How far can you get useing 2 parts

ffx

Welcome to the forum. I am no moderator here, but I have been around long enough to know that when submitting a challenge it is requested that you also submit your own entry, in part to prove that you have thought it through fully. In this case, and I am willing to be corrected here, I can only see two broad ways of even attempting this challenge: a capsule and a twin boar, which *I think* should have enough dV to get into orbit, or a capsule and an SRB (where bigger = better). Alternatively, though possibly straining against your first rule, a capsule and a landing leg can produce a kraken-drive thrust which, if used correctly, generate infinite dV (controllable only until the battery runs out).

Then we get to the second issue: by what measure are we testing "far": is it the distance travelled via the F3 menu, in which case a quick time warp of an orbit will increase the distance travelled indefinitely, or if it is an orbit is it defined by its circumference, or maximum distance from launch site? By what measure do you compare different orbits: is reaching Duna further or less far than reaching Eve, or (if you have the slingshot expertise) Jool/Laythe? Or is an un-controlled trajectory out of the Kerbol system "further"? Who wins if two submissions both achieve an extra-Kerbol trajectory?

It would be great if you can offer a little more guidance on your thinking.

Ok, I'll get us started: 27.5 Gm

E6j4iEh.png

Vessel was a twin boar and the OKTO2 probe core, pointing straight up, and then time warping.

EDIT: 33 Gm, with a more efficient launch time which maximises the Ap and maintains Kerbin orbit Pe.

Edited by dnbattley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/31/2020 at 2:32 AM, kspnerd122 said:

LOL NOOBS, I GOT TO MINMUS USING The twin boar(NOT HARD CHALLENGE)

i even docked it to my station in minmal orbit

How do you dock with two parts? You need at least the engine, a capsule and a docking port, which is three parts as the bare minimum.

also don’t go around making fun of people just because you think their creations are inferior.

Edited by mabdi36

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.