Orbital Construction - Observations, Bugs, Problems, and Solutions

Superfluous J

3 minutes ago, Caleb Kerman said:

I think that is is unrealistic that capsules just float on water. I think that capsules should be able to sink. to counteract sinking KSP2 could have floats that make your rocket float. This would also encourage underwater exploration and trying to get back your rocket after it sinks. Please like this if you think it is a good idea. Later I might start a pole and see how people like the idea.

Capsules are essentially light metal shells filled with air. The fact that they float on water is not at all unrealistic.

Also, this isn't really the right thread for the topic.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

More Kerbals will do that, but I can see how handling large groups of Kerbals on EVA at once could get annoying fast.

Also, if I do put engineering vessel into an unfortunate spin, I'd rather have to go hunting for one kerbal without an EVA pack than a dozen.

Actually... Do engineers in External Command Seat allow EVA repairs and/or contribute to the assistance count? I haven't checked, and that might be a fairly convenient way to do orbital construction.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:46 PM, Caleb Kerman said:

I think that is is unrealistic that capsules just float on water. I think that capsules should be able to sink. to counteract sinking KSP2 could have floats that make your rocket float. This would also encourage underwater exploration and trying to get back your rocket after it sinks. Please like this if you think it is a good idea. Later I might start a pole and see how people like the idea.

I love that idea! Do the pole NOW!

• 2 weeks later...

Part Misalignment in Snap-to preview

As of version 1.11.1, parts often refuse to align in snap-to mode.  Sometimes the misalignment is large.  Sometimes it is ever-so-slightly off, and the small difference breaks the design.

Alignment bugs(YouTube)

Part misalignment on placement

More often, the parts preview is shown as aligned, but the actual placement is off slightly and by random-seeming amounts.  

Observation: the ship also “jumps” a tiny bit on placement,   I have to imagine that this is linked with the placement bug.  

Proper alignment is a prerequisite to having any controllable vessel,  so let’s hope the bugfixes keep coming.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:37 PM, K^2 said:

Also, if I do put engineering vessel into an unfortunate spin, I'd rather have to go hunting for one kerbal without an EVA pack than a dozen.

Actually... Do engineers in External Command Seat allow EVA repairs and/or contribute to the assistance count? I haven't checked, and that might be a fairly convenient way to do orbital construction.

Engineers have to leave the seat to construct.  They can hold on to a ladder, though.

9 hours ago, kayagoban said:

Engineers have to leave the seat to construct.  They can hold on to a ladder, though.

The latter part is very useful since you can pack some Pegasus I Mobility Enhancers and start each operation with attaching one at some good spot.

Then you can hang on to that and do the real job.

And if you want to can remove it when done and reuse it the next time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 7:35 PM, Vandest said:

Do the struts stay in place when you place them in EVA?

For me, when I go back to the KSC and go back to my station, the rods disappear.

same here, quite annoying! anyone found a fix?

1.11.2 seems to introduce more issues than it solves for existing craft or new, EVA const imo is borked, awaiting next iteration.

Edited by RW-1

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is still an active thread, but I have a question RE: orbital construction.

If there's a part on a ship that I want to remove, what tools do I need? And are there limitations to types of parts that can be removed? (I know weight limits apply)

For example, I accidentally put these radial decouplers on backwards on my just-launched station module...so they're stuck hanging off the sides. I want to bring up an Engineer to remove these.

What issues should I be thinking about / planning for (so I don't have to strand my Engineer in space without proper equipment...)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by scottadges

6 hours ago, scottadges said:

Not sure if this is still an active thread, but I have a question RE: orbital construction.

If there's a part on a ship that I want to remove, what tools do I need? And are there limitations to types of parts that can be removed? (I know weight limits apply)

For example, I accidentally put these radial decouplers on backwards on my just-launched station module...so they're stuck hanging off the sides. I want to bring up an Engineer to remove these.

What issues should I be thinking about / planning for (so I don't have to strand my Engineer in space without proper equipment...)

Thanks in advance!

You only need an engineer, they bring their welding tools with them everywhere.

I'm not sure if there's a level requirement in career, though. Just bring the highest-level engineer you have whenever possible in case there is.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently made another observation: While having a add-this-to-satellite mission, I successfully added the part to the craft, however my Kerbal was then glued to the satellite. RCS would still work, however move the whole satellite. Wasn't able to fix it and had to reload and avoid finishing the contract.

Did anyone experience similar behaviour?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.