Stock VR Support

Want VR support? (NOT SAYING AT LAUNCH OR EVEN 1.0 RELEASE)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want VR support?

• Yes, more so because I want to fly
    • Yes, more so because I want to build
    • No, I don't want VR support in the game
    • Apathetic about VR

Haven't seen a thread on this topic in here so thought I'd bring it up.

Personally I'd like to experience sitting on my living room floor and putting together a ship/jet/anything with my hands and  be able to walk around it and inspect it. I'm not a programmer but, naively, I don't think this would be hard to bring into the game. Also, sitting in the cockpit would be really fun to experience. I just found out KSP 1 has a mod thats been finally updated for 1.12.3+ and will give the flight and when I'm done working today I'm going to give it a try.

Either way, I know I'm not the only one.

EDIT: I have edited the poll, the intention of the options was to find where preference was for where VR would be wanted most. At the time of changing the poll was:

15 respondants (multiple choice)

EDIT 2: changed poll title to clarify that there is no timeframe implied

EDIT 3: added apathetic option

14 - 7 - 9 (25 voters)

Edited by mcwaffles2003

3 hours ago, Vl3d said:

It's not a priority. Good, detailed and functional flight decks / cockpits should come first.

I think those are a prerequisite for VR support. 

As for the main question, i think both building and flying would be nice. I don’t have VR myself, but people I know who do say that NMS gave them a better feeling of space travel than anything else they’ve tried, simply because of the immersion. Having KSP in VR might be the best representation of space travel as a whole in that medium. Sure there are very realistic space walk games and probably others that cover different aspects of space, but I bet that none deliver the combined realism, scope, and fun that KSP has to offer. 

10 minutes ago, Catto said:

I have glasses, but not contacts. I can't fit my glasses on over a vr headset, and the thought of sticking a thin tiny lens in your eye freaks me out.

I sympathize about contacts, got lasek cause burning my eyes with lasers is somehow les freaky to me...

That said, quest 2 comes with a spacer to make room for glasses

Just now, Stephensan said:

you forgot an option

"i got VR, i want VR but i don't think its necessary as of right now to implement a feature like this"

or idk just a "other"

Wouldn't that just fall under "No, I don't want VR support in the game"?

Also, once again:

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I 'm not saying i want to see this feature at launch or 1.0...

I just want to see the feature dude

I am not asking this be in the game at launch or even at 1.0, never said anything like that or about time...  I'm just wondering who wants/doesn't want something like this and if they do, what would they want it for.

Just now, mcwaffles2003 said:

Wouldn't that just fall under "No, I don't want VR support in the game"?

Also, once again:

I am not asking this be in the game at launch or even at 1.0, never said anything like that or about time...  I'm just wondering who wants/doesn't want something like this and if they do, what would they want it for.

No, it wouldn't fall into i don't want VR support to this game.. 

in your initial response of this topic there is zero statement of what you said in the second part.

im interested in VR, but the complete undertaking making it a playable vr and not just "oh just off set the second eye by XYZ, and make it so you cannot walk and you are locked in position, is another thing.

there is mutable types of "implementation of vr" and how much time, i would rather have a decent VR support with graphic changes, controller cockpits etc. than just a VR visual port with zero optimization.

6 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

No, it wouldn't fall into i don't want VR support to this game.. 

in your initial response of this topic there is zero statement of what you said in the second part.

im interested in VR, but the complete undertaking making it a playable vr and not just "oh just off set the second eye by XYZ, and make it so you cannot walk and you are locked in position, is another thing.

there is mutable types of "implementation of vr" and how much time, i would rather have a decent VR support with graphic changes, controller cockpits etc. than just a VR visual port with zero optimization.

So you do want VR then ? You're making this question much more in depth than it's meant to go. There is not meant to be any implication of time of implementation, manner of implementation, etc...

yes------------   more so for flying?

/                       \______more so for building?

Just do you want vr?

\    

no

1 minute ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So you do want VR then ? You're making this question much more in depth than it's meant to go. There is not meant to be any implication of time of implementation, manner of implementation, etc...

yes------------   more so for flying?

/                       \______more so for building?

Just do you want vr?

\    

no

Yes i have money, yes i would like this item, yes im interested, no i won't buy it due to X, this does not mean i hate it or don't need/want it, it means im neutral due to X it doesn't fall into not wanting it, or wanting it.

Just now, Stephensan said:

Yes i have money, yes i would like this item, yes im interested, no i won't buy it due to X, this does not mean i hate it or don't need/want it, it means im neutral due to X it doesn't fall into not wanting it, or wanting it.

Would you care to just make a replacement poll then? Ill just ask the mods to lock my thread if you do.

8 hours ago, Catto said:

my nearsightedness strikes again! i am unable to see using vr!

You can use VR, it's just uncomfortable, and with just nearsightedness you might be able to adjust the focus by changing how far the headset is from your face, but I also have nearsightedness and an astigmatism and my prescription is barley to low for contacts so to use VR I have to deal with the tiny nose things digging into my face.

10 hours ago, Ryaja said:

You can use VR, it's just uncomfortable, and with just nearsightedness you might be able to adjust the focus by changing how far the headset is from your face, but I also have nearsightedness and an astigmatism and my prescription is barley to low for contacts so to use VR I have to deal with the tiny nose things digging into my face.

There's a company out in Germany that makes prescription lens inserts for common HMDs. They fit into place over the inbuilt lenses and let you take off your actual eyeglasses. Around 100 dollars, including shipping to NA, not cheap but considering prescription spectacles here typically cost from $200 to $800 it's remarkably affordable.

7 hours ago, LordJuice said:

I personally would love to see this. If it was possible to do third camera person (like standard ksp gameplay) but in vr, that would be the coolest thing ever.

Hadn't even thought about that and it sounds like it might be difficult to implement but that would be dope

I mean, saying "No, I don't want VR support in the game" is bit stronger than I'd like to put it. I'm not interested in it, and would never use it, but I'm not against it being there for others to use? That option makes it seem like I'm campaigning for it not to be in the game, but I'm not, you know?

3 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

I mean, saying "No, I don't want VR support in the game" is bit stronger than I'd like to put it. I'm not interested in it, and would never use it, but I'm not against it being there for others to use? That option makes it seem like I'm campaigning for it not to be in the game, but I'm not, you know?

Have added the "Apathetic" option