REMEMBER: A KSP Collaborative Game based on Forgotten Space Program (modpack finalized (mostly))

Mod decisions  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should we do a modification on the stock solar system?

• Use the stock system, possibly with planet addons
    • Use a modified stock system like JNSQ or 6.4x (this will likely be a bit more difficult)
    • Use a modded planetary system like Galileo, New Horizons, etc.
  2. 2. Which of the following rocket parts mods do you want the most?

• Bluedog Design Bureau (historical American rockets)
    • Tantares (Russian rockets)
    • Tundra Exploration (SpaceX)
    • reDIRECT (Space Launch System and Orion)

On 2/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Vagrant203 said:

FOXTROT bets, I want the pack!

@greenTurtle1134 proudly presents: The Pack!

Spoiler

Dependencies:

• Magicore
  • Toolbar Controller
  • Click Through Blocker
  • Kopernicus

Stage 1:

• KAS
  • KIS
  • FAR
  • KAC
  • KCT
  • CommNet Constellation
  • OPM
  • ScrapYard
  • USI-LS
  • SCANsat
  • Community Tech Tree
  • MechJeb
  • Final Frontier

Stage 2:

• DMagic Orbital Science
  • Near Future (Propulsion/Electrical/Solar/Construction/Spacecraft/Launch Vehicles)
  • Stockalike Station Parts
  • Kerbal Atomics
  • Heat Control
  • Cryogenic Engines
  • Bluedog Design Bureau
  • Restock/Restock+
  • MK4 Spaceplane Parts
  • Indicator Lights

Stage 3:

• Hullcam VDS
  • IndicatorLights
  • IndicatorLights Community Extensions

Notes:

• The 1.9 version for Near Future Technologies is back-compatible. Download the latest version.
  • If it's taking too much RAM, you can delete the IVAs folder in Stockalike Station Parts. It's optional
  • Modpack might change a little bit, but this is it for now
On 2/28/2020 at 11:58 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

hmmmm... 13 Mins 41 Secs.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to post the results of this. It took 5 minutes (but ate 28% of my battery)

Edited by greenTurtle1134

5 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

What are the stages for mentioned in The Pack?

My stages of testing; Stage One was the most likely to cause issues because they change game mechanics and/or add information that the Forget/REMEMBER program will have to store, while Stage Two is just parts. Therefore, I decided to finalize Stage One first. Stage One is complete; I might add more parts mods to Stage Two.

Tl;dr - it doesn't matter

Just now, greenTurtle1134 said:

My stages of testing; Stage One was the most likely to cause issues because they change game mechanics and/or add information that the Forget/REMEMBER program will have to store, while Stage Two is just parts.

It makes sense to portion them into smaller bits. For motivation, I guess? I dunno. No idea why, but it always seems better when split up into smaller parts.

1 minute ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Therefore, I decided to finalize Stage One first. Stage One is complete; I might add more parts mods to Stage Two.

like Hullcam? pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

2 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Tl;dr - it doesn't matter

It does. Stage 1 contains finicky mods that could break the game, and Stage 2 contains your everyday average stuff. This could help us determine what went wrong when troubleshooting faster.

It's like ordering mods from Safest to Most Dangerous. The Most Dangerous ones are obviously the firsts to look into, which could help us solve problems faster.

1 hour ago, Vagrant203 said:

Near Future Aeronautics? Maybe Deep Freeze as well?

Does NFA work on 1.8? It was last updated for 1.6 and the source code was lost, so it likely won't be updated for later versions. That's why I'm excluding it.

DeepFreeze would add another layer of complexity to the Kerbal copying aspect as I'd have to test where Kerbal names are stored in a DeepFreeze part and such. It'd just be a hassle to include. We can drop it in later if we really need it.

42 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

I feel you. Sometimes the computer just... refuses to work.

Close everything else and set battery mode to max performance, maybe? That might only apply to Windows.

Nope.

Trying to trim it down just so I can play, lots of cool stuff in the list so picking what to drop is a bit difficult. Fact is though, going from fifteen add-ons to forty-foxtrot-six is just too much for this potato.

11 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

I also think OPM is a bad idea, some computers are just too potato-like. I think stock planets will be fine.

Instead replace the extra memory space with Hullcam?

I doubt that OPM is even the most memory-draining thing on the list - ALL THE NEAR FUTURE probably is. Maybe I should trim out everything except Electrical and Propulsion (even Spacecraft isn't really necessary because BDB already has so much)

1 hour ago, Vagrant203 said:

Trying to trim it down just so I can play, lots of cool stuff in the list so picking what to drop is a bit difficult. Fact is though, going from fifteen add-ons to forty-foxtrot-six is just too much for this potato.

Everyone has to have the same mods, though, so if you can't run it we all need to slim down the modpack.

Just thought of something. Are you running the 64 bit version of KSP? The 32 bit version can't install many mods because it's limited to using about 4Gb of RAM; after that it won't load, because there's just not enough memory to store the mods

Edited by greenTurtle1134

23 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

I doubt that OPM is even the most memory-draining thing on the list - ALL THE NEAR FUTURE probably is. Maybe I should trim out everything except Electrical and Propulsion (even Spacecraft isn't really necessary because BDB already has so much)

Ok, but BDB? You sure? That's a lot of parts and extra stuff. I'm good with cutting down on Near Future stuff though. I really hope we keep Solar though.

