Dres Sucks. Change my mind

Kerbal_thrower

Well, you aren't wrong. Although, Dres does have a canyon, which sets it apart from the other planets, but that's pretty much it. I would like to explore your claim that Eeloo is better than Dres.

Eeloo is situated at an orbital inclination of 6.15 degrees, and Dres is at a 5 degree orbit. While that doesn't seem important, it shows that with Eeloo's inclination, you need more Delta-V to make a plane change. Also, Eeloo is farther from Kerbol, so it require more Delta-V to even get your orbit to Eeloo's. The only good thing about Eeloo is that it has a higher science multiplier, with Surface being 7 points higher than Dres, Near Space being 5 points higher than Dres, and Outer space and Recovery being 4 points more than Dres. I don't understand your point about the gravity, so I will not elaborate on that. Eeloo requires a longer mission time because of its distance and inclination, compared to Dres. According to the KSP wiki, Eeloo lacks any ground scatter. And while it did get a revamp, the absence of terrain scatter makes Eeloo look a bit plain.

TL;DR - Dres could be better, just don't compare it to Eeloo.

Edited by BekfastDerp13
added a word

3 minutes ago, Kerbal_thrower said:

I mostly like Eloo because of how many interesting things you can find there. It's mostly flat, setting it apart from other planets. It also has an atmosphere, according to the gravity scan.

I understand what you mean now, thank you. I probably need to visit Eeloo. Maybe when I can get to Tylo.

Dres and Eeloo are the two most boring places to visit in the entire game in my opinion. Dres has a canyon, and that’s pretty much it, and canyons can be found on other celestial bodies too, such as the Mun and Duna. You can even fly through the latter with a plane, as Duna has an atmosphere.

G4Fnxin.jpg
UscuBFC.jpg

The only unique thing about it is the asteroid ring that spawns around it, but this pretty much only matters if you want to refuel, which you could just do on the surface anyway thanks to the low gravity.

Eeloo is even more boring in my opinion, as it barely has any terrain features to explore (no mountains, and only has those brown cracks in the ice). It also lacks terrain scatter, and is just so far away as to not be worth the time after you’ve done a science mission or two. I think I’ve only ever visited Eeloo twice in stock KSP; every other time has been in OPM, in which it’s a moon.

22 hours ago, Kerbal_thrower said:

It also has an atmosphere, according to the gravity scan.

Eeloo has no atmosphere on the surface according to the barometer I believe. On the map screen, the info panel also says it has no atmosphere present.

22 hours ago, Kerbal_thrower said:

I mostly like Eloo because of how many interesting things you can find there. It's mostly flat, setting it apart from other planets. It also has an atmosphere, according to the gravity scan.

For me, Eeloo is just as pointless as Dres. It does have large expanses of flat terrain, prime for building bases. The only problem is there is absolutely no practical reason for them to be there, not even for pretty screenshots, aside from building one for the fun of it. Because of its distance and so few advantages, its just not worth going there aside from a scientific probe. Its flatness may make it unique, but it also makes it visually unappealing. Its mostly white with brown streaks through its surface and virtually nothing in the way of terrain. If you want flat areas for base real-estate, you could just go to Minmus, which is only 2 weeks away. 

Dres suffers all the same problems, except its saving grace is that its at least closer and has more varied terrain and appearance.  Eeloo has none of that.

Edited by DunaManiac

I actually like Dres because of the canyon. Would be neat to build a surface colony that overlooks the canyon.

But, I think the terrain features on all the planets are pretty boring. With no life, they are just rocks after all.

Edited by Biggen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.