Pre-Alpha?

Modern game development is oriented to vertical slices. That means driving subsets of features to polish until you have a full game, rather than gradually improving everything. Intercept has been showing us things selectively that are near their final state, which is why you are getting impression that the game is polished.

I would think they just work on particular areas to make them really good and perfect for showing to the public, while in reality there are many other aspects of the game that still need to be worked on extensively. Also, to go with what @K^2 said, we saw very early on in Dev diaries that the planets were already looking spectacular and really good, but they seemed to still be in fairly early stages of working on engine plumes and explosion effects. So yeah, some areas seem more polished than others and those are the ones we have been shown so far.

13 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I do want to just say that in the forums their was a verified individual (I do not remember their name, but some of you might recall) who said he was playtesting the game. 

Verified how? And their are many ways to playtest.

I may be a long time player, but new to forums so I wouldn't have been here at that time most likely

5 minutes ago, Dientus said:

Verified how? And their are many ways to playtest.

I may be a long time player, but new to forums so I wouldn't have been here at that time most likely

It was last year I think

Btw I think the kerbol system is almost complete, and that is what is being playtested.

28 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

It was last year I think

Btw I think the kerbol system is almost complete, and that is what is being playtested.

That would be great, if true we should be on track for a very stable game in 22 :grin:

13 minutes ago, Dientus said:

That would be great, if true we should be on track for a very stable game in 22 

I mean, in terms of visual fidelity, it seemed like this is a pretty safe project. I'm still worried about gameplay systems and physics, and we've seen almost none of that.

And this isn't an, "I expect this will be a disaster," type of worry. I see a lot of doomsayers here, and there hasn't really been any serious red flags to warrant that. But there's definitely a lot of room between a passable game with mediocre, uninspired gameplay, and something brilliant that will become an instant classic. We haven't seen anything that would indicate progress towards the later, and while Intercept by no means has to have something to show us in that regard, or even be in any way obliged to show us what they do have, the confidence in the game aspects of KSP2 is on good faith only at this point.

3 minutes ago, K^2 said:

I mean, in terms of visual fidelity, it seemed like this is a pretty safe project. I'm still worried about gameplay systems and physics, and we've seen almost none of that.

And this isn't an, "I expect this will be a disaster," type of worry. I see a lot of doomsayers here, and there hasn't really been any serious red flags to warrant that. But there's definitely a lot of room between a passable game with mediocre, uninspired gameplay, and something brilliant that will become an instant classic. We haven't seen anything that would indicate progress towards the later, and while Intercept by no means has to have something to show us in that regard, or even be in any way obliged to show us what they do have, the confidence in the game aspects of KSP2 is on good faith only at this point.

I agree that obviously they have made great visual strides. Compare the first "gameplay"clip we got to the clouds clip. It looks so much better. With that being said, I hope the features are also up to these standards.

55 minutes ago, K^2 said:

But there's definitely a lot of room between a passable game with mediocre, uninspired gameplay, and something brilliant that will become an instant classic. We haven't seen anything that would indicate progress towards the later,

I see what you mean. And not having any previous projects to draw from (well, to an extent I guess KSP) from this team of devs, we can only speculate how playability (and replayability) will be.

I daresay, that from what I have seen and know of the project, it will at least be mediocre and very doubtful to be a complete 'bomb'. It may be just complete blind faith, but I do believe it will at least rank in the generic category of 'good'.

1 hour ago, Dientus said:

I daresay, that from what I have seen and know of the project, it will at least be mediocre and very doubtful to be a complete 'bomb'. It may be just complete blind faith, but I do believe it will at least rank in the generic category of 'good'.

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that at least sandbox will be alright. Even if it ends up having as much Kraken as early KSP, so long as there are interesting planets to explore, it's a game. So the baseline isn't bad, and the fact that there's only up to go from there is encouraging. And IMO, landing just one of the following: solid multiplayer, improved physics for large ships and colonies, or good story progression - would push it into a good game overall territory.

they are probably not come that far with colonies since they only showed the looks for them not function and not how you build them. lots of parts you see are probably useless right now  and they mostly seem to have made planets and the physics right now and also some parts

7 hours ago, jastrone said:

they are probably not come that far with colonies since they only showed the looks for them not function and not how you build them. lots of parts you see are probably useless right now  and they mostly seem to have made planets and the physics right now and also some parts

I'm pretty sure that they have working prototype for the colonies. It could be they don't think it's ready to be shown. Intercept does seem to only show things that are in a near finished state or what they think is cool to show off.

18 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I'm pretty sure that they have working prototype for the colonies. It could be they don't think it's ready to be shown. Intercept does seem to only show things that are in a near finished state or what they think is cool to show off.

I also agree that Colonies are not completely done. I do subscribe to the notion that most of the Kerbolar system is done. 

Colonys and other systems are probably most of what is left to develop.

On 4/13/2021 at 5:40 AM, K^2 said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that at least sandbox will be alright.

I think it may be the opposite, it's really difficult that they can came up with a worse progression than KSP1, even if they ship the internal prototype placeholders.

On the other hand sandbox is a very generic term and given the colonies own progression, the resource collecting, and the extraplanetary launchpads I think that whatever direction they take a lot of people is going to find out that "sandbox" is not what they meant for sandbox mode.

Upgrades and prices at the KSC are not that important if you can build a second launch center on Mun and at that point there's no difference between sandbox and progression if some things are locked behind colony development, on the other hand for some people sandbox is just the "i don't want to grind science but I want the rest of progression intact" mode.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:27 AM, jastrone said:

They sure have a lot of the concepts already written and planned down given the amount of detail when talking about it.