Star Wars: The Skywalker of Skywalker Skywalker

Superfluous J

The story was decent and the movie was good. But they essentially compressed an entire trilogy of plot into one movie. If the whole trilogy essentially had the same plot, and there was some stuff fleshed out, the whole trilogy would’ve been pretty good. 

Coming to it after having enjoyed The Last Jedi and not having been very impressed by the trailers, which seemed to be operating on a ‘drench them in fan service and hope we avoid another TLJ backlash’ basis.

Am going to see it anyway because I do agree that squaring the first two films and ending the story in a coherent way looks pretty impossible, so I’m curious to see what they came up with.

Spoiler

DEWIT

I can't believe how many prequel memes made it through. All that's left is for Obi Wan to say 'Hello There!' in his series.

I just saw it. That was intense. It was like Super-Star Wars. Also

Spoiler

they got like the whole Jedi Council talking to Rey! Plus Ahsoka!

And Han is a force ghost now? Or just a regular ghost?

Overall my reaction is: whOoOOoOOOoOoOoAaaa! 

Spoiler

And I'm so glad they didn't kill Chewie or 3PO!

Spoiler

Horseback riding on a Star Destroyer was the best.

Spoiler

The one thing I still really don't understand is the family dynamic between Rey and our boy Sheev the Senate. She's his granddaughter, through...two parents, neither of whom are Anakin? That makes her like, Luke and Leia's half-sister or something? Did Palpy create someone else like Anakin? Why, and who? Maybe a backup in case Vader didn't work out? When? 

Spoiler

What I do know is that whatever it is, it definitely makes her kissing Ben weird.

And remember how I said I wanted to see like 30 of Palpatine in the same room? Well 

Spoiler

I'm not sure who all those chanting people were since we didn't see their faces, but I'd like to think that they were just thousands of him, all cheering on the OG.

I think the trilogy is redeemed, at least as much as it can be.

Spoiler

Too bad Jar Jar didn't reveal himself as the true Sith lord out of nowhere, would've been a wild ride. I jest.

One final thought:

GLaDLPATINE

PALPaTOS

Edited by cubinator

I did like this movie, and there were plenty of things it did very well (which I won’t do into detail on because spoilers), but at the same time it feels like it had several missed opportunities. The biggest thing I have against TRoS isn’t the movie’s fault; it’s how the film makes it very obvious that there was no coherent vision for the Sequel Trilogy and JJ really wanted to get out the story he wanted to tell. This can be seen with the pacing issues and several of the creative choices. 

Did this impact my enjoyment of the movie? No, not really, and I don’t want it too; there were still parts of TRoS that blew me away, and it had a ton of game-changing lore. But at the same time I can’t not see how this shows the clash of vision between JJ and Rian Johnson. 

Maybe this can all be fixed up with whatever new animated series Filoni has in store. 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, cubinator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

DEWIT

I can't believe how many prequel memes made it through. All that's left is for Obi Wan to say 'Hello There!' in his series.

I just saw it. That was intense. It was like Super-Star Wars. Also

Reveal hidden contents

they got like the whole Jedi Council talking to Rey! Plus Ahsoka!

And Han is a force ghost now? Or just a regular ghost?

Overall my reaction is: whOoOOoOOOoOoOoAaaa! 

Reveal hidden contents

And I'm so glad they didn't kill Chewie or 3PO!

Reveal hidden contents

Horseback riding on a Star Destroyer was the best.

Hide contents

The one thing I still really don't understand is the family dynamic between Rey and our boy Sheev the Senate. She's his granddaughter, through...two parents, neither of whom are Anakin? That makes her like, Luke and Leia's half-sister or something? Did Palpy create someone else like Anakin? Why, and who? Maybe a backup in case Vader didn't work out? When? 

Reveal hidden contents

What I do know is that whatever it is, it definitely makes her kissing Ben weird.

And remember how I said I wanted to see like 30 of Palpatine in the same room? Well 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure who all those chanting people were since we didn't see their faces, but I'd like to think that they were just thousands of him, all cheering on the OG.

I think the trilogy is redeemed, at least as much as it can be.

