Kerbal Space Program 3D animations [New release October 31st]

AnimatedK

• 4 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, cyberKerb said:

Seeing the snippet on reddit, your animations are staggeringly awesome. I thought it was a KSP2 preview at first. Looking forward to seeing more in the future. :) 

Thanks! I'm resuming the work on the animation so stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea for your Duna mission animation. More like the story. Hehe. AnimatedK what if along there way to Duna when they extend there solar panels one of them breaks on the journey  to Duna. The solar panels would be vital cause they supply all the poster in the ship. And maybe when going home they dock with a mother ship (like apppolo style mission). But the docking ports don’t work! This would turn a twist of events! And make the animation a bit exciting and keeping the audience att the edge of their seats! I don’t know. It’s just a suggestion. But please try to keep the audience at the edge of their seats! I think it would be more interesting! And please add some funny things.

again! Just a suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, AnimatedK said:

Well... as you can see, that is not Duna. It's the Mun. It's been a change of plans on the animation and I hope to make things clear soon. Hope you like this preview

I don’t care. Your animations with KSP are still cool. I like the animation!!! Keep up the great work!

Hey AnimatedK.

Recently found your little channel with some amazing content, and after starting with blender myself a little while ago I had to ask you some questions.

Do you take the part models for the animation from the game itself? or do you custom model them?

How long have you been playing ksp for?

Are there any good refrences you like to take inspiration from?

Where do you see yourself going with this in the future?

If possible, do you have any good tips for somebody who's just starting off?

Thanks in advance and good luck! your work is truely a master piece.

20 minutes ago, Dash8466 said:

Hey AnimatedK.

Recently found your little channel with some amazing content, and after starting with blender myself a little while ago I had to ask you some questions.

Do you take the part models for the animation from the game itself? or do you custom model them?

How long have you been playing ksp for?

Are there any good refrences you like to take inspiration from?

Where do you see yourself going with this in the future?

If possible, do you have any good tips for somebody who's just starting off?

Thanks in advance and good luck! your work is truely a master piece.

Hey Dash!

• I took a kerbal model that's available here, in the KSP forum. I used it mostly as reference, because I almost completely remeshed, retextured and re-rigged it from scratch. I've also imported some models from the game into Blender, but the workflow was kinda the same as the kerbal model... I pretty much made the parts from scratch.
  • I believe I've been playing KSP since 2018, but last time I played was june 2020. 
  • As of reference & inspiration... well, it depends on what we are focusing on. For kerbals animation, I'm taking lots of references from minions; for space stuff & aesthetics I use takes from the show "For all mankind". This is just scratching the surface in the matter of reference, but I hope you get some idea.
  • I'm trying to finish, or get this animation nearly done, in order to open a Patreon page. I'm betting on community support for the making of future chapters, though if I can't achieve the goal, well... it was nice working with the kerbals.
  • Tips for Blender newcomers:
    1.  Beware of the steep learning curve. It's going to be difficult at the beggining. Things will become easier much later.
    2. Don't, and I mean it... DO NOT try to get ahead of yourself. Start with something low-poly, learn the modelling shortcuts, get the grasp of shading nodes, then move on to more complex models. From then on, you have to choose what you are going to use Blender for: sculpting, vfx edditing, hard surface modelling, animation, etc.
    3. Blender Guru's YouTube channel is what I used to learn Blender back in 2012. I suggest you pay a visit as well. Dude's got a whole new tutorial series from the last version of Blender.

Hope to see you around!

Juan Ignacio.

New brakedown!

Hello! Your YT channel was in the recommendation sidebar while I was watching the Mars 2020 briefing! So I after the stream (which was amazing, I hope everyone saw it) I watched all your videos and subbed. Your work is incredibly good. No matter what you end up doing with everything you have, you should be very proud for what you've done so far. The visuals are professional quality for sure.

I haven't seen any name suggestions in the thread, do you have that part nailed down? I feel like your description of the grumpy one was very reminiscent of a certain seasoned astronaut so the name Schwallie Kerman came to mind.

Very much looking forward to whatever else you produce! If you end up with text/script in your production and you'd like some proofreading help from a native English speaker, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Best of luck!

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hello! Your YT channel was in the recommendation sidebar while I was watching the Mars 2020 briefing! So I after the stream (which was amazing, I hope everyone saw it) I watched all your videos and subbed. Your work is incredibly good. No matter what you end up doing with everything you have, you should be very proud for what you've done so far. The visuals are professional quality for sure.

I haven't seen any name suggestions in the thread, do you have that part nailed down? I feel like your description of the grumpy one was very reminiscent of a certain seasoned astronaut so the name Schwallie Kerman came to mind.

Very much looking forward to whatever else you produce! If you end up with text/script in your production and you'd like some proofreading help from a native English speaker, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Best of luck!

Oh my god, so that's where all the views come from lol. I thought that, given the irregular nature of my upload schedule, the YT algorithm wouldn't be interested in my channel. Thanks for the info and the kind words.

I need to upload a video to the channel explaining several stuff, because lots of things have changed since I last uploaded an update. The Duna idea was too long for me to produce in a reasonable ammount of time, so I opted for a shorter story set on the Mun. It turns out that this is also taking longer than I expected but I'm already commited to finish it. My point is that, the flag, story & characters that I showcased in the update videos are, for the time being, on hold and replaced with 3 new kerbals and another totally different mission & story.

I'm also working in 10-20 second animations to fill the channel in the meantime, as long as timelapse & scene breakedown videos like the one I last uploaded.

Thanks for the sub and, for the time being, spreading the word is the best way of helping me. Hope to see you around, stay tuned for the update on weekend.

Juan

8 hours ago, KittenCat said:

Awesome! Subscribed, any tips on making kerbal rigs, I have tried a few times and it always ended in disaster with the face rig.

Thanks!

For the face, use shape keys driven by bones. DO NOT use vertex weight deform. That's the most useful tip I can give you now.

On 2/1/2021 at 12:55 AM, Dr. Kerbal said:

When is the next update? Or animation?

Hey Dr. Kerbal. I'm trying to release a short stand alone animation this upcoming weekend. Deadline is pretty tough though.

I mentioned I would upload an update last weekend but I was working on the new animation. I'll see if I can make a quick update on how the project is doing and where is it going.

I'm uploading short previzualizations & stills on my reddit & twitter accounts.

Thanks on your interest.

Juan.

6 hours ago, AnimatedK said:

Hey Dr. Kerbal. I'm trying to release a short stand alone animation this upcoming weekend. Deadline is pretty tough though.

I mentioned I would upload an update last weekend but I was working on the new animation. I'll see if I can make a quick update on how the project is doing and where is it going.

I'm uploading short previzualizations & stills on my reddit & twitter accounts.

Thanks on your interest.

Juan.

Take your time!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.