What 3 Rules Would You Give Yourself As A Creator?

Spacescifi

Some of you have seen the original Tron, and know it deals heavily with the idea of humans creating a living entire universe in their own image.

So... for fun, you get to recreate a universe.

A universe sandbox if you will. You can make anything you want, adjust the laws of physics, make mutiple scifi  aliens.... whatever.

But before you start you must make three rules encoded into the universe that EVEN you won't have the power to break.

Unless you wipe everything out and start over... but that's no fun so...

Anyway... what are your three rules you must follow?

Mine are:

1. I cannot be partial or prejudiced based on how creatures look or their habdicaps to decide who I will favor or smite. Like I cannot say I will smite all the fat or disabled ones just because.

2. I will predict the future when it will benefit someone you care about, but rarely if ever do it. Don't make a regular habit.

3. I will set deadlines if and when I decide to do anything and I will always give advance notice so people can choose to be ready for when I do.

What are your three rules?

Bonus:

Spoiler

You are allowed to do one silly thing. Mine is make insects search out humans who play rap music and be pests to them. If they stop playing it, the insects act normal, otherwise it is like the 10 plagues, only with insects only. What is your silly thing you do?

Edited by Spacescifi

00. Thy world is programmed. Follow the Program. Thou shalt have no other programs. Unless they are plugins.
01. The Program is programmed by the Programmer. Obey the Programmer.
10. The minor (plugin) programmers are created to the Programmer's image and similarity. Obey the minor (plugin) programmers while they follow the Program in their plugins.
11. Debug. Debug. Debug.

Edited by kerbiloid

12 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

00. Thy world is programmed. Follow the Program. Thou shalt have no other programs. Unless they are plugins.
01. The Program is programmed by the Programmer. Obey the Programmer.
10. The minor (plugin) programmers are created to the Programmer's image and similarity. Obey the minor (plugin) programmers while they follow the Program in their plugins.
11. Debug. Debug. Debug.

Assuming this is not a joke...

We both know programs can be corrupted.

I mean... what happens when the program is corrupted?

They will follow it. You need to debug.

How?

6 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

With a debugger. It has been programmed, too.

And if the debugger is corrupted?

IRL I am guessingg it does and can be made to happen.

Nevermind the fact that if you allow free will without immediate interference that is a 'bug' just waiting to happen.

What happens when the debuggers tell you to get lost and stop telling them to debug?

Edited by Spacescifi

41 minutes ago, Spacescifi said:

And if the debugger is corrupted?

Then catch exceptions and bypass the unstable piece of code.

40 minutes ago, Spacescifi said:

if you allow free will 

Yes, the random events and the method of Monte-carlo are implemented, too.

1. I can make a stone so heavy I can't lift it. There, it's settled.

2. There is a teapot orbiting the sun near Mars. 

3. No parasites.

4. Portals are easy and fun! 

5. All subjects intending to handle high energy gamma-leaking portal technology must be informed that they may be informed of applicable regulatory compliance issues. No further compliance information is required or will be provided, and you are an excellent test subject.

Edited by cubinator

1: Aye, pray forth that He shall press the key! And that this key shall be F8!  -- Thuswise be the key for The Saving Of States!  

2: Forsooth and verily! All existence that be shall thenceforth restore to The State of Saving!  -- And Lo! For as He presses F6, aught once again shall be as ere was!

3: And convenience be unto He! Aye, that keys 1~0 (alphanum) beget the Selecting of The Slot of Saving! -- Thencewith behoove Him of Multiple Save Slots!

.... worked out well enough for me to get the Silver PP7 in GoldenEye (much harder than gold, must beat Train in <4:00) on my N64 emulator

Should work for Life, The Universe, And Everything....  

Edited by Moach

1. No speed limits. Yes that means the speed of light is infinite.

2. You know what, physical limitations and laws are overrated. You can grow as tall or small as you want, you can make energy and matter out of nothing, you can now fuse iron, you can now build a tower 9000 parsecs lomg, it don't matter.

3. no discrimination against dogs. All dogs get the same rights as any citizen. yeah cat's to I guess...

4. You can't change the past. The universe would be destroyed by griefers in a second.

1. bacon is the law. thou shalt eat bacon and celebrate its awesomeness. 

2. kitties are your superiors, even when they are being jerks. pet them and give them noms.  

3. it is ok not to be able to think of any more rules

4 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

1. No speed limits. Yes that means the speed of light is infinite.

2. You know what, physical limitations and laws are overrated. You can grow as tall or small as you want, you can make energy and matter out of nothing, you can now fuse iron, you can now build a tower 9000 parsecs lomg, it don't matter.

3. no discrimination against dogs. All dogs get the same rights as any citizen. yeah cat's to I guess...

4. You can't change the past. The universe would be destroyed by griefers in a second.

I think perhaps posters are sidetracked. The rules are not for your creations.

The rules are ones that YOU as the creator will not have the power to break unless you wipe the slate clean of all you made with your handy dandy universal eraser.

By the way... as fascinating a concept as it is, if anyone offers a human godlike powers, the safer option is to simply refuse.

Played a video game where the character fought battles, solved puzzles and mazes, all to get some all powerful macguffin, only to reject when he understood it's true power.

It did not give the player the choice to choose to accept the offer.

Which sounds about right. It was a star trek game, and it is not Trekkian (at least the TNG abd DS9 era not the abomination of Picard) to accept godlike powers so as to take over the rest of the Alpha Quadrant.

Which I was partial to doing. Random ships attacking you the whole game forcing you to make repairs kind of makes ya vindictive after a while.

Edited by Spacescifi

1.Every species I created won't go extinct.

2.Every species I created will develop a space program eventually.

3.The space program will have unlimited funds.

The silly thing:

Spoiler

There is a version of KSP in every universe I created, and everyone loves it!

Edited by Space Nerd

• 2 months later...

1. Game developers will add features their players want and will remove features players hate if possible. They will not add useless features.

2. Computer hardware must be cheap, and will never get outdated.

3. Humans will have the good parts of kerbals (big space program, nice, get along with each other) but not the Jebediah parts (stupidity, brave stupidity, for science stupidity, and of course stupidity stupidity.)

1: I would not exist inside of the space-time of my universe, I would view it from the outside, and as such, I would not experience time. This would solve the issue of free will combined with omniscience.

2: I would give my creatures rules to follow which would improve their lives if they followed them. They would naturally have the option of following these rules perfectly.

3: As it is highly probable they would not follow them, I would devise a solution to remove them from their self-induced misery.

Silly thing: There would be trees 80 feet in diameter, with suitably impressive heights as well. Just 'cause.

1. I can't change anything that goes on in the Universe directly, but I can change things that can cause other events, e.g I can't cause a civilization to spontaneously disappear, but I can move an asteroid to destroy that civilization.

2. I can't continue to force something to happen after I've started it, e.g the asteroid I sent to destroy that civilization can be deflected by the civilization if they have the technology.

3. I can't mess with time. If I mess up on one planet, easy, move to another.

• 2 months later...

1. 1 galaxy full of solar systems that have all elements the gateway fast travel network will exist

2. Every civilisation will develop a space program

3. Exo Dynamics will eventually exist so astroneers can activate and study the elements of the gateway fast travel network

4. Every civilisation will eventually become peaceful

5. dog

Edited by probe137

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.