Reveal hidden contents

Too bad Jar Jar didn't reveal himself as the true Sith lord out of nowhere, would've been a wild ride. I jest.

One final thought:

GLaDLPATINE

PALPaTOS

Spoiler

Han wasn't a Force ghost, Ben was just imagining him in his head. Though the Force/Leia could have been involved, also.

And according to Wookieepedia (as it stands right now), Palpatine had a son, who was Rey's father. Her mother isn't given a name or origin, but isn't linked to anyone we know. Who Palp's baby mama was isn't given, but lets face it, to have a kid with him, she was either just as Dark Side as him, or was disappeared when she was no longer of use.

53 minutes ago, Treveli said:
  Hide contents

And according to Wookieepedia (as it stands right now), Palpatine had a son, who was Rey's father. Her mother isn't given a name or origin, but isn't linked to anyone we know. Who Palp's baby mama was isn't given, but lets face it, to have a kid with him, she was either just as Dark Side as him, or was disappeared when she was no longer of use.

Spoiler

I see. It would have been nice to hear just a tiny bit more in the movie about Palps being a dad...

In any case, Rey and Ben are Force-cousins.

"Two who are one..." Almost sounds like they split while messing around with a strange crystal and some trinary star!

Spoiler

Also, hang on a minute. Did anybody even lose an arm? I thought for sure either Rey or Kylo would get a hand cut off on the Death Star. This is outrageous.

Edited by cubinator

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Treveli said:

Unless Rey's father is simultaneously Palp's brother. But forum rules are stopping from further details.

Spoiler

New ideas that I overlooked.

1. Rey's father is a clone son of Palp (like Boba is of Jango).

2. He was created by Palp through the Force. From the Darth Plagueis novel, its suggested this is how Anakin was conceived, from Plagueis and his apprentice, Palpatine, working through the Force.

Both could have been ideas by Palp to create a vessel for him to pass his spirit or powers into, his method for immortality. Fits in with him from the Dark Empire comics. Then the son goes rogue, Papa Palp 'dies' at Endor, his plans get FUBARed, and we end up with Rey abandoned on Jakku.

I expect a novel or comic on Palps son. That kinda what story has to be covered.

Edited by Treveli

Looking back on the books, novels, and TV series of the new canon, there was a lot of foreshadowing for Palpatine’s return. Spoilers for TRoS, the Aftermath Trilogy, Star Wars Rebels, and Thrawn follow, along with a ton of lore-dumping. 

Spoiler

- In the Aftermath Trilogy, it is revealed that Palpatine has a contingency plan in the event of his death. If he were to die, the Empire would be destroyed from within, culling the weak and punishing those who let him fail. A select few worthy survivors — including Hux and his father — would be sent into the Unknown Regions to rebuild the Empire. This group, led by Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, became the First Order.

- The Aftermath Trilogy also introduced a group of Dark Side fanatics called the Acolytes of the Beyond, who essentially worshipped the Sith and were led by one of Palpatine’s advisors. It has been confirmed that they were involved with or formed the Sith Eternal, Palpatine’s group of cultists in TRoS.

- In Aftermath: Life Debt, Sloane is searching through the Imperial archives and finds that up to 25% of the Empire’s Star Destroyers have vanished without a trace. Some of those were hidden in nebulas and joined the Imperial fleet at Jakku, but it’s plausible others went to the construction of the Sith Fleet on Exegol.

- Yupe Tashu, one of Palpatine’s advisors who led the Acolytes of the Beyond, kept mentioning that the former Emperor was searching for the source of the Dark Side in the Unknown Regions. It looks like that must’ve been Exegol.

- Palpatine’s protege was a man from Jakku named Gallius Rax. In several flashback scenes, we see Palpatine planning for his Contingency as early as a few years after The Phantom Menace, and other meetings during the Clone Wars and prior to the Battle of Endor. Palpatine says that Jakku is very important to his plans and is confident he will win regardless of the outcome at Endor. Those could be attributed to the Battle of Jakku and his overconfidence, but now we know Rey — also from Jakku — was crucial to the revival of his Empire. That, and it now seems likely he had the Final Order and the Sith Fleet as his backup-backup-backup plan for decades.

