IX-6315 "Dawn" Electric Propulsion System: Part Revamp Suggestion

Hi Squad. I noticed that the IX-6315 "Dawn" Electric Propulsion System hasn’t seem to have a part revamp (that I know of). The small ion engine maybe small and slow but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve a part revamp. The small ion engine could use some variants and a texture revamp. There are many variants I could think of like a different color or some of the inside components show more. Or anything. The little engine could use a part revamp. 
Part imageIt would be nice to see this small ion engine have a revamp.

Ya. It would be better to see a larger ion engine for the 2.5m parts. (Or whatever size parts are for the MK1 Command Pod)

1 hour ago, Blaarkies said:

Would be awesome to have a larger size of this one, and a large battery to accommodate that (like the 2.5m shortest fuel tank)

Have you tried the Near Future Propulsion mod? It has no fewer than five different types of electric propulsion- improved variants of the stock ion thruster, Hall effect thrusters (more thrust but lower ISP), lithium-powered magnetoplasmodynamic thrusters which provide a lot of thrust with good ISP, pulsed inductive thrusters with variable power input and ISP (more power = higher efficiency) and VASIMR thrusters with variable thrust and ISP (more thrust = lower efficiency). PITs and VASIMR can both be switched to use either xenon or argon as fuel and both they and the MPDT engines have 0.625m, 1.25m and 2.5m variants along with fuel tanks in those sizes.

They do all require A LOT of power to operate though, so much in fact that you’ll probably need nuclear reactors to power them (these can be provided by NF Electrical) and the quantities of xenon required to run a 2.5m electric thruster, never mind a cluster of them, are massively expensive. The good thing about mods is that you can easily delete the parts you don’t want and just leave those you do- if you only want the smaller ion-type thrusters or just the 2.5m parts you can do that.

Just now, jimmymcgoochie said:

Have you tried the Near Future Propulsion mod? It has no fewer than five different types of electric propulsion- improved variants of the stock ion thruster, Hall effect thrusters (more thrust but lower ISP), lithium-powered magnetoplasmodynamic thrusters which provide a lot of thrust with good ISP, pulsed inductive thrusters with variable power input and ISP (more power = higher efficiency) and VASIMR thrusters with variable thrust and ISP (more thrust = lower efficiency). PITs and VASIMR can both be switched to use either xenon or argon as fuel and both they and the MPDT engines have 0.625m, 1.25m and 2.5m variants along with fuel tanks in those sizes.

They do all require A LOT of power to operate though, so much in fact that you’ll probably need nuclear reactors to power them (these can be provided by NF Electrical) and the quantities of xenon required to run a 2.5m electric thruster, never mind a cluster of them, are massively expensive. The good thing about mods is that you can easily delete the parts you don’t want and just leave those you do- if you only want the smaller ion-type thrusters or just the 2.5m parts you can do that.

No mods for me. Cause I play on Console.

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

I would like it if the engine worked in non physical time warp, but i'm not sure how you would make that work

There’s a couple of mods that provide a workaround by allowing burning in the background or increasing the physics warp time. Not possible in stock though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.