[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

I read earlier that the reason for the nerf is because the stock jets were boosted so that they'd work in the soupisphere, so, they end up being overpowered for FAR.

Ah, sorry, misformulated the question. I have edited it now.

[Portion removed by moderation team.]

I can't use this mod. I use Windows 7 64x, I'm not going to switch to a 32x version because 32x Windows is obsolete and shouldn't be used anymore. And I'm not going to download Linux

Edited by Red Iron Crown

I can't use this mod. I use Windows 7 64x, I'm not going to switch to a 32x version because 32x Windows is obsolete and shouldn't be used anymore. And I'm not going to download Linux

This mod works fine on 64-bit Windows (the operating system). It is the 64-bit version of KSP for which it is disabled, for a variety of reasons. You can use it just fine in the 32-bit version of KSP, which runs perfectly well on 64-bit Windows.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Regarding some removed posts, remember to stay on-topic.

There are official posts regarding whether [thread=96320]modders need to support 64-bit builds of KSP for Windows[/thread] and the planned discontinuation of those builds with the release of KSP 1.0. There are better places to discuss either topic than a mod release thread.

As Red Iron Crown already said, 32-bit builds of KSP still run on 64-bit builds of Windows. If you need help getting it to work, take it to the Support forums.

Posters in this thread are advised to brush up on the community rules and good conduct guide, both of which can be found below.

Arguments over 64bit don't belong here, you're reminded to stay on topic X2 :)

I'll just get the guys to help me clean this mess up, and there we go.

Edited by Navy4422

Can't you guys at least make it remember it's position so that I can shove it off the bottom of the screen? I'm sure it's also annoying to those testing it.

Anways, what about making that FARtest box remember it's position or something? I also really didn't need the attitude from tetryds :P

Edit: If tetryds wasn't actually having an attitude, then apologies for the misunderstanding.

Edited by smjjames

Anways, what about making that FARtest box remember it's position or something? I also really didn't need the attitude from tetryds :P

Edit: If tetryds wasn't actually having an attitude, then apologies for the misunderstanding.

Haha, no I wasn't :P

I guess I only misphrased it.

I meant that the development version at this point works exactly like the latest release, the only difference is the voxelizer, which still does nothing other than show the voxels (AFAIK).

That is why it's not worth to pick the dev one unless you are debugging that specific feature which puts the box on the top of everything.

Ah, one thing is that it seems that I help on FAR's code, well, I don't.

I do my best to report any bugs or issues I find when playing with it though.

I don't know if this was already asked and may not make much sense, but is there a plugin that displays FAR data like one in editor, but during flight ?

Something like tracer display that shows same parameters as analysis window in editor.

And generally, are there any kind of FAR graphing/logging addons ?

Haha, no I wasn't :P

I guess I only misphrased it.

I meant that the development version at this point works exactly like the latest release, the only difference is the voxelizer, which still does nothing other than show the voxels (AFAIK).

That is why it's not worth to pick the dev one unless you are debugging that specific feature which puts the box on the top of everything.

Ah, one thing is that it seems that I help on FAR's code, well, I don't.

I do my best to report any bugs or issues I find when playing with it though.

Okay, point taken, and apologies for misunderstanding your earlier post.

If you go to the KSC main screen, you can click on the FAR toolbar button up top and theres some options that you can enable to see the numbers and stuff of the parts.

I haven't messed around with spaceplanes and stuff, so it might not be what you're looking for or there is another method.

In FAR almost anything can generate lift, though at typical plane speeds the wings do the real work.

I know it. But sometimes some pieces of wing dont generate lift properly, probably because of some little clipping. So I have to fly, turn on that blue display and see if all parts is generating lift properly.

(and sorry for my bad english)

Edited by DarthWall

I have a problem, with my plane, when i pitch un, my plane wobble vertically, why ?

It is explained in FAR wikipedia

You plane is stable, meaning when you pitch up, other pitching derivates, like gravity(if COL is placed well) will push your nose down, if you alow to nose fall down too much, lift from wings and moment from engine gimbal perhaps will pitch up nose again. Whole process continues once again each time with lower amplitude of pitching, until it stops wobbling.

It is pretty much "normal" for planes to wooble slightly, with carefuly designed plane you can minimize effect, but you can't avoid it compleatly.

FAR dynamic analysis reveals how many wobbling you will have when you change vertical speed for some amount, for example. Don't ask me to explain it further, I only know what that analysis is for, but still don't know how to use it properly, what each edit box represent and how to use it to maximize your craft potential.

The reason I asked is that from time to time FAR's editor simulation will return data that is not entirely consistent with what happens in flight.

Well after some test flights today i still feel there is something wrong. It was alright till i got above 20km and mach 4. I had to fight the whole way then to keep the nose down. On reentry I couldn't fight it well enough, so it flipped up and over remaining almost completely retrograde till it blew up in the lower atmosphere. The aero viz from FAR showed strong drag from the cockpit but little lift. That is usually how an intake is looks isnt it, but i know i have remove any intake within the config for the part and any stock drag parameters. Is it possible something with the model can cause this behavior? Any idea of how this may be fixed or what else may be causing such behavior?

If you go to the KSC main screen, you can click on the FAR toolbar button up top and theres some options that you can enable to see the numbers and stuff of the parts.

I haven't messed around with spaceplanes and stuff, so it might not be what you're looking for or there is another method.

Thanks for this ! Now i can access more details about flight data. I completely ignored that FAR button in space center.

If I wanted to make a part produce more of a lifting body effect is that possible? I tried adding a FARWingAerodynamicModel but that didn't seem to do anything. It increased the Area by the right amount in the Data window and moved the CoL but didn't seem to add any lift. Do I need to a Drag Model? I only want to increase lift not decrease drag, though I can imagine they are related. Any help would be great! Thanks.

If I wanted to make a part produce more of a lifting body effect is that possible? I tried adding a FARWingAerodynamicModel but that didn't seem to do anything. It increased the Area by the right amount in the Data window and moved the CoL but didn't seem to add any lift. Do I need to a Drag Model? I only want to increase lift not decrease drag, though I can imagine they are related. Any help would be great! Thanks.

I don't everything about this, but I think this is the basic procedure:

1) Get the part into CFG without any special aerodynamics

2) Place the part in the editor, then open the FAR editor analysis and go to "Debug FAR Modules." Go the action group editor and then select the part.

3) Copy the parameters you see into a new FARBasicDragModel in the part's CFG

4) Modify ClPotentialCurve to increase lift. I believe it is a function of AoA, but it might be somewhat more complicated than this.

There's some brief documentation on it on the GitHub repository - it counts as a very strange object for the basic drag model , I guess. I've been looking at it also as I have a piece which should produce supersonic lift, but I have no idea what sort of numbers are sensible to put in. Anyway, you want FARBasicDragModel added explicitly and some curves set up as shown in the docs. Usually FAR just adds that to parts and leaves everything as default. Don't set things which aren't wings up using the wing module, there will be some awful confusion.

I have a completely (at least I am building it that way) mirrored plane, no differences from left to right, no weird attachments ... but it just wants to roll ... will get pics up this afternoon, but wanted to get this question out just now:

Are there parts known to influence aerodynamics badly if control surfaces are attached to them?

I have a completely (at least I am building it that way) mirrored plane, no differences from left to right, no weird attachments ... but it just wants to roll ... will get pics up this afternoon, but wanted to get this question out just now:

Are there parts known to influence aerodynamics badly if control surfaces are attached to them?

Add struts and connect the wingtipts to the hull.

That is a very old known bug caused by each side flexing differently.

The best is to just strut everything well :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.