[1.9.x - 1.12.x] BDArmory Plus (BDA+) v1.6.11.0 [2024-02-22]

DocNappers

On 10/27/2022 at 4:55 PM, DocNappers said:

I don't really know what you're asking for here and Sidestrafe2462 already gave you something of an answer.

Basically GPS bombs with wings for standoff, maybe a booster stage. I spent a few hours trying to make them with custom missiles a whiles back, works poorly because they self detonate without thrust. (can we get a setting there to change the auto self destruct)

32 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

Basically GPS bombs with wings for standoff, maybe a booster stage. I spent a few hours trying to make them with custom missiles a whiles back, works poorly because they self detonate without thrust. (can we get a setting there to change the auto self destruct)

Isn't that basically just an air-to-surface missile at that point? Anyway, I think SI would be the one to talk to about that sort of thing.

would it be possible to add a palletsized weapons module, like the rapid dragon designed for C-130 and C-17? or at the very least, a AGM-158B? if it is, can it be done in a fassion that allows it to fit in a size 2 fusalage, or at least mk3 cargo bay? I really don't know how to code at all, just FYI

RAPID DRAGON – Air Force Research LaboratoryRapid Dragon (missile system) - Wikipedia

Edited by Kerbal410

I have been trying to make something where a gun on some structural part or bomb rack on a TOW turret will (the whole contraption) rotate, allowing a large gun turret for less weight. However, the top two parts (gun and other part) do not move with the missile turret. I have tried action group enabling the same part interactions, but the turret only pushes the gun around, instead of the gun and structural part moving with the turret like the missile does. Any solution?

Found a problem with BDA Plus and Modular Missiles.  When building a simple two stage missile  both engines fire at launch while the engines are assigned to separate action groups. Tested this again in a simple installation
 with only BDA and the required mods still the issue is present. Simply modular missiles is causing all engines to fire at once.

Version: BDArmory Plus-1.5.4.0

Retested with earlier version 1.5.0.0 no problem. Some change in the recent updates might be causing this.

Edited by OmegaForce

On 11/7/2022 at 2:05 PM, OmegaForce said:

Found a problem with BDA Plus and Modular Missiles.  When building a simple two stage missile  both engines fire at launch while the engines are assigned to separate action groups. Tested this again in a simple installation
 with only BDA and the required mods still the issue is present. Simply modular missiles is causing all engines to fire at once.

Version: BDArmory Plus-1.5.4.0

OK, I see where that's going wrong. I'll fix it for the next release.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to make weapons take ammunition from inventory (stock or KIS)?
And these ammunition would be ordinary physical objects
There is something similar in the game, where repair kits are used to repair antennas, wheels and solar panels

I just looked at this mod and asked myself this question

It would be cool to shoot a Javelin with a real guided missile

2. Is it possible to add a complex flight profile (like Javelin's)?

3. Does the current version of BDA+ implement a change in the trajectory of ammunition under the influence of gravity?

Edited by Ilya_G

18 hours ago, Ilya_G said:

Questions:

1. Is it possible to make weapons take ammunition from inventory (stock or KIS)?
And these ammunition would be ordinary physical objects
There is something similar in the game, where repair kits are used to repair antennas, wheels and solar panels

I just looked at this mod and asked myself this question

It would be cool to shoot a Javelin with a real guided missile

2. Is it possible to add a complex flight profile (like Javelin's)?

3. Does the current version of BDA+ implement a change in the trajectory of ammunition under the influence of gravity?

1. The ammo in most weapons is just a resource (like fuel), not an inventory item, so that wouldn't work. A weapon that did use inventory items like that would need a completely new weapon module to handle such logic.

2. Some missiles have complicated flight profiles, but I don't have that much experience with missiles, so maybe someone else can answer that better.

3. Yes, gravitational effects for ammo with mass (i.e., not lasers or some custom weapons) are accounted for. The bullets' trajectories are propagated using the symplectic leapfrog integrator, which gives the same trajectory as the built-in symplectic integrator. Drag (in air) isn't accounted for in the trajectory though, only in the collision.

14 hours ago, Kung_fu1015 said:

Are there any plans for new items in the mod? Bdarmoury is amazing, but the one problem I have with it is the lack of content.

BDArmory has always been a framework with only a limited selection of parts demonstrating what's possible. For a larger selection of parts, there exists mods like AirplanePlusModerately Plane RelatedBDArmory-Extended and numerous others, just search on spacedock for BDArmory-related mods.

Also, an option to make cruise missile auto cut out for a glide path to target would be cool.

