Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

version 3.1.12 is online

it fixes the symmetry problems and improves some control group handling

The attachment, endeffector and grapple fixture classes are now no longer part of this mod and are now in their own mod (IR-ConnectionSystem). A description of this new mod will follow soon. In short: it offers what you always wanted: Code for Latching End Effectors and Grapple Fixtures which allow you to build an arm that can walk on a space station (connect side A, then connect side B and release side A... and so on) ... much like the Canadarm 2 or SSRMS.

Edited by Rudolf Meier

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2023 at 3:53 PM, Aebestach said:

Hi, when I open a saved vessel every time, the IR screen always looks like this, no surprise this should be a bug.

pbaVSaY.jpg

I fixed a lot of things that lead to this behavior already, but... seems there are still some in the code. I will look at it for the next update.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, krystalbeast said:

I'm wondering what can the octo-hand, grabber, magnet, thing, for rock climbing. what if it doesn't stick right away, what does that usually mean

I didn't put much effort in those parts in the last months. But an other mod that I build is dealing with it and sometime in the future I'm expecting to see some updates for those parts as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Suddenly IR connection system pops this message in log:

This is usually harmless, but indicates that the "IRConnectionSystem" plugin failed to load (location: "GameData\IRConnectionSystem\IRConnectionSystem.dll")
Stacktrace:
  at ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <15a1f1ead20a4e7995346c905233ca64>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0
[EXC 12:35:53.503] [ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading IRConnectionSystem, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.TypeLoadException: VTable setup of type IR_ConnectionSystem.Module.ModuleIRGF failed
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.RuntimeType.GetMethodsByName_native(System.RuntimeType,intptr,System.Reflection.BindingFlags,bool)
  at System.RuntimeType.GetMethodsByName (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Boolean ignoreCase, System.RuntimeType reflectedType) [0x0001b] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
  at System.RuntimeType.GetMethodCandidates (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.CallingConventions callConv, System.Type[] types, System.Boolean allowPrefixLookup) [0x00010] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
  at System.RuntimeType.GetMethodImpl (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Reflection.CallingConventions callConv, System.Type[] types, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers) [0x00000] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
  at System.Type.GetMethod (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingAttr) [0x0000e] in <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0
  at ModuleManager.PostPatchLoader+<Run>d__16.MoveNext () [0x00569] in <15a1f1ead20a4e7995346c905233ca64>:0

Is this something to worry or should i ignore it.

Found perpetrator,it was Docking Functions,but i dunno why because on my test installation it works just fine

Edited by Syczek

2 hours ago, Syczek said:

Suddenly IR connection system pops this message in log:

Found perpetrator,it was Docking Functions,but i dunno why because on my test installation it works just fine

I have recompiled the DockingFunctions shortly, might be because of that. But I've now also recompiled IR-ConnectionSystem... the new release is now online

I am returning to KSP again.  I am sticking with KSP 1 for now.  As I rebuild my install with the Mod's I liked I am not surprised to find that some of the parts I loved to use back in v0.25 to 0.9 didn't make it past version 1.0.   So here is my question:

Before 1.0,  IR had an expansion pack that included a few rover-wheels.   Specifically there was a wheel modeled after the Mars Curiosity rover that I used on several of my more successful Mun rovers.   I think the wheels were dropped due to the changes in Unity 5.   Now that IR is under active development again, has there been any effort to revive those wheels, or are they simply lost-to-time?

• 3 months later...

I'm having a problem with the Utilitron Grabber, clicking Activate on the PAW or in Part Commander doesn't seem to work, it clicks on and then back off again in a fraction of a second. Have a pretty huge modlist, so not sure if its a conflict of mods or an issue with the part itself. If you decide to troubleshoot it let me know what you need and where in the directory I can find it (logfiles, etc) and I can send them to you. 

1 hour ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

I'm having a problem with the Utilitron Grabber, ...

I did split up the mods. Infernal Robotics - Next is now robotics only. The connection and docking functionality is now in the IR ConnectionSystem (which is depends on the DockingFunctions mod). Maybe you don't have those mods installed?

(the reason for the split up was that I built the DockingPort - Next and the PayloadRetentionSystem - Next)

Tell me if it still doesn't work after installing or updating those mods.

(By the way, it should now offer more functionality like e.g. time warping while having grappled an object. This is very useful, if you are in space and you want to wait for the sun to rise again. ... I don't recommend to overuse this feature, but sometimes it is handy.)

I do have IR Connection Systems and Docking Functions installed.  Let me try installing your most recent update and see if that fixes things. 

