Will jet and chemical engines look nice

Chemical rocket engines in KSP are generally ugly. 

The rapier doesn't look like a jet engine and the Mainsail is looks like plastic.

from the trailers the high tech rockets look amazing so I hope to see that the rocket engines look good as well and aren't painted with black and yellow stripes.

If you have any chemical or jet engine pictures from KSP2 I would like to see them.

Rocket-chemical engines are useless everywhere, except for one thing - to lift something into orbit. Therefore, 1 universal chemical rocket engine running on hydrogen \ methane (with the ability to scale) will be enough.

Edited by OOM

2 hours ago, OOM said:

Rocket-chemical engines are useless everywhere, except for one thing - to lift something into orbit. Therefore, 1 universal chemical rocket engine running on hydrogen \ methane (with the ability to scale) will be enough.

true maybe some procedural engine bells

On 8/29/2019 at 4:06 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

Chemical rocket engines in KSP are generally ugly. 

The rapier doesn't look like a jet engine and the Mainsail is looks like plastic.

from the trailers the high tech rockets look amazing so I hope to see that the rocket engines look good as well and aren't painted with black and yellow stripes.

If you have any chemical or jet engine pictures from KSP2 I would like to see them.

I don't think such pictures have been released publicly, but we got to see some sample pictures during the demos at Star Theory on Wednesday, and they're all gorgeous. They showed us LV-N, Reliant, Swivel, Terrier, Poodle.

Everything is being created from scratch. All new models for everything. And they're beautiful.

4 hours ago, Snark said:

Poodle.

So the old Poodle shown in the cinematic trailer was not the final game asset, are you confirming that?

Because the trailer and the pre-alpha shows old parts with old models and just new textures, will those be different too?

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Master39 said:

Because the trailer and the pre-alpha shows old parts with old models and just new textures, will those be different too?

Let's be very clear here, "old models and just new textures" is very definitely not what they're doing.  These are new models.  Everything's being re-done from scratch.

That said, they want players who are familiar with KSP 1 to still be able to recognize the parts-- the stock parts are mostly all still there, and Star Theory doesn't want people to get too disoriented with newness-for-the-sake-of-newness.

So for the stock parts that they're carrying forward to KSP2, they've deliberately made the models recognizably similar to the KSP 1 versions... just a whole lot prettier and with a new style, is all.  They showed us pics of their redone LV-N, and Swivel, and Reliant, and Terrier, and Poodle.  They were all recognizably themselves... but they were just as clearly brand-new models with plenty of additional physical detail.

Here's a funny story about the "old Poodle" (they were a bit sheepish about that):

They've been working on this game for a long time.  No word on exactly how long, but one guy when he was introducing himself to us said "I haven't been on the project long, only about a year", which means it's been secretly under development for considerably more than a year now-- i.e. since long before the 1.6 update that changed the Poodle's design in KSP 1.

So apparently what happened with the Poodle was, somehow the fact that Squad was planning to re-do the Poodle for KSP 1.6 got lost in the shuffle and didn't get communicated to them.  So when they were re-doing all these models from scratch, and designing them to somewhat follow the general lines of their predecessors... they based their re-done, fancy, pretty Poodle on the original Poodle model before the 1.6 update.

So that's what's going on there.  ;)  No word on what the Poodle will actually look like by the time they ship, but that's the story of the images you've seen thus far.

2 minutes ago, Snark said:

Let's be very clear here, "old models and just new textures" is very definitely not what they're doing.  These are new models. 

Sorry, wrong wording from my side, I was talking about the appearance, not the "model file", I made a distinction between model and texture because in the trailer it changes the texture between the orbit and the surace.

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

That said, they want players who are familiar with KSP 1 to still be able to recognize the parts-- the stock parts are mostly all still there, and Star Theory doesn't want people to get too disoriented with newness-for-the-sake-of-newness.

So for the stock parts that they're carrying forward to KSP2, they've deliberately made the models recognizably similar to the KSP 1 versions... just a whole lot prettier and with a new style, is all. 

This is all I needed to know, the old Poodle design is not my favorite but this underlines way more mindfulness about the artistic style of the game than the original ever had.

4 minutes ago, Master39 said:

in the trailer it changes the texture between the orbit and the surace.

The trailer was made by artists for artistic effect, not to be an exact representation of the game.  There is a lot more wrong with the trailer, such as the orientation of the planets, etc

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The trailer was made by artists for artistic effect, not to be an exact representation of the game.  There is a lot more wrong with the trailer, such as the orientation of the planets, etc

I was not complaining, I just thought it was part of the "every veichle has a different color scheme" that's in the trailer and so a possible hint to a possible color editor.

More details in the specific topic: 

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I was not complaining, I just thought it was part of the "every veichle has a different color scheme" that's in the trailer and so a possible hint to a possible color editor.

Oh, they definitely have customizable colors.  That's real.

As LGG said, the cinematic was put together by an artist and isn't actual gameplay... but everything in the cinematic is using actual game art assets.  That's really what things look like (at least so far), and yes, they can have those colors.

