SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

I really like it, what mods were used in construction, and do you have a craft file?

thanks. mods used are: KWRocketry, Interstellar and RemoteTech.

sadly, no craft files.. i made it up as i went.. never saved the modules prior launch..

Welcome to the forums!

Very interesting stations you got there too.

And please tell me you aren't launching them as single pieces... I can't imagine how these things would fly...

Oh god, that would be a feat.

No, I build the stations in the VAB, then save each section as a subassembly and launch them separately. Often there are minor changes between design, launch, and assembly, but they're generally pretty minor.

My current space station (lots of station science mod parts):

ohIHUJT.jpg

Initially assembled in LKO with a lot of launches in a more or less random pattern, then redesigned the whole thing in orbit to this 3-hull approach, attached some engines and moved it to high Kerbin orbit. The triple-hull makes it relatively stable, it doesn't wobble much when turning or when starting the nukes down there.

Right now my SSTO is docked to it, carrying the experiments for the station science modules, soon to return with loads of science (which I don't need anymore but I don't care ;) ).

On the top and bottom I have attached my tugs. Would only need one but I did not ditch the second one yet. They can easily grab and place the new modules I shoot up. Also used them to rearrange the design.

Will try to move it to Mun and Minmus orbits once I have drained all the science from Kerbin's orbit.

Base1.jpg

Hi,

just wanted to show off my litte home away from home.

Has place for 66 Kerbals and consists of over 1100 parts. (Build more for the looks than for part count when i started, as seen in the fuel tank compartment ;) )

greetings

Ben

Here's my space station under construction with RSS mod. It has the same inclination as Moon and I hope that it will help me to build a station on Moon surface.

Currently there are 3 modules attached: core module, spaceplane for crew delivery, little space tug which was used to install solar panels and a huge 100-ton MMH+N2O4 fuel tank.

qwdu.png

KESS

This is my (now abandoned) Kerbin Space Station KESS in a 250 km Orbit around Kerbin. It was my first attempt to build a space station (using stock parts), and it was enhanced over various game versions.

screenshot436.png

screenshot388.png

The staion consits of the following parts:

screenshot388.jpg

1: Base core with control module

2: Two mergency capsules docked (now that the station is abandoned, those two are gone)

3: Small fuel tank for refuling docked crafts

4: Science section, with science modules and goo containers, this was the last addtion to the station

5: Engergy module, some solar panels were lost after a docking accident

6: Habitat module with additional docking ports

Here's my ring station, using mostly Fustek modules.

3Xuo5o0.png

Capacity is 24 Kerbals at two per Fustek hab module. There are enough escape pods (the lander cans between the Fustek sections) to get everyone back home safely in an emergency.

I tried building it with TAC life support and Ioncross life support, but they both froze the game repeatedly when I added the 20th Fustek module. So it has Asmi's life support mod instead, with enough oxygen to last about two months on board.

Took 21 launches to assemble in orbit. I used quad-clampotrons to get the angles between segments exactly right, as even the Docking Port Alignment mod was not precise enough to get everything lined up with a single port per section. To get the geometry right, I pre-assembled it in the VAB then split it apart and launched it one segment at a time.

Here are some construction photos:

Before the docking section was added:

GHG2o1M.png

Halfway built:

md6ZlXD.png

Adding an early section:

YQVwxjn.png

MUSS

The next station to be build was the Mun Space Station (MUSS) in a 150 km Mun orbit. Using several parts that were already used in KESS, this staion is used as a stop to transfer Kerbals down to the various Mun Bases

screenshot468.png

screenshot469.png

The station consits of the following parts:

screenshot469.jpg

1: Base core with control module

2: Engergy module

3: Still attached oribital tug, this one was used t bring the single parts into their position. Its engine is now used for smaller position changes

4: Gemini Mk IV shuttle for transfering Kerbals down to Mun and back

5: Small Kethane tank and processing unit. A Kethane miner is currently landed on Mun

6: Fuel storage

7: Science Module

This is my refueling base orbiting Kerbin at 120 km:

spacestation2.jpg

Lately it has become more like a convenient storing place for ships at LKO. This is what it used to look like:

spacestation.jpg

The tanker has gone to store extra fuel at the construction site for an interplanetary cargo ship. The ugly passenger plane has been replaced by a (probably very inefficient) kethane drilling plane based on the same design. The command pod with turbojets was originally intended as a Laythe lander, but it turned out to be quite convenient for transporting crew in the Kerbin system. The small ship in shadow was used as a Duna/Ike lander. It was moved to LKO for indefinite storage, as my explorer ship is being refitted for a mission to Laythe.

My two stations:

The Mathis, hanging out in low orbit over Kerbin as a refueling point primarily for space planes and other ships leaving the system.

Kerbal019.jpg

And my favorite, The Memphis, used as a go between for ships arriving from the Kerbin system and space planes ferrying people and supplies to my base on the surface of Laythe. It has also served as a pretty crucial base for ships exploring the rest of the Joolian system.

Kerbal001.jpg

And my favorite, The Memphis, used as a go between for ships arriving from the Kerbin system and space planes ferrying people and supplies to my base on the surface of Laythe. It has also served as a pretty crucial base for ships exploring the rest of the Joolian system.

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Kerbal001.jpg

How did you transfer it to Jool, in a single piece?

Oooh, when i saw this thread, i couldnt resist!

- The final refined version of my basic Kerbin Orbital Refuelling Station (KORS - basically just a refuelling station). At this point, it was just in orbit and still had to have fuel tanks added under where you can see the RCS cannisters...

kerbal_01_kors_zps4e0af96a.jpg

Here she is with 3 of the 5 cannisters, and one of my early career mode interplanetary carriers docked to it.

kerbal_02_kors2_zpsef43aa0c.jpg

My Mun version of the Kerbin refuelling station was a bit more ornate and less practical since it was just for Mun hopping.

kerbal_03_mors_zpse6a0c785.jpg

But this, this is my pride and joy. It took 4 seperate simultanious journies from Kerbin to Duna, and i assembled it in Duna orbit, so obviously i call it...

kerbal_04_DS1_01_zpse463ab2b.jpg

Duna Space 1! (*Hums Deep Space Nine themetune*)

kerbal_04_DS1_02_zps49f0f6d8.jpg

I even sent the Kerbals little long-distance EVA RCS pods as if they were runabouts XD...Although it does save me time not having to synchronize the orbit of ships passing through when i just want to transfer crew and passengers.

kerbal_04_DS1_03_zpsc01f3fff.jpg

kerbal_04_DS1_04_zpsfcbf374d.jpg

SpaceLab One:

OeQgmPo.png

Mk0kG6F.png

Currently residing in a 200Km, ~equatorial orbit over Kerbin, SL-1 was the KSC's first attempt at a space station in MKO. The engineers jumped the gun a bit first though, as this is the second space station to be constructed by KSC. MOL-1(Mobile Orbital Lab) was constructed almost a week earlier after discovering that ships could dock together during the Moho-YellowStone Test flights last Tuesday. It is safe to say the Engineers went a little over the top when asked by Wherner Von Kerman and Gene Kerman to make them a station, as MOL-1 resides in a ~20Km orbit over Mun...

(I am not a noob. I have known about docking for a long time. (~0.20, AKA before I got the game. Thank you KurtJMac.) My first spacestation dwarfs this one by a longshot, and it was in Geosync.)

Edited by Deathsoul097