Does anyone know a mod that specifies the ore that you drill from a planet?

Each time I drilled the ore from a planetary surface, I wondered is there a mod or plugin that specifies the ore I collected in the ore tank, like "Eve Ore", "Duna Ore", "Tylo Ore", etc. The module can be the same as the stock ore system, except for the names that they are called.

Before mining, this is how the pop-up window of the ore tank should look like:

*no resource bar

After one started surface harvest on a planetary body:

*resource bar appear, with the name of the resource (eg. MunOre, MinmusOre, DunaOre)

Of course the ore that is filled inside the VAB will be called "KerbinOre".

For the drills:

It can just be increasing the amount of (X)Ore in the ore tanks.

The (X)Ore refers to MunOre, MinmusOre, DunaOre...

For the ISRU:

Just take all of the (X)Ore as normal ore, and do the conversion.

Edited by RandomKerbal

When convert to fuel, of course it's all the same resource.

What I mean is in the Pop-up draggable screen that indicates the ore you collected, it will not just be a single resource bar named "Ore"; instead there will be multiple resource bar named "Eve Ore", "Duna Ore", "Tylo Ore"... once you collected ore from those planetary bodies.

Besides, it will be wonderful if the ore on each planetary bodies has different amount of fuel-substances inside.

Edited by RandomKerbal

4 minutes ago, RandomKerbal said:

When convert to fuel, of course it's all the same resource.

What I mean is in the Pop-up draggable screen that indicates the ore you collected, it will not just be a single resource bar named "Ore"; instead there will be multiple resource bar named "Eve Ore", "Duna Ore", "Tylo Ore"... once you collected ore from those planetary bodies.

Are you referring to the contracts that require you to collect so much ore from certain bodies?   If so, you just have to collect ore from that body, and then return some ore to it's destination.   The delivered ore doesn't have to be from the designated mining site, just delivered after the mining at the specified site has been done.    At least that's how it used to work, haven't done one of these contracts in a while.     Otherwise there's no use for knowing the source of the ore. 

It'd be fairly straightforward to make a mod for it - but it would just create a confusing mess of resources, drills, and tanks with no real extra gameplay utility.  Basic problem is that if it has a different name it has to be a *different* resource - and while you could easily make a unique resource per planetoid, every part of the resource chain would have to be able to handle each of the different resources.

44 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It'd be fairly straightforward to make a mod for it - but it would just create a confusing mess of resources, drills, and tanks with no real extra gameplay utility.  Basic problem is that if it has a different name it has to be a *different* resource - and while you could easily make a unique resource per planetoid, every part of the resource chain would have to be able to handle each of the different resources.

Sadly, I don't even have unity installed in my computer.

So basically, just hope that someday a really experienced modder would see this post and make a mod for it right?

48 minutes ago, RandomKerbal said:

Sadly, I don't even have unity installed in my computer.

So basically, just hope that someday a really experienced modder would see this post and make a mod for it right?

It wouldn't even take Unity - for this, it could all be done in Notepad, as it's all config files.

Unless of course you wanted to make something remotely clean, in which case you'd need to rewrite the entire resource system for KSP.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It wouldn't even take Unity - for this, it could all be done in Notepad, as it's all config files.

Unless of course you wanted to make something remotely clean, in which case you'd need to rewrite the entire resource system for KSP.

Thanks

You may be wanting something like Simplex Resources (which I am working on updating currently).  It has three 'Ores' - Hydrate, Natural and Rare, with HydrateOre also available in liquid form.

I'm pretty sure that it currently specifies that some planets and moons won't have particular resources, but the next update SoonTM will certainly have it.

The Mün has RareOre and HydrateOre only in only a couple of biomes, whereas Minmus has no NaturalOre.  Configs exisit but are getting updated

The idea is that for Life Support you need HydrateOre and RareOre, Liquid Fuel needs HydrateOre only, and Oxidizer needs NaturalOre only.  Supported mods with mining harvesters include Stockalike Mining Extension and BahaEPL.

10 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

You may be wanting something like Simplex Resources (which I am working on updating currently).  It has three 'Ores' - Hydrate, Natural and Rare, with HydrateOre also available in liquid form.

I'm pretty sure that it currently specifies that some planets and moons won't have particular resources, but the next update SoonTM will certainly have it.

The Mün has RareOre and HydrateOre only in only a couple of biomes, whereas Minmus has no NaturalOre.  Configs exisit but are getting updated

The idea is that for Life Support you need HydrateOre and RareOre, Liquid Fuel needs HydrateOre only, and Oxidizer needs NaturalOre only.  Supported mods with mining harvesters include Stockalike Mining Extension and BahaEPL.

He's trying to go the other way - one ore per planet:

• Ore - Kerbin
  • Ore - Mun
  • Ore - Minmus
  • Ore - Duna
  • Ore - Ike
  • etc.

Which could be done - but it'd be a mess to use.

Well, straight forward to hit configs and a MM guru could make it... just +PART with changes of addibg modules to convert the various PlanetOres for both ISRU and the drills 

But I fail to see a point to this then unless say DunaOre gave you different resources when processed with the ISRU.

In saying that, the OP said this is specifically for sample return missions, which is science, not resource collecting so I've stepped beyond what was actually requested.  You don't need to dig out Ore to do science in sample returns right?

Peace.

On 7/7/2020 at 9:02 AM, theJesuit said:

Well, straight forward to hit configs and a MM guru could make it... just +PART with changes of addibg modules to convert the various PlanetOres for both ISRU and the drills 

But I fail to see a point to this then unless say DunaOre gave you different resources when processed with the ISRU.

In saying that, the OP said this is specifically for sample return missions, which is science, not resource collecting so I've stepped beyond what was actually requested.  You don't need to dig out Ore to do science in sample returns right?

Peace.

I dig out the ore and do a sample return (in sandbox) just for 1 reason, realism.

By the way, "DunaOre gave you different resources when processed with the ISRU", yes, this is a point that I have thought before. Thanks for reminding me to add it to the post.

Edited by RandomKerbal

26 minutes ago, RandomKerbal said:

I dig out the ore and do a sample return (in sandbox) just for 1 reason, realism.

By the way, "DunaOre gave you different resources when processed with the ISRU", yes, this is a point that I have thought before. Thanks for reminding me to add it on to the post.

Ah.  Okay.  So this is a preferred headcanon type thing regarding science.

As for the ISRU, realism suggests different biome should give you different resources.  I don't expect to mine aluminium on every part of the earth's surface, nor Mars; water and therefore hydrogen either.

Setting up the ISRU in stock to cater for every planetary body will begin to make the PAW for the ISRU quite unweildy as it will show every option you have.  Drills will have the same issue.

Not saying that you shouldn't though :cool:

Peace.

Okay, actually I have also became a bit confused. Never mind.

Thanks for your replies; I need to make clear the only thing that I wanted to touch is the  name of ores in the ore tanks, the ores don't need to give you different amount of fuel when processed with the ISRU.

Of course I know there might be the coding problem that theJesuit said.

Edited by RandomKerbal

Before mining, this is how the pop-up window of the ore tank looks like:

*no resource bar

After one started surface harvest on a planetary body:

*resource bar appear, with the name of the resource (eg. MunOre, MinmusOre, DunaOre)

Of course the ore that is filled inside the VAB will be called "KerbinOre".

For the drills:

It can just be increasing the amount of (X)Ore in the ore tanks.

The (X)Ore refers to MunOre, MinmusOre, DunaOre...

For the ISRU:

Just take all of the (X)Ore as normal ore, and do the conversion.

Edited by RandomKerbal

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.