EDIT: The IR-NXT patch released 5 hours ago does not fix the issue, but after some testing I've figured out what the issue is - the Grabber is shutting down due to lack of power. However, this is because it is not pulling power from battery, instead relying only on power being actively generated by the ship. I tested this by running the grabber on an RTG-powered vessel generating at least 3u/s of electric charge, it turned on and off just fine, but when I added a second grabber and tried running both at once (exceeding the power my ship was generating) they both shut down. This is despite having at least 1200 EC's stored in batteries. My previous ship design had batteries and solar panels, but the solar panels were insufficient to run the 4 grabbers I had installed.

So the question is, is this intended behavior for the grabber? Seems weird that it won't draw from batteries at all. 

Edited by Auriga_Nexus

5 hours ago, Auriga_Nexus said:

I do have IR Connection Systems and Docking Functions installed.  Let me try installing your most recent update and see if that fixes things. 

EDIT: The IR-NXT patch released 5 hours ago does not fix the issue, but after some testing I've figured out what the issue is - the Grabber is shutting down due to lack of power. However, this is because it is not pulling power from battery, instead relying only on power being actively generated by the ship. I tested this by running the grabber on an RTG-powered vessel generating at least 3u/s of electric charge, it turned on and off just fine, but when I added a second grabber and tried running both at once (exceeding the power my ship was generating) they both shut down. This is despite having at least 1200 EC's stored in batteries. My previous ship design had batteries and solar panels, but the solar panels were insufficient to run the 4 grabbers I had installed.

So the question is, is this intended behavior for the grabber? Seems weird that it won't draw from batteries at all. 

It's true, that's a bug (it seems to come from a change the made some time ago in ksp and... well, it seems I forgot to fix this in this mod, while I did fix it in almost every other mod I maintain)... I will have this fixed in the next release (maybe tomorrow).

2 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

It's true, that's a bug (it seems to come from a change the made some time ago in ksp and... well, it seems I forgot to fix this in this mod, while I did fix it in almost every other mod I maintain)... I will have this fixed in the next release (maybe tomorrow).

Cool! Thank you for your hard work. In the meantime the workaround is to make sure your ship is generating enough power to cover the Grabbers without needing to draw from Battery. My ship design is basically an autonomous section of a 2.5m form factor space station that undocks and goes to pick up station modules dropped off near the station to add to it. It has a couple of robotic arms with Grabbers to latch onto modules that don't have 2.5m docking ports on both sides such as airlocks, endcaps, and the ELP orbital pad. Since I have the Near Future suite of mods installed I just slapped a 0.625m miniature nuclear reactor and a radiator. Running the reactor at 25% generates 15 EC/s which should be plenty. 

EDIT: More details from my struggles... apparently it refuses to recognize certain power generators. I was able to get multiple Grabbers working with the stock RTG generators; however, when I tried using Near Future Electrical's nuclear reactors they had the same issues as they did with the batteries above despite generating twice as much power. Since I haven't gotten that far on the tech tree in my career save this has caused me to have to scrub a station construction mission and de-orbit two of my service orbiters for being, if you'll excuse my Gaelic, absolutely fecking useless. 

Finally, while they DO work in symmetry, they only work one at a time and you have to activate them via the PAW rather than through PartCommander. If you try to activate one in the PAW when another one is running it will do one of two things, either it will bug up and refuse to switch in the PAW, or it will activate but deactivate any others that are currently active. Which behavior is demonstrated depends on whether it was the one placed by the player or the ones placed automatically by the symmetry tool - the former seems to override the latter, so the directly placed Grabber will turn off the other symmetrical grabbers and run but must be turned off in order for the others to work. 

I've frankly given up on using IR for my station construction because its been too many bugs, I only have so much time for games this week before work and school start up again and my station construction has been delayed several play sessions due to having to troubleshoot this. I'll give the new patch a try in my test sandbox save once its been released, but I'm done dealing with it in my career save. 

Edited by Auriga_Nexus

• 5 weeks later...

@Rudolf Meier
Hi
Thank you for keeping this mod alive.

Playing on KSP 1.12.5 with InfernalRobotics_v3.1.17 only mod.
Some parts have minor issues (like this Foldatron basic):

https://imgur.com/a/ZWX3VYI

Wrong attachment node placement, wrong rotation trajectory, wrong part initial state.

Also, if I switch "Foldatron - Inset" to Rotor state and turn off Damping force (be setting it to 0) - the part never rotates. And at some small rotation values the part shakes and twitches like crazy.

12 hours ago, Horus said:

Some parts have minor issues (like this Foldatron basic):

thanks... I never really worked with them, that's why I never remarked this.

Almost everything of IR has been modified from original IR to IR Next... except the Foldatrons... until now... I will take this on my list and fix it in the next update.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

The hinges and joints don't work for me for some reason, when i activate them or try to change their position they will always get stuck in their current position and won't move, they only wobble up and down by 0.1 degrees but that's all.

If anyone knows why my hinges and joints always get stuck on their own, please let me know.

Edited by Person0977
Original post was not clear enough