I'm a new player and I'm looking for tips and tricks

Interstellar Yeet

So I started playing 2 days ago. So far I have managed to orbit the moon and minmus and I got some science for that. What I'm really looking for is if there's any nice people here that could maybe add me on discord and help me and explain a few things to me. I can't land on minmus because I lose control for some reason, and if I want to land on the Mun I have to land on the near side of the moon to actually have control over my rocket.  If anyone would add me on discord I could seend screenshots of all my buildings and my science tree so far

Hey! Welcome, @Interstellar Yeet!

You can add images here too, through Imgur. You don’t even need an account, just upload your image and copy and paste the direct link into your post.

And stick around, too. I promise we’re all really nice, and I’m willing to bet that you’ll find more friendly support and help here than Discord :D

(No offence to Discord, but you’ll find the most dedicated KSP players here :))

Thanks for the reply guys, I will definitely stick around. What I mean about discord though is that it's just alot easier for me to speak there than to navigate this forum as I'm really new. So if any of you could add me in discord and I could talk to you there it would help me a lot. If not, I will try to post the screenshots in here!

11 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

You can add images here too, through Imgur. You don’t even need an account, just upload your image and copy and paste the direct link into your post.

And stick around, too. I promise we’re all really nice, and I’m willing to bet that you’ll find more friendly support and help here than Discord :D

5 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Agreed. If you want help with progressing through Kerbal Space Program, you should definitely check out here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/16-gameplay-questions-and-tutorials/ 

Third-Ed. It sounds like you’re using a probe. For Minmus you need more antennas, and need to right click them and deploy them. You also need solar panels and batteries. Or you could try using Kerbals (use a cockpit/command module), but you still need solar panels and batteries. Have fun, it’s a great game!

@Interstellar Yeet

Okay so my tracking station is level 2, VAB is level 2, Research thing is also level 2 and mission control is on level 2. So right now I have 400 science, and no idea what to spend it on. 

https://imgur.com/a/ly9n08G this is my science tree

https://imgur.com/a/DMelUvh a little edit here, this is my rocket right now. A scientist is in it,  it has the goo, solar panels, batterys, one antenna, barometer, thermometer

The thing is I'm trying to actually land a manned capsule on the Mun to do ground samples, and possibly either build a rover or get science from all the biomes in one way or another. And I also want to do the same on Minmus. So, when i reach the far side of the moon i can't control my rocket, and when i reach anywhere near Minmus I also can't control my rocket. Is simply adding more antennas enough? Or do I need to upgrade my tracking station to level 3? The biggest problem I have right now is funds

Edited by Interstellar Yeet

Welcome to the forum, @Interstellar Yeet!

It's also possible you're sending a craft with a kerbal, who isn't a pilot.  You'll run into the same issues as a probe core without a signal back to Kerbin.  If you're in early career and hanging outside of LKO (Low Kerbin Orbit), make sure you've got a Comm network set up that can handle the distance and LOS (Line Of Sight) problems, or just stick a pilot in the pod. Which, until you hire more kerbals, will be Valentina or Jebediah.  Bill's a fine wrench-turner and Bob is pretty good with Microscopes, but neither of them can pilot their way out of a box.

Welcome to the Kerbal forum! I promise none of us will accidentally load you on a rocket and accidentally blow you up..... probably.... maybe......

Scott Manley has some good tutorials aswell.

42 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Real is right, KSP has arguably one of the best game communities out there!

8 minutes ago, SnacklessKerbal said:

Welcome to the Kerbal forum! I promise none of us will accidentally load you on a rocket and accidentally blow you up..... probably.... maybe......

Scott Manley has some good tutorials aswell.

Real is right, KSP has arguably one of the best game communities out there!

Scott manley is the one I have been watching, but his videos are 3 or more years old so a lot is not the way it used to be and not to much help of me.  And thanks!

11 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Welcome to the forum, @Interstellar Yeet!

It's also possible you're sending a craft with a kerbal, who isn't a pilot.  You'll run into the same issues as a probe core without a signal back to Kerbin.  If you're in early career and hanging outside of LKO (Low Kerbin Orbit), make sure you've got a Comm network set up that can handle the distance and LOS (Line Of Sight) problems, or just stick a pilot in the pod. Which, until you hire more kerbals, will be Valentina or Jebediah.  Bill's a fine wrench-turner and Bob is pretty good with Microscopes, but neither of them can pilot their way out of a box.

I have a scientist in my cockpit and some probe thing over that provide stability (forgot what its called). What is a Comm network? And how do I set that up?

2 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

@Interstellar Yeet, there is a Tutorials section in Kerbal Space Program, so you can check that out as well to learn things.

