfigCache, and then they appear again for one more hour).

If this warning keeps showing even after one hour since the last time you added something to KSP, then we may have one of the following problems:

1. I messed up something on the code without being aware.
    1. I'll check this in the next hours, as time allows
  2. You have an Error on the patches installed on your GameData, and this prevents Module Manager from creating the ConfigCache, so TweakScale will always show the Warning
    1. Please check the Module Manager's log for any ERROR messages, and then ask the Maintainer for a fix.
      1. (There's also a message in ORANGE on the MM's Patching Messages on boot).
      2. It will look like this (I forced an error on Recall to illustrate it)
        Yd6baPk.png
    2. Alternatively, you can try to fix it yourself (some of these errors are simple to fix)
    3. Or just remove the offending Add'On.
  3. Something else is "touching" the file (UNIX lingo) and updating the last modified property , fooling TweakScale into believing it was regenerated again.
    1. It's pretty unlikely, but not impossible. I mentioning it just for the sake of completude.
    2. If you are incredibly unlucky to be hit by such stunt, you will need to find the culprit yourself - as I can't help. :(
Edited by Lisias
Grammars. I hate grammars...

3 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

For what it's worth, I'm on 1.11.2 with Config Containers, no issues.

Weird, could you upload a .ckan file of your modlist? I've been getting the problem of resetting fuel values with just CC and tweakscale

On 5/19/2021 at 4:20 AM, Lisias said:

Yes. Once the ModuleManager.ConfigCache is one hour old or older, the Yellow Warnings does not appears anymore (until you install or remove something,  what will rebuild the ConfigCache, and then they appear again for one more hour).

I'm sorry, you are correct, it does go away after an hour, and it only comes back whenever anything is added.

I suppose that the game has no way of knowing that it has already warned me about those parts.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

8 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I suppose that the game has no way of knowing that it has already warned be about those parts.

It would be a hell of a complicated code, prone to errors, when a single "hack" would do the job.

The thing is that I would need to remember not only the parts that were warned, but also what they were and why they broke - some warnings are triggered on combinations of changes (i.e., installing more than one fuel switch at the same time on a part), and so a new add'on being installed or removed can create or fix the condition on which the warning would be triggered - so a part that had a warning last time could be fixed and then broken again in  a different way (and this was effectively happening a lot some time ago).

So I choose to check the timestamp of the ConfigCache and call it a day.

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing.

23 hours ago, Crimor said:

Weird, could you upload a .ckan file of your modlist? I've been getting the problem of resetting fuel values with just CC and tweakscale

I manually do all my ksp modding. I don't use CKAN but here's my entire game data folder.

Spoiler

G66GU5y.png

4 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

I manually do all my ksp modding. I don't use CKAN but here's my entire game data folder.

This is going to be a nightmare to reproduce... ;.;

I think we need a tool that, given a GameDatabase, could "reverse-engineer" it to generate a CKAN export file that could reproduce. This would allow non CKAN users to be better served while asking for support without the need to use something some users (me included) prefer not to use...

@ElonsMusk do you know how to come with the DOS Command/Command Line terminal? If yes, try this

cd "C:\the\full\pathmame\where\your\KSP\is\installed"
dir /n /s GameData > GameData.dir.txt

And publish the GameData.dir.txt thingy on dropbox or something. With that , I can try to hack my way to forge a CKAN export for us.

4 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

Did I do something incorrectly?

DOJ2EV3.png

Nope. I forgot about a idiosyncrasy from Windows. :P

type "F:" to change the current drive to the one you use for KSP"

cd "F:\the\full\pathmame\where\your\KSP\is\installed"
f:
dir /n /s GameData > GameData.dir.txt