24 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Everyone has to have the same mods, though, so if you can't run it we all need to slim down the modpack.

Maybe the mod pack should be really bare bones.

25 minutes ago, greenTurtle1134 said:

Just thought of something. Are you running the 64 bit version of KSP? The 32 bit version can't install many mods because it's limited to using about 4Gb of RAM; after that it won't load, because there's just not enough memory to store the mods

64bit for me.

Ok, I have a sneaking suspicion there's some weirdness going on with ReStock. I removed most of the new mods and a few I had that were already working and it wouldn't foxtrot start, just stayed on initial loading.

Just ran a control group experiment; full stock KSP is now starting. Next I'll throw ReStock in and see what happens.

Science! *he says with fake enthusiasm*

Just now, Vagrant203 said:

Ok, I have a sneaking suspicion there's some weirdness going on with ReStock. I removed most of the new mods and a few I had that were already working and it wouldn't foxtrot start, just stayed on initial loading.

Just ran a control group experiment; full stock KSP is now starting. Next I'll throw ReStock in and see what happens.

I eagerly await the results of this science.

2 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

Ok, but BDB? You sure? That's a lot of parts and extra stuff. I'm good with cutting down on Near Future stuff though. I really hope we keep Solar though.

See, part of the problem is that I haven't been able to get a stable potential player base. If you look back through the thread, it seemed that people wanted BDB in December.

I'm frankly good with the pack as it is, but I don't want to exclude people with slower computers.

31 minutes ago, Vagrant203 said:

3 minutes ago, Vagrant203 said:

Good/bad news. ReStock works. Which means I have no idea what is the problem.

Adding ReStock Plus and USI-LS now. LS was working before these shenanigans, and Plus seems like a logical next step.

Okay, here's another possibility - some of the mods bundle different versions of ModuleManager. After installing your mods, go into your GameData folder and see if there's multiple copies of the ModuleManager .dll there. If so, delete all except the latest version (4.1.3)

On 2/29/2020 at 5:07 PM, greenTurtle1134 said:

delete all except the latest version (4.1.3)

MM documentation seemed to indicate that wouldn't be an issue (at least as far as I understood.) Nevertheless, I'll track that as Science! continues.

Future reference: I'll be consolidating results below. 

Spoiler

Test 2: ReStock(Plus), USI-LS. No change, 247 MM patches

Test 3: previous mods, Kopernicus, OPM. 282 MM patches, Kopernicus message saying incompatible with this version (1.9.1), negative load at 1744 (when researcher steps outside for some fresh carcinogens), positive at 1755 (returned from break)

Test 3b: science career. Gameplay nominal, ReStock Plus is nice, mouse input lag after entering research but this is familiar potato behavior

Test 4a: previous, dependencies list, SCANsat, MechJeb, Community Tech Tree, Final Frontier. (Whoops, forgot AVC til after load started.) 335 MM patches, test aborted midrun to add two mods

Test 4b: 4a+KSP-AVC, Near Future Exploration (drones are a kerman's best friend). NFeX took a bit more time to unzip before install (textures? Discuss downsizing textures). 19 add-ons from AVC readout, 435 MM patches (100 more than 4a, nearly one third of previous number!). Precise times not noted but feels significantly longer. Input lag and (Not Responding) message at "Expansion Loading Complete", window minimized in hope of reducing processing strain (effective at times predating tests). Carcinogen break at 2031hrs, left minimized, still displays (Not Responding). Return at 2054, load successful.

4c: continue 3b career. Turned entire computer down to 1024*768 in response to extended loading times. Actual gameplay nominal

5a: previous mods, KIS, KAS, BDB, Stockalike Stations, ForScience, ScienceAlert. Beginning load at 0109hr. 3806 MM patches (jfc) AVC reports 25 total add-ons. 0146hr: STILL. FOXTROT. LOADING. 0246: Loading bar full. Windows hourglass replaces KSP cursor, suggesting another (Not Responding) incident. 0251: crash, low on memory message.

Test 5b: 5a minus Station Parts IVAs. Begun approx. 2013hr. MM and AVC unchanged. Total computer lockup at 2054.

5c: 5a, Station Parts completely removed. 2058hr start. 3629 MM patches, AVC reports 24 add-ons. Stepping away approx 2123 for carcinogens and walking the dog. Return 2137: low memory error.

5d: 5c, removing BDB. Beginning 2140. AVC reports 23, 453 MM patches. 2208: (Not Responding) moment after loading bar filled, alt-tabbed out to hopefully kick something into place. 2211: test termination

Revalidation through Steam, reverting to 1.8.1

6a: 5d reverted to 1.8.1; begun 2221. AVC and MM unchanged from 5d. Results identical, terminated 2246

6b: 6a minus NFeX (I'm not happy about it either). Begun 2250. AVC: 21. MM: 353. 2257: carcinogens 2332: loading still 2343: another low memory error. What the FOXTROT. I feel like crying, honestly, this is such cow manure.

Latest: Test 6b. Testing suspended indefinitely.

Edited by Vagrant203

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.