could we have space phenomena based travel

This was one of the big "Nopes" at the core of development, no wormholes and similar teleportation phenomena or tech.

19 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

You really don't know the playerbase.

The rule is simple. If it exists, it will be exploited.

This is funny seeing as  @Stratennotblitz is clearly an homage name to stratzenblitz75. Someone who has demonstrated exploiting the game to its very extremes

Edited by mcwaffles2003

9 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:

per example, a ship accidentally jumps into a wormhole and the whole server accelerates unexpectedly etc, those events would be randomly generated and not exploited by players.

This could be a real PITA.  Just imagine your decade long voyage to exlpore a new star system and 'poooofffff' your ship randomly zooms off to somewhere else. 

No thanks - not for me anyway.

15 hours ago, pandaman said:

This could be a real PITA.  Just imagine your decade long voyage to exlpore a new star system and 'poooofffff' your ship randomly zooms off to somewhere else. 

No thanks - not for me anyway.

I said per example, it could be a solar flare, asteroid impact etc

16 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

This is funny seeing as  @Stratennotblitz is clearly an homage name to stratzenblitz75. Someone who has demonstrated exploiting the game to its very extremes

yeah I watch the kraken king

16 hours ago, The Aziz said:

You really don't know the playerbase.

The rule is simple. If it exists, it will be exploited.

you're right lol

16 hours ago, Master39 said:

This was one of the big "Nopes" at the core of development, no wormholes and similar teleportation phenomena or tech.

They also said with that traveling will be rocket based. So along with that, we won't see other things like Solar Sails in stock.

43 minutes ago, Stratennotblitz said:

not sure if that's even computable by a computer that runs ksp tbh

If you use the same trick he did for caching intermediate results and render it in a shader at a reasonable resolution, you can run it on a good GFX card. Lots of tricky math and good programming exercise, but very doable.

Of course, if you want to be able to render a ship in transit, there is an additional challenge, since you can't just do an honest ray tracing of it. You'd have to utilize screen space information in a clever way. It won't be perfect, and you'll definitely have some distortions and smudges on the ship, but if it goes through quickly enough it should look ok. (If anyone is familiar with rendering screen space reflections - yeah, basically same problem.)

4 hours ago, Stratennotblitz said:

I said per example, it could be a solar flare, asteroid impact etc

Which is still 'random bad luck' by another name.   I'm perfectly capable of creating my own 'unforseen circumstances' without help from a random die-roll.

Now IF the game had ways to detect and warn of said events.  Therefore giving players a chance and option to avoid or deal with them, then that becomes 'gameplay' which I would be ok with (but a little sceptical) if it was implemented well enough.