Domino Demo Day

Domino Demo Day

This is a reboot of an earlier challenge by @DoctorDavinci. Build a domino run with at least 10 dominoes, and take a picture or video of the results! You can make the dominoes out of whatever parts you find convenient. DLC and mods are a-ok, in fact I'm very curious what people can do with them! Cheats are ok during setup, but please turn them off when the dominoes start falling. Also, any venue is fine for this, but KSC does make a nice backdrop for sense of scale.

Rube Goldberg machines are encouraged, but for thematic reasons the contraption must start and end with a domino. Feel free to take these words liberally. ^_^

Score:
Everyone gets 9,999 points- Hooray! It's really all about the spectacle.

mkAz58j.jpg

Edited by Cunjo Carl

11 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I've been wanting to make Rube Goldberg machines with the DLC, but I have far too many other "serious" side projects. I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for this wonderfully silly thing. :D

Thanks for checking in! I used to do mega projects too, they're definitely gratifying to finish- best of luck :) . Just thinking about it, though I liked big challenges too, I always learned a ton from doing these silly 1-2hr challenges. They're fun to read, too! I wonder what sorts of entries we'll get.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

Domino Demo Day

This is a reboot of an earlier challenge by @DoctorDavinci. Build a domino run with at least 10 dominoes, and take a picture or video of the results! You can make the dominoes out of whatever parts you find convenient. DLC and mods are a-ok, in fact I'm very curious what people can do with them! Cheats are ok during setup, but please turn them off when the dominoes start falling. Also, any venue is fine for this, but KSC does make a nice backdrop for sense of scale.

Rube Goldberg machines are encouraged, but for thematic reasons the contraption must start and end with a domino. Feel free to take these words liberally. ^_^

Score:

mkAz58j.jpg

How did you set that up so that they were not all locked to each other? Making History?

@Klapaucius (Edit: forgot to quote)

There's two tricks involved for this particular setup. It was a single craft from stock v1.0.5, I think.

The first trick was that each domino is actually two connected wing pieces rather than one long one. Single wing pieces would tend to glitch out circa v. 1.0.5, so using 2+ connected objects was the best approach for domino behavior. I suspect this is still the case, but don't know!

Then, you can attach the dominoes using some sort of decoupler and separate them! All of the decouplers need to be set to the same stage of course so they'll all seperate at once. I was running this on a toaster, so to avoid having spent decouplers hanging around and doubling the craft count I used pyrotechnic decoupling instead which fully destroyed the "decouplers" in the process. Each domino is connected to the next through basic fins. Each basic fin has a sepratron hovering beneath it. When you stage, the seperatron fires and destroys the connecting fins, then flies into the ground and blows up. It sounds tedious to set up, but because you can copy huge sections at a time, in practice it only took 20 minutes to go from initial concept to photo.

wBHsAUq.jpg

I think this is far from the end-all be-all of dominoes, which is why I made the challenge! Still, hopefully it makes for a good starting point.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 11:05 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

Domino Demo Day

Score:

mkAz58j.jpg

are space dominos allowed? e.g. adding rocket to the top of the frist domino to make it bump into the next domino

5 hours ago, lapis said:

are space dominos allowed? e.g. adding rocket to the top of the frist domino to make it bump into the next domino

Any venue's fine- good luck with your space dominoes! The dominoes do need to topple/push each other under their own physics though. So rocket dominoes are great, but a setup where you needed to stage for each domino wouldn't be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.