Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

12 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

I still have it... you have to set the "input mode" to "linked" ... only then the button shows up

Omg, I'm such an idiot. Sorry. I guess that's what operating on two hours of horrible sleep gets you. 

Please tell me at least the crashing to desktop part is real and I didn't somehow make it up. :/

41 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

Omg, I'm such an idiot. Sorry. I guess that's what operating on two hours of horrible sleep gets you. 

Please tell me at least the crashing to desktop part is real and I didn't somehow make it up. :/

no problem :) ...

the other one is confirmed... it's because of the newly introduced Commnet-compatibility (you cannot control the servos now, when they're on a ship that's uncontrollable... but you still can, when you're a computer or something like KOS)... and this change in  the interface does cause those problems (it generates an endless loop which in the end crashes the game)

@Rudolf Meier
It seems like robotics in this game can't catch a break. Found another one. This time it's nodes. The bug is quite old, goes back to version 3.1.3, at least. 

Spoiler

Checked further and found out that the link on linked parts gets removed after a save-reload. Also old.

Spoiler

Another one to add to the list: if you copy a rescaled part, the scaling gets reset after a save-reload. Started happening in 3.1.4.

Spoiler

Edited by dok_377
Found more things to report.

9 hours ago, dok_377 said:

@Rudolf Meier
Checked further and found out that the link on linked parts gets removed after a save-reload.

I didn't know this one... will look into it

9 hours ago, dok_377 said:

@Rudolf Meier
It seems like robotics in this game can't catch a break. Found another one. This time it's nodes. The bug is quite old, goes back to version 3.1.3, at least. 

There are some editor related problems, that's true. I didn't go deep into this in the past, but started now and ... well, it's not easy. Understanding the editor is a lot different from understanding the behavior during the flights.

One of the main problems I have seen too is what you reported. The scaling, load of scaling and mainly the attach nodes and symmetry (which is difficult to handle, when the parts are in a non neutral position).

... and on the other side there are still some other minor problems and cleanup of code.

(plus my other project... the IK for IR and... "walking arms" and special docking nodes and stuff like that... ;) )

22 minutes ago, Rudolf Meier said:

and symmetry (which is difficult to handle, when the parts are in a non neutral position)

Oh yeah, even from the player's point of view the symmetry on the robotics has always been a nightmare, even with dlc ones. One second it works just fine, the next second you do something and it breaks everything. I can only imagine what you see in there when you look at raw code.

I just hope that it can at least be improved.

Just now, dok_377 said:

I can only imagine what you see in there when you look at raw code.

yup... one of the main problems is that there is a bug (whenever a symmetry part is shown, when you hover over a possible attach point, then it creates a new object... which is the first problem, because you have to modify all the meshes and stuff like that... and then when you leave this area of a possible attach point, then those objects get destroyed again and you receive a wrong callback for all the symmetric parts... not the main part, just the symmetric ones) and then the thing that's confusing to users is, that the parts keep the "original orientation" stored when they get attached and they will restore their orientation to this when you detach them... now, why is this confusing? well, if you rotate the elements while they're attached, this doesn't influence this original position... and when you rotate the parent or reattach it to somewhere else, it also doesn't influence this original position... as well as the re-root... which means, that whenever you detach a part, the original attachment orientation is restored and that's mostly something you can't understand as user

but, I think I won't try to fix the editor... I will only try to make IR parts behave like stock parts

• 3 weeks later...

Heya, it appears this mod conflicts with B9 procedural wings for some reason. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a myriad of mods, and it seems this one is the one that breaks the procedural wings. What it does is completely break the symmetry of those wings in mirror mode and cause them to end up rotated 180 degrees away from where they should be.

12 hours ago, ButterJohnny said:

Heya, it appears this mod conflicts with B9 procedural wings for some reason. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a myriad of mods, and it seems this one is the one that breaks the procedural wings. What it does is completely break the symmetry of those wings in mirror mode and cause them to end up rotated 180 degrees away from where they should be.