My understanding is that pretty much every part will allow you to pick a primary and secondary color, so you can really go to town on your color schemes.

37 minutes ago, Snark said:

Let's be very clear here, "old models and just new textures" is very definitely not what they're doing.  These are new models.  Everything's being re-done from scratch.

So for the stock parts that they're carrying forward to KSP2, they've deliberately made the models recognizably similar to the KSP 1 versions... just a whole lot prettier and with a new style, is all.  They showed us pics of their redone LV-N, and Swivel, and Reliant, and Terrier, and Poodle.  They were all recognizably themselves... but they were just as clearly brand-new models with plenty of additional physical detail.

Here's a funny story about the "old Poodle" (they were a bit sheepish about that):

They've been working on this game for a long time.  No word on exactly how long, but one guy when he was introducing himself to us said "I haven't been on the project long, only about a year", which means it's been secretly under development for considerably more than a year now-- i.e. since long before the 1.6 update that changed the Poodle's design in KSP 1.

So apparently what happened with the Poodle was, somehow the fact that Squad was planning to re-do the Poodle for KSP 1.6 got lost in the shuffle and didn't get communicated to them.  So when they were re-doing all these models from scratch, and designing them to somewhat follow the general lines of their predecessors... they based their re-done, fancy, pretty Poodle on the original Poodle model before the 1.6 update.

So that's what's going on there.  ;)  No word on what the Poodle will actually look like by the time they ship, but that's the story of the images you've seen thus far.

Are the new rockets more realistic, for example realistic piping and exposed machinery apposed to it all being covered up in a weird box

3 minutes ago, Snark said:

Oh, they definitely have customizable colors.  That's real.

My replies don't reflect the fact that I'm basically jumping around the room at every bit of information you guys confirm to be true.

Thank you for the coverage.

45 minutes ago, Snark said:

I kinda hope that because they already rebuilt the old design of the poodle that they decide to keep it along side the newer redesign from KSP1, Maybe just rename one of them. Scott manly suggested calling one of them the Laberdoodle, and I'm on board with that.

12 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Are the new rockets more realistic, for example realistic piping and exposed machinery apposed to it all being covered up in a weird box

I'd say the answer is basically "yes"... but bear in mind that I'm not a "looks like real NASA engine" purist and am the sort of person who's just happy if it "looks rockety".  There's definitely a lot more detail and greebles and things-- it's not the "big plastic box" look of a lot of the stock KSP 1 engines.

And they're not just arbitrarily throwing pipes and ductwork together, they're putting thought into it.  They were showing us a close-up of one of the new metallic-hydrogen engines, and pointing out all the various bits on it and what those parts do.  "well, it generates a ton of heat so it's got all these radiators here, and this is the primary magnetic coil for focusing the plasma stream there," etc.  I may be misquoting them so please don't jump all over them if I've got this example wrong, I'm just trying to give a feel for the general level of thoughtfulness that they're putting into it.

15 minutes ago, Master39 said:

My replies don't reflect the fact that I'm basically jumping around the room at every bit of information you guys confirm to be true.

Yeah, me too, friend.  :)

This is basically what happens when you put a total KSP fanboi in charge of the design for KSP2.  Nate Simpson is our kinda people.  From this article:

"I've been playing this game since 2012, version 0.15," Simpson said, adding he was so excited about it, he emailed his brother and gifted him a copy. "After I played the game, I was like, you gotta play this. This is the best thing in the universe."

And he's still like that.  It's totally obvious if you spend even five minutes talking with him face to face.  He adores this game and is super excited to be working on the sequel.  And he really cares about the players because he is one.

3 minutes ago, Snark said:

I'd say the answer is basically "yes"... but bear in mind that I'm not a "looks like real NASA engine" purist and am the sort of person who's just happy if it "looks rockety".  There's definitely a lot more detail and greebles and things-- it's not the "big plastic box" look of a lot of the stock KSP 1 engines.

And they're not just arbitrarily throwing pipes and ductwork together, they're putting thought into it.  They were showing us a close-up of one of the new metallic-hydrogen engines, and pointing out all the various bits on it and what those parts do.  "well, it generates a ton of heat so it's got all these radiators here, and this is the primary magnetic coil for focusing the plasma stream there," etc.  I may be misquoting them so please don't jump all over them if I've got this example wrong, I'm just trying to give a feel for the general level of thoughtfulness that they're putting into it.

Yeah, me too, friend.  :)

This is basically what happens when you put a total KSP fanboi in charge of the design for KSP2.  Nate Simpson is our kinda people.  From this article:

And he's still like that.  It's totally obvious if you spend even five minutes talking with him face to face.  He adores this game and is super excited to be working on the sequel.  And he really cares about the players because he is one.

that's perfect, I have been waiting to see engines with turbopumps and whatnot, also if you are still able to contact the KSP2 devs can you ask them if they can incorporate a turbopump spin up noise on engine ignition.

You can hear it here