PC completely crashes while playing KSP after RIG Update.

Hello fellow people, as the tittle suggests, i'm having issues (being that KSP completely crashes my PC aka turning it off) on a modded install of KSP.
I updated my RIG recently, so i'll leave my specs right here:

GTX 960 --> RX 590 8GB.
I5 4460 3.2 GHz --> AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz.
16 Gb's RAM CL16 DDR3 --> 16 Gb's RAM CL17 DD4.
MSI Z97-G43--> MSI B450A-Pro Max.
530w PSU--> 650w +80 Gold, Modular.
Bold
 is new

I'll give an in-depth explanation on what i'm experiencing. Basically, after X period of time of playing KSP the PC shuts down, the GPU temperature seemed pretty much fine (60-70ºc, even tho on other more demanding games like BFV my temps never reach 60ºc). The game itself doesn't feel laggy whatsoever which makes me think it isn't a GPU related issue, but more like a CPU issue. 
Of course, in my old RIG this never happened as it was pretty old as well. I also have over 22 mods installed, on my old game (which was saved on my old rig) i had over 70-80 mods running fine for countless hours.
If i need to upload any file, tell me i'll be happy to cooperate : D. Thanks beforehand.

Edited by Munarmunar

In my experience, computer shutdowns are due to CPU over temp, which makes sense since KSP is a CPU dependent game, rather than GPU.   What are your CPU temps?    I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 myself, and I've noticed it tends to run hot.  Not shutdown hot, but "hey, that's too hot" hot. 

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

In my experience, computer shutdowns are due to CPU over temp, which makes sense since KSP is a CPU dependent game, rather than GPU.   What are your CPU temps?    I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 myself, and I've noticed it tends to run hot.  Not shutdown hot, but "hey, that's too hot" hot. 

I downloaded Ryzen Master and tried playing the game for about 30 mins, just the usual stuff (rocket launch, orbit and return). Got a temperature of under 60 degrees (rounding about the 55-58ºc mark) and a GPU temp of 65-75.
The game didn't crash, but i didn't test furtherly because i didn't wanna risk it.

Edited by Munarmunar

9 minutes ago, Munarmunar said:

The game didn't crash, but i didn't test furtherly because i didn't wanna risk it.

The point of thermal shutdown is to protect the chip from thermal damage, so it should shut down the machine before any damage can be done in the short term.  Running hot for long periods of time though can cause damage though.   I would try to recreate the instance it shuts down by playing again with the software logging the temps.  This way we can figure out if it is an overtemp situation or not.

One other thing to look at is if you are running anything else in the background that may be causing the CPU to spike in usage.   In my case I found that BOINC was causing a lot of CPU usage, and causing it to run hot.

But it may not be an overtemp situation at all.    Double check all your connections from the PSU.  A loose wire might be causing this.  Or even since it's new, a bum PSU might be causing it to quit.

15 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

The point of thermal shutdown is to protect the chip from thermal damage, so it should shut down the machine before any damage can be done in the short term.  Running hot for long periods of time though can cause damage though.   I would try to recreate the instance it shuts down by playing again with the software logging the temps.  This way we can figure out if it is an overtemp situation or not.

One other thing to look at is if you are running anything else in the background that may be causing the CPU to spike in usage.   In my case I found that BOINC was causing a lot of CPU usage, and causing it to run hot.

But it may not be an overtemp situation at all.    Double check all your connections from the PSU.  A loose wire might be causing this.  Or even since it's new, a bum PSU might be causing it to quit.

Oh ok, that gives me an in-sight of what i'll probs do.

Imma play some KSP 'til my PC shuts off and i'll try to see if any program rises up my CPU usage, i'll report it back.

@Gargamel Ok so after 30 mins, my PC completely shut itself down.
The CPU temp was 60ºc 2-3 mins before it turned off, but i realized my card was hotter than usual (i just opened the case and touched the card).
Also, KSP only consumes about 20-30% of my CPU.

This is starting to look a bit weird innit?

47 minutes ago, Munarmunar said:

This is starting to look a bit weird innit?

Sure is!

Really starting to think it's not temp related then. 

Take a look at your Vcard temps though at shutdown. 

But at this point, if it's capable of supporting the upgraded hardware, I'd re-attach the old PSU and see if you're still getting shutdowns.   

You're not getting any warnings or anything, just a hard shutdown?   Does it reboot normally or does it require a button push?

32 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Sure is!

Really starting to think it's not temp related then. 

Take a look at your Vcard temps though at shutdown. 

But at this point, if it's capable of supporting the upgraded hardware, I'd re-attach the old PSU and see if you're still getting shutdowns.   

You're not getting any warnings or anything, just a hard shutdown?   Does it reboot normally or does it require a button push?

Yeah, i changed my old PSU because it was a bit short and couldn't support both my GPU and CPU together, it couldn't run games i can run now.

And exactly, it's just a hard shutdown where i require to push the case's button to start it again.

fIDqe3i.png

I've even ran an stress test on Ryzen Master and this is the max it can achieve.

Edited by Munarmunar

12 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I guess we can lock it if you wish @Munarmunar, but I'd suggest letting it sit for a bit.   Some people don't come on here every day, and one of them might have some good insight.   Your choice though.  

Yeah i'll let it for a bit, to see if i've got any luck, thanks for your help tho :D 

After hours of testing, and fiddling around with my settings i've came into the conclusion that somehow, after deleting my Drivers and installing them again and after checking some posts, i've succeded in lowering my temperatures by almost 70ºc to 50-60º. It also depends on the craft as well. I'd just say that the GPU is the problem here, next time i'll stick with another NVIDIA just in case, hell i could even try mounting my old GTX 960 to see if it works better than previously. But yeah, the CPU just seems fine as it runs betweens 60-70ºc's which is pretty much fine for a non-overclocked build. @Gargamel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.