I will definitely do that. Also, I posted the screenshot of my science tree. Could you maybe tell me what would be smartest to invest in? I only have 400 science but I was thinking about getting the space exploration stuff and then the one that gives me that mobile science lab.

15 minutes ago, Interstellar Yeet said:

I have a scientist in my cockpit and some probe thing over that provide stability (forgot what its called). What is a Comm network? And how do I set that up?

Communications network.  Kerbin has a some pretty good antennas, but they can't send signals through planets.  And if the antenna on your ship is really weak, it will lose contact with Kerbin shortly after you leave LKO.

So basically you need satellites to relay the signals, and bigger antennas on your ships, if you're not sending a pilot.  You're losing control of your ships because they can no longer talk to Kerbin.  Your scientist doesn't know what to do, and there's no signal for the controllers on Kerbin to tell it what to do.

Be careful, though, not all antennas will relay signals.  The ones that do specifically say relay on them.  To set up an efficient network, you'll need to set them up using a resonant orbit calculator.

That's getting advanced, and is usually only used later in the career.  Right now you might be able to get away with a bigger antenna and a low end relay.

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Communications network.  Kerbin has a some pretty good antennas, but they can't send signals through planets.  And if the antenna on your ship is really weak, it will lose contact with Kerbin shortly after you leave LKO.

So basically you need satellites to relay the signals, and bigger antennas on your ships, if you're not sending a pilot.  You're losing control of your ships because they can no longer talk to Kerbin.  Your scientist doesn't know what to do, and there's no signal for the controllers on Kerbin to tell it what to do.

Be careful, though, not all antennas will relay signals.  The ones that do specifically say relay on them.  To set up an efficient network, you'll need to set them up using a resonant orbit calculator.

That's getting advanced, and is usually only used later in the career.  Right now you might be able to get away with a bigger antenna and a low end relay.

I see, thank you for your reply. At the moment I am on my way to the Mun to try and land there. My idea is to orbit the moon so that when I get out of the far side of the moon and gain contact with kerbin again, I will attempt to do my landing on the near side of the moon. Now I actually just have to manage to actually land on the moon, cus last time I exploded. it's really hard! And my other problem is, even if i DO managed to land, I am not sure I am able to get back to kerbin. I have enough fuel to orbit the moon and fly back to kerbin, but im not so sure about the landing part.

23 minutes ago, Interstellar Yeet said:

Scott manley is the one I have been watching, but his videos are 3 or more years old so a lot is not the way it used to be and not to much help of me.  And thanks!

Yeah, you're right about that.

As for now, don't worry about a relay network, I never do, and I have a Ike base! Just use a bigger antenna. For now a few HG-5s should work, or just put a Communotron 88-88 on your ship. Don't forget to deploy them!

Somehow missed a few posts... Go with the HG5s, you don't have the Communotronn yet. Also don't forget pliots!

28 minutes ago, Interstellar Yeet said:

I see, thank you for your reply. At the moment I am on my way to the Mun to try and land there. My idea is to orbit the moon so that when I get out of the far side of the moon and gain contact with kerbin again, I will attempt to do my landing on the near side of the moon. Now I actually just have to manage to actually land on the moon, cus last time I exploded. it's really hard! And my other problem is, even if i DO managed to land, I am not sure I am able to get back to kerbin. I have enough fuel to orbit the moon and fly back to kerbin, but im not so sure about the landing part.

Well, landing and taking off again is going to get expensive as far as fuel goes.  It's pretty much why the Apollo program left an orbiter around the Moon and only half the lander came back up.

Not that you have to do it that way, it's certainly possible to build a ship in this game that can land, take off, and come back to Kerbin without shedding any parts.

Can you post some pictures of your craft?  Let's see what we have to work with.

40 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Well, landing and taking off again is going to get expensive as far as fuel goes.  It's pretty much why the Apollo program left an orbiter around the Moon and only half the lander came back up.

Not that you have to do it that way, it's certainly possible to build a ship in this game that can land, take off, and come back to Kerbin without shedding any parts.

Can you post some pictures of your craft?  Let's see what we have to work with.

Hello! https://imgur.com/a/DMelUvh If you click this link you will see my ship. I added a few more antennas and a little more solar panels to it. It has all the basic science stuff, a cockpit and some other stuff. I got the fuel tubes on the bottom there so that I can detach the two rockets to the side and use the main one with full fuel when i get around orbit, then when that gets out of fuel i have a small rocket with landing gear for landing on the mun. If you look at one of my previous posts there's a imgur link to my science tree and I have 400 science but no clue what to upgrade. 

Hello, @Interstellar Yeet!

If you'd like to chat on discord, drop your username and tag in a PM message, I'd be happy to help!