The drop-time, boost-time and cruise-time are all configurable parameters when designing missiles, as is their guidance types for those stages and for terminal guidance. Have a look at the various missiles provided by some of the BDArmory-related mods.

Another question: will it be possible to add space-based weaponry and items. Exsisting radar/armour probably wont cut it

Weapons, armour and radar work in space (there's even a space-radar that disables itself in atmosphere) and there exists a number of space/future/fantasy based BDArmory-related mods.

22 hours ago, Kung_fu1015 said:

Also, what is the name of the space radar?

The module is ModuleSpaceRadar. I'm not aware of any existing part that currently uses it, but the support is there for it in BDA+.

I don't have any recommendations for space-based mods, but if you're using BDA at orbital speeds, then you will need to enable "Vessel-Relative Bullet Checks" for the bullet collision checks to work properly (it's more computationally expensive than the default, but is needed at higher velocities).

I was thinking of a concept for BDA, more of a utility where it would either be a custom motor or a custom feature for breaking ground servos, where you can set motors to follow your cursor and act as a turret when you put a weapon on them, so you select the motors and map it to a weapon so you can make custom turrets. Just an idea, tell me what you think

I may be the 2nd or 3rd to suggest this, but can you please allow other parts to be mounted on turrets, for example a TOW turret on a M1 turret, or even a M270 on a M1, or both? And have that turret, now with another turret on top or so, rotate altogether when any of the weapons are selected? Lastly, @Jackolol love the idea of using servos. If I knew how to code I’d 100% do it

Edited by Kerbal410

10 hours ago, Jackolol said:

I was thinking of a concept for BDA, more of a utility where it would either be a custom motor or a custom feature for breaking ground servos, where you can set motors to follow your cursor and act as a turret when you put a weapon on them, so you select the motors and map it to a weapon so you can make custom turrets. Just an idea, tell me what you think

What you're asking for is known as inverse kinematics, and depending on the number of servos used, can require solving for an optimal solution of an under- or over-constrained kinematic chain (the under-constrained case would require extra constraints to make up for the excess degrees of freedom). This is far from a simple task and I expect it would be far more computationally expensive than what KSP allows for on a frame-by-frame basis. Basic turrets work since the number of degrees-of-freedom matches the constraint space (i.e., just pitch and yaw) and their axes of rotation are orthogonal.

Jailbreaking Breaking Ground servos to respond to mouse look is unlikely to happen.
Enabling guns (and especially turrets) to be mounted on turrets is also not an insubstantial ask, as it would require major revisions to the turret and AI weapon management code., as well as rebuilding/re-exporting  a number of BDA parts we no longer have the source assets for. This isn't to say its impossible, but it's not going to be happening in the near future.

5 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

Jailbreaking Breaking Ground servos to respond to mouse look is unlikely to happen.
Enabling guns (and especially turrets) to be mounted on turrets is also not an insubstantial ask, as it would require major revisions to the turret and AI weapon management code., as well as rebuilding/re-exporting  a number of BDA parts we no longer have the source assets for. This isn't to say its impossible, but it's not going to be happening in the near future.

is it at least possible for a ADATS/MMEV turret to be added? or at the least a PAVE Penny and APKWS?

Edited by Kerbal410

8 hours ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

For a stationary turret it can be done with already existing tools by using 2 KAL controllers and a mod Mouse Aim Flight to convert mouse movement into pitch and yaw input. Not sure about mouse aim flight but KALs and joystick work just fine for me.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:19 AM, Manul said:

For a stationary turret it can be done with already existing tools by using 2 KAL controllers and a mod Mouse Aim Flight to convert mouse movement into pitch and yaw input. Not sure about mouse aim flight but KALs and joystick work just fine for me.

you, sir, are a genius.

unrelated, any mod with gear that partially retracts, ideal for gear-up landings, similar to the A-10s main gear? that's all my A-10 is missing (minus APKWS rockets)

FIND OUT HOW THIS A-10 PILOT WAS ABLE TO LAND WITH NO CANOPY AND LANDING  GEAR UP - The Aviation Geek Club

some random photo I found showing the gear visible when retracted

1 hour ago, Kerbal410 said:

any mod with gear that partially retracts

That would be awesome but I'm not sure that it's even possible with stock ModuleWheelDeployment and ModuleWheelBase. I mean when the retracted landing gear still has it's wheel colliders acting like wheel colliders not like brick colliders. Wheels are pain.  Buffalo wheels used to work both in retracted and extended state but they stopped doing it a few KSP and Unity updates ago.