How do you prevent overbuild for replicas

Jestersage

First, for those that are feature oriented, the answer is naturally "No such thing as overbuild" IMHO.

However, for replica, at what point do you consider as overbuilding? In the case of LM, I am falling into "over-science". How do you prevent that?

3 hours ago, Gapone said:

What is overbuilding?

In terms of Kerbal Craft: That's a good question, thank you for asking

In terms of replica: Putting too much stuff in there where it just plain doesn't belong.... so I guess a Space Launch System clone using 4 or 4x2 solid boosters is over building, but not if you decide to call it Jupiter III and have 2x 3.75m fuel tank on its sides.

Or your typical using Kerbal's 3.75m tank for Falcon 9s/Heavy.

Edited by Jestersage

On 4/7/2019 at 9:53 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

I consider overbuilding a replica is when a Saturn V replica can go to Eeloo instead of the munç

No joke that actually happened to me

The funny thing is, the Saturn V was actually capable of launching stuff to Mars... Von Braun was already one step ahead, but politics hit the brake again... We would have seen manned Mars landings in our early childhood, as Von Brauns Mars-Project was proposed in the 1950s...

2 hours ago, Frank_G said:

The funny thing is, the Saturn V was actually capable of launching stuff to Mars... Von Braun was already one step ahead, but politics hit the brake again... We would have seen manned Mars landings in our early childhood, as Von Brauns Mars-Project was proposed in the 1950s...

My near-replica of a Saturn V has enough DV be able to send the Apollo capsule and LEM to just about anywhere in the stock system. The LEM would work on almost any body without an atmosphere too. I think Moho is the one body that would be a challenge just because your flyby is very fast, but that might even be possible

If you want to build a scale Saturn V and have it perform roughly like the real thing did try rescaling your system to 2.5-3.2x. To make the game more approachable for new players the devs adjusted stock rocket performance to be much more forgiving than RL.

Edited by Tyko

On 4/7/2019 at 12:26 PM, Jestersage said:

First, for those that are feature oriented, the answer is naturally "No such thing as overbuild" IMHO.

However, for replica, at what point do you consider as overbuilding? In the case of LM, I am falling into "over-science". How do you prevent that?

Kerbin and the rest of the system are so tiny, which means delta-V requirements will also be tiny.

So, you have to decide if you are making a visual scale model, or a functional scale model. A functional scale model would be much shorter and probably pretty silly looking, just like the Kerbals themselves!. I would likely have much less powerful engines (or perhaps a lot of dead weight clipped inside), or, as someone mentioned partially empty tanks and reduced thrust engines. It can end up being a lot extra work designing something that looks right (in the real world) and flies right (in KSP).

• 3 weeks later...

Use Real Solar System.

Overbuilding is the inevitable result of having a planet 1/11th the size. You can't make a Saturn V or a Shuttle or something that's both realistic and can't go to Eeloo.

Its a balancing act. Build for yourself first so if you find the craft is hard to fly due to part count take another look at it and see where you could make some part savings. Now that we dont really need struts and parts are bigger its easier than ever to save a lot of parts on replica builds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.