[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Those context menu entries are provided for debugging and aren't displayed unless you've specifically enabled them in your FAR settings. For diagnostic output, I like to see the internal name in the debugging display as a reminder of what it's called if I'm working on something that needs to refer to it by name.

I have always seen context menu entries and never even knew FAR had debugging options: how should I disable the entries?

-Duxwing

KSP (and FAR by extension) has no winds at any altitude or position, so no there is no difference in surface relative speed flying east or west.

I have always seen context menu entries and never even knew FAR had debugging options: how should I disable the entries?

In the space center scene you can change global FAR options. It should be in there

I get that little thing as well. I just ignore it as it doesn't mean anything. I'm guessing it's meant for the deadly reentry mod.

No, it's FAR. It tells you whether a part is considered as being shielded by a cargo bay or payload fairing. Of course this will affect DRE too...

WHat's the best way to gain Pitch authority on a space shuttle replica? I find the more stable my craft is EI COL far behind the COM the control surfaces don't do much but it I bring the COL closer to the COM it dosent always improve it.. I'm not sure what the rules are for better pitch control... If you want a reference of what I'm building Look in the previous pages of this thread. I posted screenshots and also for the record now my AOA for lift is now 15 Deg instead if 22... I added more lift but lost Pitch control and stability at mach.

One question, i tested it several times and it seems that it does not matter for drag if air intakes are open or closed while using FAR. Is this intended or a bug?

I tested it with the FAR airstats window opened, and the values for BC and Cd didnt changed at all (I guess Reference Area didnt changed too). The speed or acceleration didnt changed too.

Well, all your pitch derivatives are now the right colour at landing speed, so you *should* have control - try it at some other speed & alt combos. Also empty the tanks...
Yea I got pitch authority by pure luck... I was trying to add more lift to get 10 Deg AOA @ 100 MS ... I'm having a hard time to find that extra 5 AOA of lift with out my wings looking To big....

@Dermeister, you can improve sideslip problems with slightly dihedral main wings and/or slightly larger vertical surface on tail.

If anyone interested, I have made 0.90 version of my heavy SSTO lifter. It is not compleately "green" on low speeds but it is controlable.

Here is galery from test flights. Link for craft file and more info is in signature for anyone interested.

SpacePlane S3 B9 B9PW - test flight to orbit with 367.4t of payload.

Require mods: FAR, B9, B9 procedural wings, Adjustable landing gears.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I feel that you have way too much wing for that cargo:

KSP 0.23.5, FAR 0.13.smth

Maybe trimming the wings to make it easier to takeoff could help.

Can't trim main wing much, plane would be unstable at high speeds/altitudes. Also new B9 procedural wings can hold fuel, so it is not absolute dead weight.

I have made tradeoff - more wing surfaces over engine thrust/weight. You can see on pictures that L/D*V efficiency is quite well on all speeds/altitudes.

Most effective near 1 mach @ 10 km, like most planes, and that number is over 6k in occasions.

Could be that I'm too stubborn, or not compleatly wrong about using large wings on my crafts. People complaning to me about that all times :)

Can't trim main wing much, plane would be unstable at high speeds/altitudes. Also new B9 procedural wings can hold fuel, so it is not absolute dead weight.

I have made tradeoff - more wing surfaces over engine thrust/weight. You can see on pictures that L/D*V efficiency is quite well on all speeds/altitudes.

Most effective near 1 mach @ 10 km, like most planes, and that number is over 6k in occasions.

Could be that I'm too stubborn, or not compleatly wrong about using large wings on my crafts. People complaning to me about that all times :)

I wish B9 procedural wings could hold fuel.

P.S guys is it just me or does the Tip of the wing have a Huge effect on lift? I just rounded off my wing tips and I gained about 1.5 Degrees more of lift by simply making the tip round O_O

Edited by Dermeister

I wish B9 procedural wings could hold fuel.

P.S guys is it just me or does the Tip of the wing have a Huge effect on lift? I just rounded off my wing tips and I gained about 1.5 Degrees more of lift by simply making the tip round O_O

Yes, in latest update B9 procedural wing CAN hold fuel. I think that you misread my post :)

And, yes wing tips have huge effect on lift, it is common practice in RL to have wingtips instead large wingspan. Wingtips also helps with roll and sideslip stabilization.

I copy my own post cause it got lost i guess.

One question, i tested it several times and it seems that it does not matter for drag if air intakes are open or closed while using FAR. Is this intended or a bug?

I tested it with the FAR airstats window opened, and the values for BC and Cd didnt changed at all (I guess Reference Area didnt changed too). The speed or acceleration didnt changed too.

I will just leave this here, if anyone wants to give a try.

The first FAR video tutorial will come after I am satisfied with the results of this challenge: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109480

Can't wait to see which kind of abnormalities can be made under those rules.

Edited by tetryds

I will just leave this here, if anyone wants to give a try.

The first FAR video tutorial will come after I am satisfied with the results of this challenge: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109480

Can't wait to see which kind of abnormalities can be made under those rules.

Interesting thread. I'm afraid that I could not provide you with stock craft for this chalange, I refuse to play KSP without FAR :)

I agree with points in the thread, if you know how to balance craft and provide them with enough thrust it will fly :)

I think that my crafts made for FAR are even more stable than stock crafts. Simple reason is that FAR provides you with realy usefull tools for that.

It is only hard to design planes until you figure out basics by yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

I copy my own post cause it got lost i guess.

I think that someone make a comparison with air intakes/speeds open/closed.

Sorry, can't recall which thread it was. Could be this one or AJE(Advanced Jet Engines), not absoulutely sure.

Point is that it should matter if air intakes are closed/open and type of air intake. Don't know how much is of influence and how notable it is for you.

AJE mode will provide you for additional info on air intakes.

For example, while I was testing MK2 B9PW plane, found that one B9 sabre intake per engine was not enough to reach 27km in airbreathing mode.

I tried with another set B9 air intake, but that was drag overkill. I couldn't get enough speed to reach higher altitude.

So I have added only one small stock structural air intake. It does not provide much air, but it is small sized with low profile/wight and drag.

It didn't cause overkill drag and it is provided that small amount of air needed for higher altitude.

Is there a way to have an analysis if there is going to be enough air intake to fly at a speed/altitude?

knowing that the plane is stable at some altitudes and speeds is useful, but when reaching very thin atmosphere I don't know if the engine wold be able to keep up with it

Yes, in latest update B9 procedural wing CAN hold fuel. I think that you misread my post :)

And, yes wing tips have huge effect on lift, it is common practice in RL to have wingtips instead large wingspan. Wingtips also helps with roll and sideslip stabilization.

Odd. With my latest copy of Procedural Dynamics and B9, I can't seem to find any option to add fuel to the B9 wing. Is there some patch floating about that I've not heard about?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.