Your Mun rocket might need a small tank and a little 0.625m tank under the science kit, so that would become an ascent stage. You could use this to minimise your landing stage and avoid lugging heavy hardware around. Put a couple of probes in orbit or bring a pilot to relay your comma to the KSC. Some stats for your ship would also help, feel free to message me either here or on Discord.

Welcome to KSP!

Edited by SiriusRocketry

17 minutes ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Hello, @Interstellar Yeet!

If you'd like to chat on discord, drop your username and tag in a PM message, I'd be happy to help!

Your Mun rocket might need a small tank and a little 0.625m tank under the science kit, so that would become an ascent stage. You could use this to minimise your landing stage and avoid lugging heavy hardware around. Put a couple of probes in orbit or bring a pilot to relay your comma to the KSC. Some stats for your ship would also help, feel free to message me either here or on Discord.

Welcome to KSP!

Thank you so much! I did send you a PM so just message me whenever.

I've started to piece your ship together.  I'm not using 1.5 yet, so I'm having a little bit of an issue with the new tank textures, but from what I'm seeing now, your ship simply does not have enough fuel to land on the Mun and return.

Also a little confused.  You have parachutes on the Science Jr. but you also have a heat shield and decoupler under the pod.  What's your plan for re-entry?

2 hours ago, Interstellar Yeet said:

I will definitely do that. Also, I posted the screenshot of my science tree. Could you maybe tell me what would be smartest to invest in? I only have 400 science but I was thinking about getting the space exploration stuff and then the one that gives me that mobile science lab.

400 Science?! You should get all available things with that science to get better parts! 400 science is really good!

Just now, Geonovast said:

I've started to piece your ship together.  I'm not using 1.5 yet, so I'm having a little bit of an issue with the new tank textures, but from what I'm seeing now, your ship simply does not have enough fuel to land on the Mun and return.

Also a little confused.  You have parachutes on the Science Jr. but you also have a heat shield and decoupler under the pod.  What's your plan for re-entry?

The parachutes on the science junior is just in case I need them for landing on the moon with my science stuff. And if I would use those i just cut them of before i go back to kerbin, then i decouple all that stuff and bring the pod down. So they are just for safe measure I guess

1 minute ago, Interstellar Yeet said:

The parachutes on the science junior is just in case I need them for landing on the moon with my science stuff. And if I would use those i just cut them of before i go back to kerbin, then i decouple all that stuff and bring the pod down. So they are just for safe measure I guess

Ok, soooo....

Parachutes need air to work.  There's no air on the Mun!  So we can ditch those.

I'm also fairly certain those giant fins on the bottom aren't needed.  Testing your rocket now...

3 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Ok, soooo....

Parachutes need air to work.  There's no air on the Mun!  So we can ditch those.

I'm also fairly certain those giant fins on the bottom aren't needed.  Testing your rocket now...

Okay LOL I'm such an idiot hahaha. Well that's embarrassing, no air on the mun, right... 

I'm pretty sure the fins are not necessarily needed but I have upgraded my VAB so I could have them on just for more stability while I get into orbit. A problem I have is when i reach orbit altitude I usually go around 1300 meters per second which is nowhere near fast enough. I can't seem to get an efficient orbit around kerbin to launch myself out to the mun without wasting all of my fuel. Also,  under that science junior and the box I can open to put my science stuff in, there's one of those rockets that are only good in space. That's the one I plan on using to land on the mun. Do you have discord by any chance? So maybe we could talk there while I'm also in game. 

1 minute ago, Interstellar Yeet said:

Okay LOL I'm such an idiot hahaha. Well that's embarrassing, no air on the mun, right... 

I'm pretty sure the fins are not necessarily needed but I have upgraded my VAB so I could have them on just for more stability while I get into orbit. A problem I have is when i reach orbit altitude I usually go around 1300 meters per second which is nowhere near fast enough. I can't seem to get an efficient orbit around kerbin to launch myself out to the mun without wasting all of my fuel. Also,  under that science junior and the box I can open to put my science stuff in, there's one of those rockets that are only good in space. That's the one I plan on using to land on the mun. Do you have discord by any chance? So maybe we could talk there while I'm also in game. 

Haha, it's alright.  I've done my fair share of facepalm worthy things in this game.

The fins do add stability.  But if you're careful enough, you can get the rocket to orbit without them.  Having them there adds weight and drag, which means you use more fuel to get to orbit. 

I may have been wrong about the rocket not being able to return.  It looks like there's enough left in the rocket after I get to orbit to not only transfer to the Mun, but also get to orbit and start the decent.  That might, might leave enough for the landing and return.

Once I'm done, I'll repeat and get some good screenshots.  I'm sorry, I do not have discord.

Do you understand the concept of dV?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.