- In the novel Thrawn, the Grand Admiral mentions a source of evil in the Unknown Regions, which now seems to be Exegol and its strong affiliation with the Dark Side.

- Palpatine kept Thrawn around to learn more about the Unknown Regions. The maps and navigation he created were used for the survivors of Jakku to enter the UR, and I assume they were also going to be used to navigate the Sith Fleet into the known galaxy.

- In Star Wars Rebels, it is revealed Palpatine was trying to gain access to an entry point to the World Between Worlds on Lothal. It is another plane of existence with pathways between all of time and space (and probably connects to Force nexuses and temples), and whoever controlled it could control the Universe. Palpatine himself calls it “a conduit between the living and the dead”. He was probably going to use it to expand his Empire and as a way to cheat death. This didn’t work out, since the access point on Lothal was closed, and only users of the Light Side of the Force could open any others.

- One of Palpatine’s advisors, Minister Hayden, was overseeing the private military operation to uncover the WBW access point. He may have been in-league with Palpatine and Tashu in what would become the Sith Eternal and the Final Order. I think it’s quite likely Palpatine planned to use the WBW for his Final Order to conquer the entire galaxy in a very, very short amount of time.

- During Snoke’s first scene in The Force Awakens, the same music during the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise scene is used. I recall several people using this as evidence that Snoke was Plagueis, but now that we know Snoke was created by Palpatine who references that scene from RoTS, it may have been a bit of foreshadowing to The Rise of Skywalker. 

The very end of the movie (with the Tattooine twin suns in the desert) kinda has finished replacing the obsolete Luke Skywalker from A New Hope, with the modern, proper, and relevant Luciana Skywalker.

Rey is new Luke.

Still can't get, when Immortan Palp pulls the cruisers with the Force lightnings, why do the cruisers get pulled down, rather than Palp gets pulled up? Is he more massive than the cruisers?

Jabba. Just where?
We must know the drama of his life, understand and forgive him, instead of branding him as a heartless villain.
And Sarlacc. What about that poor innocent piece of wild nature? Who is taking care about it when Jabba has tragically gone?
As there is miniyoda, there should be minijabba with a larva of sarlacc, funny and nice. In a pot, fed with crickets or so.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

As there is miniyoda, there should be minijabba with a larva of sarlacc, funny and nice. In a pot, fed with crickets or so.

We've already seen Jabba's kid get taken care of by Ahsoka and Anakin during the Clone Wars. Presumably he may still be around somewhere.

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Still can't get, when Immortan Palp pulls the cruisers with the Force lightnings, why do the cruisers get pulled down, rather than Palp gets pulled up? Is he more massive than the cruisers?

He doesn't really pull on them, he just disables them with the lightning and lets gravity do the rest.

17 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's basically impossible to answer but if you've seen the other 8 movies and still want to watch this even after the last one, then I say yes.

Well yes, I’ve seen the others so ok

6 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

You must. Otherwise you may keep suffering from doubts.

At last, it's not worse than other SW (pr/s)equels.

Well that’s done. Ima go see it

2 hours ago, tater said:

We're going to see it in about an hour, might as well, since I've seen most of them (I can happily say I only saw the first prequel, and it was so awful I refused to see the other 2, ever).

3 was better than 7 and 8. I'm still ruminating on 9.  2 is probably the worst of the bunch.

58 minutes ago, tater said:

2 was worse that jar jar fest? I'm not sure that's possible.

I'm my opinion of course. Like the Ewoks, if you remove Jar Jar and some other BS from the movie there's a coherent plot and things make sense and it's a decent setup to the first trilogy.

The second one... just exists as a movie.

29 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm my opinion of course. Like the Ewoks, if you remove Jar Jar and some other BS from the movie there's a coherent plot and things make sense and it's a decent setup to the first trilogy.

The second one... just exists as a movie.

Wouldn't know, never saw it. Never will, either.

37 minutes ago, tater said:

Wouldn't know, never saw it. Never will, either.

By no means am I trying to convince you to.

But just so you know what you're missing...

They stop an assassin who was using poison, and can't identify where the poison came from. So, they take it to a 50's diner and the owner instantly knows the name of the planet it came from and that the beings on that planet are cloners.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.