[1.11.2] Improved Tree Engine Placement (26th March 2021)

Improved Tree Engine Placement // v1.2.1

License: CC BY-NC 4.0

The scope of this mod is to improve the order in which you unlock engines in the community tech tree. It does this by splitting the rocketry line into a lifter line and an efficient propulsion line, into which go booster engines and vacuum-optimized engines respectively. Nuclear and fusion propulsion lines are shifted up a row.

Inspiration has come from the recently released BetterEarlyTree mod, which I quite enjoyed, as well as Unkerballed Start, where I liked the separation of rocketry lines.

The logic behind the ordering is that you unlock engines following their diameter, i.e. you get 1.25m ones before 1.875 and so on. That logic fails though as you get into mods that add very similar engines, taking the mainsail and the mastodon as an example. Therefore, they have been ordered following a rough comparison in deltav and thrust. Cryogenic engines are also usually more efficient and perform better than the kerolox ones, and are therefore moved one node further back, so that you are somewhat limited or forced to use lesser-performing engines better.

Spoiler

Full list of changes:

Squad

• Thud into general rocketry (1 column earlier)
  • Poodle into high efficiency propulsion (1 column later)
  • Twin-boar into heavier lifters (1 column later)
  • Cheeeetah into efficient propulsion (1 column earlier)
  • Bobcat into advanced rocketry (1 column earlier)
  • Skiff into high efficiency propulsion ( 1 column later)
  • Wolfhound into very high efficiency propulsion (1 column later)

ReStock+

• Boar into heavy lifters (1 column earlier)
  • Pug into general rocketry (1 column later)
  • Corgi into very high efficiency propulsion (1 column later)

NFS

• Orbital 25 into high efficiency propulsion (1 column later)
  • Orbital 375 into very high efficiency propulsion (1 column later)

NFLV

• Walrus into heavier lifters (1 column later)
  • Sphinx into efficient propulsion (same column)

CryoEngines

• Hecate into efficient propulsion (same column)
  • Ulysses into higher efficiency propulsion (1 column later)
  • Tharsis into tremendous efficiency propulsion (1 column later)
  • Erebus into lifters (1 column later)
  • Pavonis into high efficiency propulsion (1 column later)
  • Eagle into higher efficiency propulsion (1 column later)
  • Buzzard into efficient propulsion (same column)
  • Vulture into tremendous efficiency propulsion (2 column later)
  • Tyrannosaur into very heavy lifters (1 column later)
  • Hawk into precision propulsion (1 column later)
  • Compsognathus into precision propulsion (2 column later)
  • Harrier into high efficiency propulsion (1 column later)
  • Iguanodon into lifters (1 column later)

No pics no clicks, so here we go:

GLo8F1Z.png

Since this is my first official mod, feedback is very welcome, especially on my module manager patches, but also on general balance or further mod implementation.

Notes:

The icons are based on the Terrier, the Harrier and Tharsis engines, the latter two being from cryogenic engines.

Supported:

• Stock
  • ReStock+
  • CryoEngines
  • Near Future Launch Vehicles
  • Near Future Spacecraft

Dependencies: (not bundled)

• Community Tech Tree
  • Module Manager

Dowload:

Spoiler

Changelog:

v1.2.1:

- Fix bad repository organization

v1.2:

-  Add descriptions to the nodes

- Added French and German localization

v1.1:

fixed MM syntax related error

Edited by KawaiiLucy
Mod Update

Small FYI - MM is coughing up a warning related to /ImprovedTreeEnginePlacement/Tree/ITEP.cfg. Not sure what it's about, though, sorry!

EDIT: Never mind, found it with a little more looking:

[WRN 20:45:12.567] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: ImprovedTreeEnginePlacement/Tree/ITEP/@TechTree:FOR[ImprovedTreeEnginePlacement]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:AFTER[CommunityTechTree]

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly
8 hours ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Small FYI - MM is coughing up a warning related to /ImprovedTreeEnginePlacement/Tree/ITEP.cfg.

I am aware of this,  it is the FOR[ImprovedTreeEnginePlacement] which is with certainty misplaced. It still works  though.

Edit: fixed it in latest update.

Edited by KawaiiLucy

Very interested in this as I was building my own similar mod just last night.

I wondered if your thinking of adjusting the fuel tanks too?

I will download this myself now and take a look at what you have done. I will also ensure I update TechTree Kompacted for your new branch too.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I think we should integrate this nod,  at least the technodes into Community Tech Tree.

Technically it would meet the requirements for the first four nodes for vacuum propulsion, since 2-3 mods get placed in them, but the last one currently only holds cryogenic engines, which doesn't meet it. I don't have anything against integrating it into CTT :D (my icons are kinda bad though, and not really homogenous with the style of the rest).

4 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

I wondered if your thinking of adjusting the fuel tanks too?

I hadn't thought of that, I might look into it. The mod was only a first try at ordering engines, but is open to improvement, and might expand to balance the tank placement; gonna need a new title then tho.

Edited by KawaiiLucy
12 hours ago, KawaiiLucy said:

I hadn't thought of that, I might look into it. The mod was only a first try at ordering engines, but is open to improvement, and might expand to balance the tank placement; gonna need a new title then tho.

Fuel tanks already have their own tech branches, no need to split it up. In KSP the most usefull parts are engines so people tend to focus on them for quick progression. To mitigate that, it helps to split them up. For that reason I l also made a split between fusion engine and fission engines in KSPIE. Talking about KSPIE, I will integrate this mod into the KSPIE extended CTT tech tree, which use the same realestate in the techtree. In the KSPIE techtree, I also moved the electric engine branch up near the other engine techs, this makes a lot of sence as it allows you to cluster all engine technology neatly together.

ykfiKDP.png

Edited by FreeThinker

Alright, I integrated the Improved Techtree Engine Mod into KSPIE

pr76s6M.png

As you can see, the Exotic Nuclear Propulsion (which unlock the Nuclear Salt Water Rockets) now has a dependancy to the Tremendous Efficiency Propulsion (whch will unlock Metalic Hydrogen Engines)

Edited by FreeThinker