I'm getting the same behavior with v3.19 installed via CKAN (completely stock otherwise). It seems that mirror symmetry in the space plane hanger is broken with the latest update.  This occurs on wings and RCS thrusters and the attachment point is in the right place but the part is not mirrored correctly. For some reason doesn't happen on antenna or batteries. Downgrading to v3.18 seems to sidestep the issue for now.

fHBXKxi.png

22 minutes ago, CosmicEnbi said:

I'm getting the same behavior with v3.19 installed via CKAN (completely stock otherwise). It seems that mirror symmetry in the space plane hanger is broken with the latest update.  This occurs on wings and RCS thrusters and the attachment point is in the right place but the part is not mirrored correctly. For some reason doesn't happen on antenna or batteries. Downgrading to v3.18 seems to sidestep the issue for now.

fHBXKxi.png

Same here

On 2/26/2023 at 4:55 AM, CosmicEnbi said:

fHBXKxi.png

Confirming that this issue is solved in v3.1.10, in case anyone was wondering (like me) if it's safe to install this mod

Hi, I've got a small feature request: Could we get the "Current Position" indicator for Rotatrons in Rotor mode, too?
I'm referring to this:

Currently, the indicator does not appear for Rotatrons in Rotor mode.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:41 PM, NicoNicoratti said:

Confirming that this issue is solved in v3.1.10, in case anyone was wondering (like me) if it's safe to install this mod

ye, it is fixed in 3.1.10 ... sorry

it was caused by the new code that allows you to attach/detach/mirror the parts correctly, even when they are not in a neutral position... with the latest version you should be able to build crafts with pre-rotated parts in all thinkable configurations

I'm still getting a weird mirror issue with v3.1.10.  
When placing any part (stock, modded, procedural, etc.) in mirror mode, the mirrored part is flipped around backwards (like its in radial mode). Reverting IR to v3.1.8 fixes this.

Edited by Aerospacesmith

7 hours ago, Aerospacesmith said:

I'm still getting a weird mirror issue with v3.1.10.  

Can you show me a screenshot? ... the code should only touch parts that are attached behind an IR part. Do you have IR parts in your ship?

Edited by Rudolf Meier

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ettman said:

Haven't really used the forms at all before, but has anyone else run into the mod's parts not becoming symmetrical, even though all other parts can become symmetrical just fine? Running v3.1.11 of the mod and 1.12.5.3190 of KSP.

https://imgur.com/EgqJhxJ

Symmetry is a nightmare to handle in KSP. IR needs to do (fix) it with own functions in the editor (that's new now... early versions of IR didn't handle it at all). And it is likely, that those still have some bugs.

Can you send me an example-craft file and/or a description of what you do to get the error?

Just trying to place one of the robotic parts in symmetry mode always does this. IIRC the mod worked properly at least a few revisions ago, but I haven't been able to test them myself yet to see which one. Included is just a little craft I threw together. It has one rotatron set to symmetry. You can see one of them is on the craft, and the "mirrored" one is in front and above the cockpit a fair bit. If you move the primary one, the mirrored part moves "properly", but it's acting like there's some weird offset or something. Hope this helps before I head off for the night!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ZB9M7c9EnACAf0PHkbjL2kF5xPldYLn/view?usp=sharing

41 minutes ago, ettman said:

Just trying to place one of the robotic parts in symmetry mode always does this. IIRC the mod worked properly at least a few revisions ago, but I haven't been able to test them myself yet to see which one. Included is just a little craft I threw together. It has one rotatron set to symmetry. You can see one of them is on the craft, and the "mirrored" one is in front and above the cockpit a fair bit. If you move the primary one, the mirrored part moves "properly", but it's acting like there's some weird offset or something. Hope this helps before I head off for the night!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ZB9M7c9EnACAf0PHkbjL2kF5xPldYLn/view?usp=sharing

in some situations its not working correctly, that's true... it works better for rockets than for airplanes... for some reason fuselages and tanks attached to fuselages seem to disturb the placement of the parts

I will investigate this

These parts are completely breaking my aircraft hanger, at first it was just mirror not working
The vertical and x movement were switched around?
The movement is very complex to explain, its offset about 10m vertically but moves up and down depending on position and moves forward and backwards depending on the root parts position but again with a random offset depending on root part position, the rotation is also radially around a vertical point rather than horizontal like the actual part
then the other piece kept locking on to only one part and finally it got stuck to my mouse preventing me from clicking anything but the top right menu buttons
(positions also didn't move weirdly when moving the whole craft but then relocated when moved individually again)
https://imgur.com/a/lXve4XH album of a few different things
this only happened without radial symmetry and in the SPH 
mods list included my main save with about 70 mods but i also tried one with only a few visual mods and it persisted (version is 1.12.4 with newest ver of mod)
if you want any other info i can give it but this makes it near unusable for planes

Edited by A_Mango_Kabbab